Feed training shots with replay data

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

Feed training shots with replay data

Postby Scyonite on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Some major brainwaves just came to me when watching some Rocket League edits. How about the ability to use the replays as simulations for training purposes (with or without all players present)? I mean the best way to learn new stuff is to be able to learn from mistakes. But the training packs now are just shots that make you exercise your skill and never truly reflect your shortcomings.

The replay save files must save all mechanical values in a game, otherwise it can't simulate the replay you're looking at from all perceivable angles. So if the replay viewer would show a feature to the likes of "feed current snapshot into a 10 second training", it would feed all the current mechanical values (of the ball and your car) in a training in which you can re-apply yourself and see if your mistake was fixable or just redo that shot until you get it. The notion of also including the players is interesting; it could just simulate the players with all the inputs made in these 10 seconds, but messing with the players' cars would yield some funny results. So this leaves some question marks, but it would yield a very practical training.

It could be that I'm entirely mistaken and that the data from a replay is not sufficient or compressed in such a way it can't be realized in an active environment anymore, but I wanted to at least share this idea and see what others think of it. Imagine you can try an exact shot squishy would've made in a tournament and, in a real sense, compare yourself to him, given that these trainings can also be shared. I think it'd be very awesome.
When nothing works - Get silly, but be respectful. Be happy you got matched against me, giving you room to improve!
Scyonite
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Re: Feed training shots with replay data

Postby N7Mith on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 am

Excellent idea! It could also make team training work; with each player selecting a car to take over. (or spectate of course) And there have been a lot of requests for options to get cars/objects in training, so that would be tackled as well.
I'd love going into a replay and selecting a couple ~10s moments, then go in with friend(s), watch the original, and try to do better. It's a lot more appealing to me than the custom training options we have now.
Check out my reviews for awesome Star Wars fan-films!
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby dunkelziffer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 am

This idea has been posted years ago.
- we can't edit replays, yet (add timestamps afterwards, trim them, add keyframes for camera position, concatenate them)
- we can't share them via the Steam Workshop
- we can't auto-generate training shots from them

Stop wasting your time on this forum. Psyonix has stopped listening.
dunkelziffer
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Scyonite on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 am

Oh it has? Well could've tried.

On the other hand. All you're stating is what's currently not available, right? Not what never can be?
When nothing works - Get silly, but be respectful. Be happy you got matched against me, giving you room to improve!
Scyonite
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby N7Mith on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:13 am

dunkelziffer wrote:This idea has been posted years ago.
- we can't edit replays, yet (add timestamps afterwards, trim them, add keyframes for camera position, concatenate them)
- we can't share them via the Steam Workshop
- we can't auto-generate training shots from them

Stop wasting your time on this forum. Psyonix has stopped listening.

Thanks for this incredibly constructive post :roll:
On pc you can actually send replays to friends. Find the folder they're saved in and attach it by any means that allows attachments. They're not even that much data.
Use video editors with screencapture mode to record the pieces you want. They're much better suited for that task.

Scyonite wrote:All you're stating is what's currently not available, right? Not what never can be?

Indeed. I imagine this feature wouldn't even be that hard to code.
Check out my reviews for awesome Star Wars fan-films!
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby dunkelziffer on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 am

N7Mith wrote:On pc you can actually send replays to friends. Find the folder they're saved in and attach it by any means that allows attachments. They're not even that much data.

1. It is really annoying to sort out the right replays.
2. Maybe I don't want to share them with one person but for everybody instead? E.g. tournament replays.

N7Mith wrote:Use video editors with screencapture mode to record the pieces you want. They're much better suited for that task.

Montages aren't the only application of replays. Some people analyze them and even do coaching. Being able to compile a list of important scenes while retaining full camera control has its benefits.

N7Mith wrote:Indeed. I imagine this feature wouldn't even be that hard to code.

That's why I'm so grumpy. It's easy and it has been requested for a really long time.
dunkelziffer
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Return to Suggestions