Not to be a downer....

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Not to be a downer....

Postby A_Cucumber on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 am

But is lag something we're supposed to just deal with now? I've had this game since release on both PS4 and PC. I have played this game over 1000 hours in total on multiple ISPs, locations and speeds since the release. Every single day, I have little stutters, pauses, stretched/sped-up timing while playing games (all while never going above 25 ping), which as you all know in a game like this, is just enough to totally ruin your play. I seem to recall Psyonix claiming to be aware of the issue multiple times since release and there are a plethora of posts and complaints from people who have the same issue.

My question is - Is this just a thing now? Are the people that still have the issue just supposed to deal with it? How is it we can play games with huge maps and 100+ players in it simultaneously pretty seamlessly yet we can't have 4 cars in a small arena? Now, I won't pretend i know anything about game development or netcoding, but then again it isn't my responsibility to do so. From what I understand this game has done phenomenally on financial terms... so why is it we STILL haven't had a solid fix?
A_Cucumber
Supersonic

Steam ID: cha0tik

Re: Not to be a downer....

Postby Hasere on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 am

I am sorry to hear this bro but recently after the update, the servers have been stuttering for a lot of people like you, and I hope psyonix will fix this issue soon.
Hasere
Supersonic

Steam ID: thewizardheadmaster
Region: EU

Postby E_M_E_T on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:21 am

because in those games with huge maps and 100 players in them, the same amount of lag isn't as noticeable. People act like the lag in rocket league is new or unique but don't realize that rocket league is affected tiny instances of latency and packet loss dramatically more than most games. Any game with continuous action has this problem, like FIFA.
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USEast (West on holidays)

Postby A_Cucumber on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:30 am

E_M_E_T wrote:because in those games with huge maps and 100 players in them, the same amount of lag isn't as noticeable. People act like the lag in rocket league is new or unique but don't realize that rocket league is affected tiny instances of latency and packet loss dramatically more than most games. Any game with continuous action has this problem, like FIFA.

It's far too late for any justification. No one is acting like it is a new issue. If you can't notice it, then it isn't really a problem but it IS a problem because it occurs in just about every game and is game breaking. This must be fixed.

As I said it isn't my responsibility to be knowledgeable of netcode, or yours, or any other consumer of Rocket league's - It is Psyonix's.

"rocket league is affected tiny instances of latency and packet loss dramatically more than most games."

Precisely why I made this post my dude. It needs to be fixed.
A_Cucumber
Supersonic

Postby E_M_E_T on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:22 am

I'm not trying to justify it. I just explained why a lot of people act like Rocket League is somehow worse than other games. I don't get any of this mysterious lag that people complain about despite living on college dorm internet.
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USEast (West on holidays)

Postby xkoeckiiej on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am

E_M_E_T wrote:I'm not trying to justify it. I just explained why a lot of people act like Rocket League is somehow worse than other games. I don't get any of this mysterious lag that people complain about despite living on college dorm internet.

You do know people will always complain about something right? :D
RIP RocketLeagueStats :(
xkoeckiiej
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej
Region: EU

Postby A_Cucumber on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 am

E_M_E_T wrote:I'm not trying to justify it. I just explained why a lot of people act like Rocket League is somehow worse than other games. I don't get any of this mysterious lag that people complain about despite living on college dorm internet.

Because, maybe, just maybe, for many people it IS worse than other games? I have a great Up/Down speed and other games run mostly flawlessly. I wouldn't be here if that weren't the case. I know there are forum wanderers who wait for posts like mine just to say "nah, you're wrong." Sorry buddy, but you're the wrong one here. If your game is working fine, great - Move along.

I, however, am having constant problems with a game I paid for and many other people are too. It was nice conversing. If you have no meaningful feedback, then you're done here.
A_Cucumber
Supersonic

Postby A_Cucumber on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:22 am

xkoeckiiej wrote:

You do know people will always complain about something right? :D

Funny how people want change from a company who happily took their money, right? The game needs fixing. End of. If you aren't having problems, that is fantastic - We are all happy for you.
A_Cucumber
Supersonic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:53 am

The biggest issue that sets Rocket League apart from other games is the direct interaction of objects, and the speeds at which those objects interact.

