Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby AttackerYou on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 pm

I've been playing rocket league for a while and I'm to the point where team coordination is a really important part of playing and winning. The issue is I can never tell which name-plates are mine and which belong to the other team so calling out is hard. I know there's a colour-blind mode in-game but there's only one and colour-blindness is such a broad condition to be able to solve with one option, including my specific condition (Achromatopsia).
Achromatopsia is a rare eye consition that has a very unique kind of colour-blindness attached to it.
The short of it is that for me, the shade is more important than the colour. The blue and orange used are both bright shades and the yellow-ish and purple-ish shades that colour-blind mode turns them into are also very similar to me. A perfect soloution would be to make one team's name-plate black and the other white, but I can understand if and why that's unreasonable. Making the blue team a very bright skye-blue similar to the one it already is while making the orange team a much brighter blood-orange-esque red-orange would also be fantastic. As long as the shades of the two colours are very highly contrasted, it'll work well with my type of colour-blindness.

I don't understand how possible it is to implement this kind of thing if at all, but I'd love it if the idea can at least be considered. The inclusion of disibility-access to games is really important to a lot of people. Even if not many come up and say it. Thanks for any possible consideration.
AttackerYou
Supersonic
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 pm
PSN ID: NoNo
Steam ID: The_Evil_Train
Region: United States

Re: Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby Rufmeister on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 am

AttackerYou wrote:I've been playing rocket league for a while and I'm to the point where team coordination is a really important part of playing and winning. The issue is I can never tell which name-plates are mine and which belong to the other team so calling out is hard. I know there's a colour-blind mode in-game but there's only one and colour-blindness is such a broad condition to be able to solve with one option, including my specific condition (Achromatopsia).
Achromatopsia is a rare eye consition that has a very unique kind of colour-blindness attached to it.
The short of it is that for me, the shade is more important than the colour. The blue and orange used are both bright shades and the yellow-ish and purple-ish shades that colour-blind mode turns them into are also very similar to me. A perfect soloution would be to make one team's name-plate black and the other white, but I can understand if and why that's unreasonable. Making the blue team a very bright skye-blue similar to the one it already is while making the orange team a much brighter blood-orange-esque red-orange would also be fantastic. As long as the shades of the two colours are very highly contrasted, it'll work well with my type of colour-blindness.

I don't understand how possible it is to implement this kind of thing if at all, but I'd love it if the idea can at least be considered. The inclusion of disibility-access to games is really important to a lot of people. Even if not many come up and say it. Thanks for any possible consideration.


I agree it is important. Although it may not help at all, have you tried enabling "High Contrast Name-Plates" within Rocket League settings? It may not do much but does it benefit at all?
Rufmeister
Battle-Car
Battle-Car
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: United States
Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Re: Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby AttackerYou on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:02 am

Nah sadly not. The idea is great and I have friends who love it, but it doesn't quite get the job done for me. The white border actually makes the nameplate colour harder to see sadly.
Thanks though, i appreciate the replay and the concern.
AttackerYou
Supersonic
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 pm
PSN ID: NoNo
Steam ID: The_Evil_Train
Region: United States

Re: Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby Rufmeister on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 am

AttackerYou wrote:Nah sadly not. The idea is great and I have friends who love it, but it doesn't quite get the job done for me. The white border actually makes the nameplate colour harder to see sadly.
Thanks though, i appreciate the replay and the concern.


I see what you mean, similar to how in FPS games how blues turn a bright purple and other colors to help with color blindness in those games.. Hopefully they see this and can add this feature. Conditions of this sort should never be setbacks for playing games.
Rufmeister
Battle-Car
Battle-Car
 
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: United States
Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Re: Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby Tentacles on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 am

My color blind friend would greatly appreciate this.
Image
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
User avatar
Exceptionally Loquacious
 
Posts: 2814
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:19 pm
Location: SL, UT
Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Re: Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby AttackerYou on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 am

Tentacles wrote:My color blind friend would greatly appreciate this.


Yeah, totally. I know I'm not the only one who would benifit from this. As long as it benifits a small number of people it's worth consideration at the very least.
AttackerYou
Supersonic
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 pm
PSN ID: NoNo
Steam ID: The_Evil_Train
Region: United States

Re: Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby AttackerYou on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am

Rufmeister wrote:
AttackerYou wrote:Nah sadly not. The idea is great and I have friends who love it, but it doesn't quite get the job done for me. The white border actually makes the nameplate colour harder to see sadly.
Thanks though, i appreciate the replay and the concern.


I see what you mean, similar to how in FPS games how blues turn a bright purple and other colors to help with color blindness in those games.. Hopefully they see this and can add this feature. Conditions of this sort should never be setbacks for playing games.


Yeah! Let's hope it gets noticed and isn't a pain to implement.
The issue with traditional colour-blind modes is that they're usually only effective for a very specific kind of red-blue blindness, which is only a small portion of range of colour-blindness varieties out there. Focusing on shade-contrast instead of straight-up colour contrast is actually a sure-fire way to make it work for everyone, not just people with one type.
AttackerYou
Supersonic
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 pm
PSN ID: NoNo
Steam ID: The_Evil_Train
Region: United States

Re: Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby Tentacles on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Most games are implementing this feature. It's a more common problem then one would think.
Image
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
User avatar
Exceptionally Loquacious
 
Posts: 2814
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:19 pm
Location: SL, UT
Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Re: Improved/Redesigned Colour-Blind Function

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 pm

AttackerYou wrote:The white border actually makes the nameplate colour harder to see sadly.

Only the opponent's nameplates get that white border.

In addition to that, the shape on them is different.
Your team will have rounded ends, and the opponent's will have pointed ends.
When you're far away from an opponent, their car will be labeled with a diamond shape.
NoOne-NBA
Moderator
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 2660
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:40 am
Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW


Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests