Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby E_M_E_T on Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi everyone!

As a youtube content creator who has seen a DRAMATIC increase in viewcounts, sub increase, etc., I can easily say that, because I am a microscopic, atom-sized youtuber compared to most youtubers out there, Rocket League can and will lead to people asking for partnerships and contracts to monetize Rocket League videos. Now, according to Youtube's rules, as long as there's related commentary that has "instructional or educational value," which could range from straight up commentary/reactions to full strategy guides, anyone is allowed to monetize their gameplay videos without permission. However, the exception is if the game developer/company has explicitly stated otherwise, such as Blizzard Entertainment.

I'm not saying that just because I monetize my videos without Psyonix's permission, Dave isn't going to eat his bread. I'm just asking if there are rules that Psyonix has stated about gameplay videos, copyright, all that stuff.

Thanks,
E_M_E_T

P.S. You guys need to update the picture on the Psyonix homepage. I don't see Jeremy in the photo. :(
Image
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
User avatar
Aerialistic
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:33 pm
PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: California

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Dirkened on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:33 am

You're good to go, we have no problem with youtubers monetizing their RL videos
Rocket League Associate Community Specialist
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
User avatar
Psyonix Developer
 
Posts: 4163
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:17 pm
PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby MonkeyBrad91 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:39 am

That being said, if you wanted to slyly hand a certain community manager a cut of the profits, it's reported that you are LESS likely to have your legs bashed in by an angry bald man.
Image
"When Man makes something foolproof, Nature makes a better fool."
MonkeyBrad91
Acrobatic
User avatar
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:06 am
Location: London
PSN ID: MonkeyBrad91
Steam ID: Gazebo
Region: PS4 EU.

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Steiner84 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:34 am

also to make sure (ive asked this in some other thread but got no answer): Is it OK to use the RL Soundtrack as music for montage videos?
Steiner84
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 1:37 pm
Location: Germany
PSN ID: Steiner84
Region: EU

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby The_deceased on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:33 am

You mean copywrites.
Image
Image
Image
The_deceased
Assault-Craft
User avatar
Assault-Craft
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:29 am
PSN ID: The_deceased
Region: (US-E/EU/ME)

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Cinnadillo on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:46 am

MonkeyBrad91 wrote:That being said, if you wanted to slyly hand a certain community manager a cut of the profits, it's reported that you are LESS likely to have your legs bashed in by an angry bald man.


and under the table money is non-taxable so you'd really be doing them a favor :P
Image
Cinnadillo
Acrobatic
User avatar
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 am
PSN ID: Cinnadillo
Region: US

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby XephTheGreat on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:57 am

I have a question 0_0, I uploaded a RL YouTube video recently, not on my Xeph's Xtreme Gaming or theNSC2 :cheesygrin: YouTube Channel but on my NSC1clan channel and probably a week later I got hit with a copyright notice. My first notice ever in the history of copyright notices....on the NSC1clan channel. I read that you guys allow people to use any RL footage for videos but the claimant name is Flex_DMA and not Psyonix and I was like :shock: . What should I do? :cry:
XephTheGreat
Supersonic
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 am
PSN ID: RealXephTheGreat
Steam ID: XephTheGreat
Region: United States

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Dirkened on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:17 pm

XephTheGreat wrote:I have a question 0_0, I uploaded a RL YouTube video recently, not on my Xeph's Xtreme Gaming or theNSC2 :cheesygrin: YouTube Channel but on my NSC1clan channel and probably a week later I got hit with a copyright notice. My first notice ever in the history of copyright notices....on the NSC1clan channel. I read that you guys allow people to use any RL footage for videos but the claimant name is Flex_DMA and not Psyonix and I was like :shock: . What should I do? :cry:


I see after a quick search that they tend to pop up for a lot of false claims. If it's just Rocket League related you should be fine in disputing it
Rocket League Associate Community Specialist
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
User avatar
Psyonix Developer
 
Posts: 4163
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:17 pm
PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby BatmanAndRobin1416 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:49 pm

So I can just record a video of Rocket League then upload it on YouTube then monetize that video
BatmanAndRobin1416
Supersonic
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:44 pm
PSN ID: ZGR_14
Region: US

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Waterbottle on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:33 pm

BatmanAndRobin1416 wrote:So I can just record a video of Rocket League then upload it on YouTube then monetize that video


Yes :D
Problems with launching Rocket League? Please check this out
Problems logging in to Rocket League servers? Try this
Waterbottle
Expeditious
User avatar
Expeditious
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 am
Region: EU