In an FPS, you could be experiencing the same amount of lag, and would likely chalk up missed shots to things like "bad aim".
You aren't going to notice your opponent warping slightly, when he's a ways down in your field of view.
When your "shot" is right in front of you, and depends on exactly how the hitboxes collide, things get a lot more noticeable.

I play a lot of racing games, in addition to Rocket League, and those are WAY worse about minor lag issues.
If one guy jumps half a car off, he can take out the entire field, if everyone is running tight enough.
That's why I play primarily rally games, when playing with people from diverse locations.
Those are generally controlled locally, with the only server interaction between players being time updates, so they lack the problems of door-to-door-to-door circuit racing.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby A_Cucumber on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:The biggest issue that sets Rocket League apart from other games is the direct interaction of objects, and the speeds at which those objects interact.

In an FPS, you could be experiencing the same amount of lag, and would likely chalk up missed shots to things like "bad aim".
You aren't going to notice your opponent warping slightly, when he's a ways down in your field of view.
When your "shot" is right in front of you, and depends on exactly how the hitboxes collide, things get a lot more noticeable.

I play a lot of racing games, in addition to Rocket League, and those are WAY worse about minor lag issues.
If one guy jumps half a car off, he can take out the entire field, if everyone is running tight enough.
That's why I play primarily rally games, when playing with people from diverse locations.
Those are generally controlled locally, with the only server interaction between players being time updates, so they lack the problems of door-to-door-to-door circuit racing.

I find it amazing how you can throw out a legitimate (AND POPULAR) complaint, people's immediate response is "well these games are worse" or something to that effect. In my experience, they are not worse. They just simply are not. If there is something underlying so subtle that I can't even notice it, then there is no problem. Rocket league has been out far too long to have these issues so consistently. Aside from that, they've made a mountain of money. Not only is it irrelevant trying to justify why lag might happen or what games you've had worse experiences with in the past, but I also simply don't care. Rocket league's netcode/servers need fixing. Simple as that - And i know I'm not alone. I'd really like to hear/receive something substantial about this issue for everyone's sake.
A_Cucumber
Supersonic

Postby Tentacles on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Wow you get the best internet available and you don't experience any issues??? And yet downplay the massive amount of people who are dealing with it. You deserve a gold star.
Tentacles
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm

A_Cucumber wrote:I find it amazing how you can throw out a legitimate (AND POPULAR) complaint, people's immediate response is "well these games are worse" or something to that effect. In my experience, they are not worse.

When somebody's car is hit by a server reset in this game, they miss the ball.
That miss may, or may not, cost them a single point in the overall match.
I was warping all over hell the other night, and my team still managed to win most of the matches we played.

In a racing game, that single server reset may take out half the field, and put them immediately out of contention for that race, even though the affected people are not experiencing any connection issues, on their own.
That IS considerably worse, any way you look at it because MY experience is directly dependent on YOUR connection.
NoOne-NBA

Postby krakilla on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 am

People like NoOne-NBA, or fanboys as they are known over the internet, will try to make you think that this problem has always existed and to digress even more they start talking about other games with worse problems. The truth is that the problems we have now are light years away more serious than 1 year ago. There were no menu frezes, no stutterning, no framedrops every 10 seconds then. From any programer POV things are more than clear, RL now runs as it runs because of lottery crates. All those flashy effects that you all love, all those explosions and new models are the main reason that RL is working so poor at this point. Don't get me wrong, with a capable development team and with another team that would only concentrate on fixing the game and get it to run smother this would of had a lot less impact. But when you are a money hungry b***h company and your only concern is to add more content so you can fool players into giving you more money by implementing casiono tactics, there is only so more time and resources for fixes and optimization. Milions have been pumped in RL after making it a gambling game and not only we see no improvments but with every update more problems seem to apear. An easy way to observe this is with a powerfull machine, if you set the graphics to lowest or if you set it to highest you will see no change in performance and that happends when the coding is messed up, my PC could run 3 instances of RL in the same time withhout problems but with all the graphic settings at low, it lags and spikes like a crazy chicken.. And it's impossible not to mess it up when adding so much content and when you are not willing to invest in optimizing. Also, Psyonix servers are s**t and we've seen this with the last update. If you took the time to check ping in matches after update, when they decided to show us our real pings, you would see that all players lag in the exactlly same time. What does that teaches us? It teaches that what we were all presuming was true, it's Psyonix, not our providers. When 6 people with different internet providers lag in the same time you can't blame their connection no more Psyonix and NoOne_NBA...

