Why not hide the individual points until the end?

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

Why not hide the individual points until the end?

Postby Burung on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:21 am

Like you do with the ranks etc.

Ballchasers and selfish players focus so much on how many points THEYVE got - whilst as a team youre losing 6-1.

Its irrelevant in what is ostensibly a team game.

Thanks
Burung
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: BurungBulbul
Region: EU

Re: Why not hide the individual points until the end?

Postby littlebigleg on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:24 am

this makes sense
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby zGreenMachine- on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:04 am

yeah there's really no reason to see the scoreboard or anything mid match I guess. If they just kept the names of players and their pings that'd be cool with me.
psyonix
zGreenMachine-
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US Central

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 am

zGreenMachine- wrote:yeah there's really no reason to see the scoreboard or anything mid match I guess. If they just kept the names of players and their pings that'd be cool with me.

I've been suggesting Psyonix do away with individual points for at least a couple years now.
Any good that comes from seeing them mid-match is heavily outweighed by the fuel such statistics provide to trolls.

I would like to see an expanded tally of who did what, at the end of the match, to include things like centers/clears/etc...
I'd even like to see them find a way to add things like "midfield stops", and "time spent in goal box", to the individual stats.
Having team statistics, like "time with ball on opponent's end of the field", would be a great addition as well.
I think even that stuff should all be hidden mid-match though.

Who did what can provide incentive for improvement, and information to help facilitate such improvements, when given at the end of a match.
During a match it just amplifies the opportunities for toxicity.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Postby littlebigleg on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:23 am

Also stop assholes risking tieing the game in the last 10 seconds trying to steal mvp,I got a few buddys that do that stuff :x
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:34 am

littlebigleg wrote:Also stop assholes risking tieing the game in the last 10 seconds trying to steal mvp,I got a few buddys that do that stuff :x

You need to get better friends.
The only thing my friends do, which is even remotely close to that, is stealing each other's goals.

The entire group of us has an understanding that no ball is "in" until it explodes.
We don't care who gets credit for the goal, individually, as long as the TEAM gets credit for it, as expeditiously as possible.
If YOU wanted individual credit for a goal that is slowly rolling toward the goal, you should have hit it harder.
NoOne-NBA

Postby littlebigleg on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:16 am

i tell my friends i need better friends all the time
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby PrincessJuniper on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:I've been suggesting Psyonix do away with individual points for at least a couple years now.
Any good that comes from seeing them mid-match is heavily outweighed by the fuel such statistics provide to trolls.

I agree, this is a great idea, it bothers me how people use individual points as a way of attacking you or justifying their bad behaviour when the game isn't won by who has collected the most points. Statistics that heavily focus on someone's involvement with the game like you suggested rather than how they've hit the ball regardless of context would incentivise more thought based gameplay.
PrincessJuniper
Supersonic

Steam ID: PrincessJoanna
Region: United Kingdom

Postby Glassman94 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:25 am

typo typo
Last edited by Glassman94 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glassman94
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Glassman94

Postby Glassman94 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:37 am

Glassman94 wrote:
NoOne-NBA wrote:
littlebigleg wrote:Also stop assholes risking tieing the game in the last 10 seconds trying to steal mvp,I got a few buddys that do that stuff :x

You need to get better friends.
The only thing my friends do, which is even remotely close to that, is stealing each other's goals.

The entire group of us has an understanding that no ball is "in" until it explodes.
We don't care who gets credit for the goal, individually, as long as the TEAM gets credit for it, as expeditiously as possible.
If YOU wanted individual credit for a goal that is slowly rolling toward the goal, you should have hit it harder.

Sounds like you would be a great teammate.
I've always felt the most important statistic in R/L is not how many goals someone makes. It's the assist and save percentage.

And I'd rather see the summary screen show real information instead of some meaningless number. As things are now, the "me" generation is given incentive to play "me" style games.

A summary screen showing centers, clears, etc would be more relevant and might lead to more civilized behavior in the games.
Or course I'm assuming this is a team sport, which many others obviously don't.

PS: how about this ------- the summary compares your goals vs assists vs saves than then displays if you are playing a "me" or "we" game. They can try to bribe us with XP and goofy wheels but shame is the true motivator in an on-line world.
Glassman94
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:04 am

Glassman94 wrote:Sounds like you would be a great teammate.

You may be able to find out...someday...if Psyonix ever gets Rocket ID up and running.

Glassman94 wrote:I've always felt the most important statistic in R/L is not how many goals someone makes. It's the assist and save percentage...

For me, the only thing that matters, AT ALL, is having fun with friends.

I don't care who does what, or how much each player is able to contribute to the overall effort.
I don't care if we are playing Ranked, Unranked, Public, Private, Soccar, Sports Modes, or Stupid Combo Mutator Mashups.
I don't even truly care if we win or lose, as long as we're having fun.

We had a private match last night that ended up 41-5 because one team was right on top of the "no goal reset" mutator, with "Spikes Only", "10x Boost" and "Permanent Boost" in play.
There was literally nothing we could do to stop them, with any regularity.
We even had people swap teams, mid-match, or it would have been worse.
We laughed about it while it was happening, and went on to the next match when it was done.
NoOne-NBA

Postby Glassman94 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:34 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:
Glassman94 wrote:Sounds like you would be a great teammate.

You may be able to find out...someday...if Psyonix ever gets Rocket ID up and running.

Considering some of my past posts, graciousness greater than I deserve. Thank you.
Glassman94
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Glassman94 wrote:Considering some of my past posts, graciousness greater than I deserve. Thank you.

You're welcome.

I've always found grudges to be the demesne of the weak.
Mercy, forgiveness and tolerance are gifts only the strong can bestow willingly.
The weak can be forced/coerced to display such traits, but do they truly exist, when gained through compulsion?

I'm confident enough in myself, and in my own ideas, to ignore a lot of things that are said, or happen, in the heat of the moment.
I've always tended to be a peacekeeper, both literally and figuratively.
You can't do that with an overactive ego.
NoOne-NBA

Return to Suggestions