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Maruseru on Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:40 pm

Just a question to make everything clear for me :D
Does everyone who wants to record videos of Rocket League have to ask on his/her own whether he/she is allowed to publish videos? Or is everone free make videos?
I'm asking because i found this sentence on the steam shop site and now i was confused : "Rocket League, the logo, and other trademarks are trademarks of Psyonix, Inc and may not be used without permission."
So.. Am I allowed to record and upload videos or not? ^^
Thx for an answer ^^
Maruseru
Supersonic
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:26 pm
Steam ID: maruserukun
Region: EU

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby IdleHacker on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:19 am

Maruseru wrote:Just a question to make everything clear for me :D
Does everyone who wants to record videos of Rocket League have to ask on his/her own whether he/she is allowed to publish videos? Or is everone free make videos?
I'm asking because i found this sentence on the steam shop site and now i was confused : "Rocket League, the logo, and other trademarks are trademarks of Psyonix, Inc and may not be used without permission."
So.. Am I allowed to record and upload videos or not? ^^
Thx for an answer ^^

No, they have made a blanket statement that everyone can monetize their videos. You have permission to use those for that specific use, but would have to ask to use them for something else
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. - Benjamin Franklin
Integrity has no need of rules. - Albert Camus

Helpful links - Rocket League FAQ - Forum Icon legend
IdleHacker
ARC Beta Tester
User avatar
ARC Beta Tester
 
Posts: 4040
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:42 pm
Location: Pacific, MO
PSN ID: IdleHacker
Steam ID: jeff_carter
Region: US

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Tenacious on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:12 pm

Can we use the RL Soundtrack within Monetized Video's?
Tenacious
Supersonic
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm
Steam ID: ']['enacious
Region: United Kingdom

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Gonzo HFE on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:30 am

and whats about use the RL-logo for make a t-shirt or something like that?
Gonzo HFE
Supersonic
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:27 am
Steam ID: My.Con | Gonzo
Region: EU

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby jcwjcw on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:33 am

is there an answer for if we are aloud to monitize rocket league gameplay ?
jcwjcw
Supersonic
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:30 am
Steam ID: jcwjcw

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Waterbottle on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:39 am

jcwjcw wrote:is there an answer for if we are aloud to monitize rocket league gameplay ?


You have an answer in this same thread you're currently in:

Dirkened wrote:You're good to go, we have no problem with youtubers monetizing their RL videos
Problems with launching Rocket League? Please check this out
Problems logging in to Rocket League servers? Try this
Waterbottle
Expeditious
User avatar
Expeditious
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 am
Region: EU

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby OsoMako on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:30 am

I mean it only makes sense to allow it. Content creators only increase a game's popularity by encouraging players to play the game more to be like the cool Youtubers. It isn't like Psyonix is going to make all those videos themselves, so it's not any money out of their pockets. Probably just money in their pockets.
Steam and Psyonix Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako
Moderator
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:24 am
Location: California
Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby N7Mith on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:51 am

Tell that to Nintendo. From what I hear they go totally nazi on monetizing their gamevideos.
RocketID: N7Mith#7623
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
User avatar
Fully Garrulous
 
Posts: 3374
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 12:17 am
PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby Waterbottle on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:08 am

OsoMako wrote:I mean it only makes sense to allow it. Content creators only increase a game's popularity by encouraging players to play the game more to be like the cool Youtubers. It isn't like Psyonix is going to make all those videos themselves, so it's not any money out of their pockets. Probably just money in their pockets.


Also these videos are somewhat the reason Psyonix didn't spend a single dollar on marketing. Well played, Jeremy!
Problems with launching Rocket League? Please check this out
Problems logging in to Rocket League servers? Try this
Waterbottle
Expeditious
User avatar
Expeditious
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 am
Region: EU

Re: Rocket League Copyright/Monetization Rules

Postby N7Mith on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 am

Waterbottle wrote:
OsoMako wrote:I mean it only makes sense to allow it. Content creators only increase a game's popularity by encouraging players to play the game more to be like the cool Youtubers. It isn't like Psyonix is going to make all those videos themselves, so it's not any money out of their pockets. Probably just money in their pockets.


Also these videos are somewhat the reason Psyonix didn't spend a single dollar on marketing. Well played, Jeremy!


Noice!
RocketID: N7Mith#7623
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
User avatar
Fully Garrulous
 
Posts: 3374
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 12:17 am
PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests