Weird lag/controller input /car becomes slowed down

Where the community helps the community! Post any technical issues you experience here.

Re: Weird lag/controller input /car becomes slowed down

Postby Reehan on Sun May 13, 2018 3:18 am

I discovered this morning that HCB does not affect me while in a Steam Workshop. Like at all. I was running the Slalom course when I noticed it, wanted to test out an adjustment I made to Controller Deadzone. I decided to Subscribe to the Dribbling Challenge #2 to see if the same would be true and interestingly enough, still no HCB. Not sure if this has been discussed previously but I felt it may be useful, this would also indicate that Free Play still interfaces with RL servers in my mind, HCB is alive and well in any Training Mode I run for that matter.
Reehan
Supersonic

PSN ID: thegamelolol
Steam ID: Reehan
Region: US

Postby Tentacles on Sun May 13, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm working on a fix right now, forcing my network to be private. So far it seems to be reducing HCB, now I'm working on modifying nat settings.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Reehan on Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Tentacles wrote:I'm working on a fix right now, forcing my network to be private. So far it seems to be reducing HCB, now I'm working on modifying nat settings.

Looking forward to the results!
Reehan
Supersonic

Postby Redstar on Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 am

I think I could have a pretty simple explanation for this "Heavy car bug"

When there is heavy load on servers during the day (many people playing at the same time), you might be redirected to low tickrate servers to reduce the overall bandwidth used.
However, when the total load reduces, you may be redirected to higher tickrate servers.

Probably why the game is highly responsive for me EVERY time I play late at night (which I usually do), and sometimes feels heavy as hell (slow turn radius, slow and inconsistent drifts, slow everything) during the day/rush hour.

Now, I didn't code this game and I don't know which parts of the base game are client side and which are server side, but something tells me there's some funky server side interpolation issue on your OWN car's movement prediction (while it should only be used for the opponents you're facing).

Remember, those are just assumptions, it could be just a bug aswell (which I kind of doubt), but to me it has to do with the way the game is coded, meaning your car's behavior is tied to the actual server performance, when it shouldn't.
Last edited by Redstar on Mon May 14, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redstar
Supersonic

Postby Tentacles on Mon May 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Disabling windows firewall both public and private seems to be helping.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby Reehan on Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 am

I’ve just set up a new 144hz monitor which has allowed me to tweak my GPUs video settings and those in-game. I’m noticing a reduction in input lag and less of an impact by HCB, but it’s still a noticeable detractor in certain matches. I’ve also discovered I was at least partially mistaken when claiming it didn’t follow me into Workshops, it was just almost unnoticeable since I was hitting 250 FPS. I’ll update this thread with any improvements I see as I find the optimal settings for my new monitor. Thanks for the advice regarding Windows Firewall, Tentacles!
Reehan
Supersonic

Postby danext97 on Tue May 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Guys, the problem is in Psionyx hands, we can do nothing because is a server problem. If the problem was in our machines, It didn't disappear at night when less people are playing. It's simple but sad...
danext97
Supersonic

Steam ID: danext97
Region: EU

Postby HeavyCar on Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 am

danext97 wrote:Guys, the problem is in Psionyx hands, we can do nothing because is a server problem. If the problem was in our machines, It didn't disappear at night when less people are playing. It's simple but sad...

yap, it is.
I did EVERYTHING, i mean, REALLY Everything. There is something fucked up in the engine / server connection whatever.
And if u are new in RL and u discover the HCB, delete the game pronto :)
HeavyCar
Acrobatic

Postby danext97 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

The game is dead for me. But the question is, why is Psionyx so useless to resolve servers problems? I mean, many people who not feel HCB have other problems related to the servers: high latency, lag, matchmaking problems.... Twitter is full of complains but the answer from the developer is always is the same: silence.
danext97
Supersonic

Steam ID: danext97
Region: EU

Postby skinnymidwest on Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Guys, I think I've had a break through. I rewatched all of Jared Cone's presentation at GDC in March (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEmiDM94IE) to look for any clue as to why this might be happening to us. The answer is so simple. I have no idea why Psyonix hasn't come out and made this suggestion. I feel deeply that this is the answer. This is why in the last big update they added the Low, Medium, High options in regards to networking. The reason your game is slow and sluggish is because your upload speeds are too high. Maybe Psyonix doesn't want to come out and tell everyong to throttle their own upstreams....but that's the answer. The game uses an input buffer which when filled will actually force your game to run fewer physics frames. (35:45 in the video). They also reference looking towards implementing "upstream throttle"...that was my clue....They want to eventually release a patch that throttles your upstream so they aren't flooding with people asking how to do it themselves. But you totally can...it's super easy.

A game like Rocket league does not require much in the way of upstream bandwidth. I went into my QoS on my router and capped my upstream speed to 1mbps and viola...my game automatically became fast and responsive....it was set to 11.5mpbs which is just total overkill for a game like rocket league. It's not unusual for some people to only get 1-3mbps up from their ISP so it would explain why some people have HCB and others don't. A lot of us that have the issue have faster connections. This is the answer you're looking for. This is why they implemented Low, medium, high presets for packet information in the last update...they're attempting to force your network to send less to their servers and in turn you're less likely to fill up their input buffer....Maybe they could make this buffer larger after a check of the client's upload speed? That's something they'll have to sort out. But this is it. I'm so confident this time.
skinnymidwest
Acrobatic