So I hate to be the one to say it but not only Rocket League will never run as before but it will run worse with every update. I've got well over 2000 hours and spent a lot of money in this game but now I am ready to let go. In my 15 years of gaming I've seen this happend plenty of times... I also pointed this when casiono was introduced in Rocket League. When a company has the potential to get so much money in such a short time from it's customers, it will do it 99% of the time, no matter about the negative effects that come with the package. Before I couldn't wait to play some RL, now I usually dont't finish my warmup match, with all the lag and freezes, I play 2 minutes and then I quit to play a game that actually works, probably games that NoOne-NBA says that work so much worse than RL but they actually don't...
krakilla
Acrobatic

Steam ID: krakilla

Postby zGreenMachine- on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:26 am

Still not experiencing any major connection, latency, or framerate issues.

Not that other people aren't experiencing those (as others have mentioned here), just want to point out not everyone is having problems. Maybe I got lucky. And from my personal experience I have played other games that had worse connection problems and were much less optimized. But just because other games can be worse doesn't change the fact that RL seems to have had a plethora of issues come up for certain players over the past several updates.
AlexCuse44 wrote:
Scyonite wrote:
zGreenMachine wrote:I'm really struggling with RL, the game doesn't excite me and that's why I don't wanna stream it or do gameplay videos. I need something new and different to the game but I know only cosmetics are added which makes me sad.
- JHZER
zGreenMachine-
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US Central

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:32 am

krakilla wrote:People like NoOne-NBA, or fanboys as they are known over the internet, will try to make you think that this problem has always existed

I'm not a fanboy of this game.
If anything, I've been one of the most vocal critics of most of Psyonix' decisions over the past few years, particularly with respect to the areas of the game they have chosen to focus on, at the expense of others.

These problems HAVE always existed in this game, as they have in every other game I've played for the last 20+ years, regardless of genre or platform.
This game is worse than some, better than others, in that respect.
The genre of this game is what makes those issues much more visible, and increases the impact they have on any given match.

The issues I've seen, with my personal connection, are directly attributable to distances traveled, and my routing to get there.
When the people on my friends list get to play US-East, everything is beautiful for them, and they're all happy little clams.
I, on the other hand, get to experience rubber-banding from Hell, which has me chasing ghosts the entire match.
Swap that up, and have them all "commuting" to US-West, and suddenly THEY are the ones with the warping problems.

As a remedy to at least part of that frustration, I've been suggesting Psyonix allow user-paid servers, for Unranked matches, since Day 1.
That would allow Psyonix to focus Ranked matches onto the servers best suited for such matches, while allowing people like Tentacles to place their own servers, to maximize their own connections, and provide themselves a stable IP to play at.

That would also allow smaller communities to grow within the larger one, creating "homes" for people, where everyone will be able to choose the location with the best pings possible, all the time.
they would be less likely to complain about their crappy teammates, because those teammates would be people they've played with regularly, who they know are just having a bad game.
On top of that, the admin for each server could choose what game modes to play, what mutators to use, and what arenas to have in rotation.
Those choices would give people having issues with certain arenas a place to congregate, as well as allowing communities to grow around specific combinations of mutator settings, like they have for the last 20+ years.
NoOne-NBA

Postby Tentacles on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:21 pm

I just want equal access to the servers :(
Tentacles
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby N7Mith on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:08 pm

krakilla wrote: All those flashy effects that you all love, all those explosions and new models are the main reason that RL is working so poor at this point.

That's it.
Check out my reviews for awesome Star Wars fan-films!
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Return to General Discussion