Steam ID: Freight Train
GamerTag: Skinnymidwest

Postby Tentacles on Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 am

^Great idea, I only throttled dl speed not ul speed. I need to try this asap.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby l0wcrow420 on Thu May 17, 2018 1:07 am

skinnymidwest wrote:Guys, I think I've had a break through. I rewatched all of Jared Cone's presentation at GDC in March (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEmiDM94IE) to look for any clue as to why this might be happening to us. The answer is so simple. I have no idea why Psyonix hasn't come out and made this suggestion. I feel deeply that this is the answer. This is why in the last big update they added the Low, Medium, High options in regards to networking. The reason your game is slow and sluggish is because your upload speeds are too high. Maybe Psyonix doesn't want to come out and tell everyong to throttle their own upstreams....but that's the answer. The game uses an input buffer which when filled will actually force your game to run fewer physics frames. (35:45 in the video). They also reference looking towards implementing "upstream throttle"...that was my clue....They want to eventually release a patch that throttles your upstream so they aren't flooding with people asking how to do it themselves. But you totally can...it's super easy.

A game like Rocket league does not require much in the way of upstream bandwidth. I went into my QoS on my router and capped my upstream speed to 1mbps and viola...my game automatically became fast and responsive....it was set to 11.5mpbs which is just total overkill for a game like rocket league. It's not unusual for some people to only get 1-3mbps up from their ISP so it would explain why some people have HCB and others don't. A lot of us that have the issue have faster connections. This is the answer you're looking for. This is why they implemented Low, medium, high presets for packet information in the last update...they're attempting to force your network to send less to their servers and in turn you're less likely to fill up their input buffer....Maybe they could make this buffer larger after a check of the client's upload speed? That's something they'll have to sort out. But this is it. I'm so confident this time.

Thanks for posting - Ive came to the same conclusion couple days ago and posted about it in discord so Ive read this very interested - gonna try out and probably call my isp again now

Im about to ask my provider to give my connection a try switched back to ADSL - sweet 16k connection. I somehow believe my connection got more and more unstable the faster my connection got AND in particular my upload which seems to bottleneck my line. My new router shows me my max upload atm isnt limited by its total speed its simply running on lines capacity. here is a screen:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /dsl_1.png

I also got a bufferbloat issue using a network tool for my board but only for upload. Bufferbloat seems to be very interesting if you think your internet is slowing. DSL reports what some of you might done gives different results. Dunno here is a very interesting link about bufferbloat - its sadly in german but might try to translate because it definitely worth reading: http://netzpalaver.de/2017/01/31/buffer ... bindungen/

My Upload increased from 2 up to 40 up over the past 2-3 years
l0wcrow420
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: l0wcrow

Postby skinnymidwest on Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am

skinnymidwest
Acrobatic

Postby colekart3 on Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 am

Guys, Please show skinnys post some support on reddit ^
colekart3
Acrobatic

Steam ID: colekart3
GamerTag: colenovi

Postby skinnymidwest on Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Anyone have any luck?
skinnymidwest
Acrobatic

Postby colekart3 on Thu May 17, 2018 4:19 pm

hOLy fucking shittttt. This worked!!! Skinny i luv yuou.

But FR i hope this stays. I throttled my upload speed to 1mbps and my car is light as a feather. im SO STOKED right now
colekart3
Acrobatic

Postby Tentacles on Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm

I am going to buy a router where I can throttle my upload speed, will test soon.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby colekart3 on Thu May 17, 2018 4:31 pm

I had to whip out my old netgear router to try this. Im convinced it was the throttling because i played before and after port forwarding. Car was still a brick. I saved the upload speed throttle for last and i was saddened to find it didnt work. I looked back at my router settings and found that "Turn Internet Access QoS On" box was unchecked. I checked that and I loaded RL again. Went into freeplay, and omfg it was fast. I have had a boner for an hour someone help me. :D
colekart3
Acrobatic

Postby HeavyCar on Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 am

lol :D
thats " normal" cole, the HCB dont exist!!!!!1111 ITS PLACEBO!11

ill give it a try, but i need a program to change my upload speed @ rl
HeavyCar
Acrobatic

Postby HeavyCarVictim4 on Fri May 18, 2018 7:21 am

skinnymidwest wrote:Guys, I think I've had a break through. I rewatched all of Jared Cone's presentation at GDC in March (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEmiDM94IE) to look for any clue as to why this might be happening to us. The answer is so simple. I have no idea why Psyonix hasn't come out and made this suggestion. I feel deeply that this is the answer. This is why in the last big update they added the Low, Medium, High options in regards to networking. The reason your game is slow and sluggish is because your upload speeds are too high. Maybe Psyonix doesn't want to come out and tell everyong to throttle their own upstreams....but that's the answer. The game uses an input buffer which when filled will actually force your game to run fewer physics frames. (35:45 in the video). They also reference looking towards implementing "upstream throttle"...that was my clue....They want to eventually release a patch that throttles your upstream so they aren't flooding with people asking how to do it themselves. But you totally can...it's super easy.

Thank you very much for this post!
that sounds interesting. im gonna try it a couple of times and report.

But from what i remember from Cone's lecture - a couple of stuff you said are inaccurate.
You wrote "The game uses an input buffer which when filled will actually force your game to run fewer physics frames." - that's not what Cone said. what he said was that when the input buffer gets full, the server will "consume" more inputs per frame from the input buffer - in order to reduce the amount. so this will not force your game to run any different. I think what might have confused you was when he talked about "upstream throttle" - there he says that the server can force the client to run slower(less physics frames) when the input buffer gets full. but he said that thats not how rocket league currently works, and that they are looking into implementing it in the future.
HeavyCarVictim4
Acrobatic

PreviousNext

Return to Help and Support