Harder bots!

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Harder bots!

Postby Hextacles on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:14 am

I started playing rl last year. I used to play online ranked but i lost internet for my home and now all I can play is offline content. That said, the all-star bots are nothing compared to even gold ranked players. I find myself going 1v4 just to feel a challenge. Bots which play as hard as real players sounds amazing. That way i can practice for when i go back online >:D I would love it if you guys threw in world tournament level bots, too. Bots who would even give the best of the best a run for their money. I would 1v4 those for fun haha
Hextacles
Supersonic

Region: United States

Re: Harder bots!

Postby Hextacles on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

And what if your teammate bots responded to your commands: "take the shot", "stay back", "play defense", "play goalie", etc.
Hextacles
Supersonic

Postby spoons on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:21 am

Harder bots?

Such a hard thing to program, because the only way to make them harder is to make them cheat because its really hard to program bots to just be better at the game.

The efforts they employ to make them better also end up just screwing people online in casuals. I have noticed my team bots, boost starve me and bump me a lot.
spoons
Acrobatic

Postby Rufmeister on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:09 am

spoons wrote:Harder bots?

Such a hard thing to program, because the only way to make them harder is to make them cheat because its really hard to program bots to just be better at the game.

The efforts they employ to make them better also end up just screwing people online in casuals. I have noticed my team bots, boost starve me and bump me a lot.

Very true, the overall play of bots is very bad, yet they have very accurate shots from distances occasionally (that are dead on) and disrupt gameplay at any level in my opinion, whether that be they are too good, or they are too bad.
Rufmeister
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby Hextacles on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Then make them cheat. Make a mode: cheaty face bots
Lol
I guess instead of programming them to be better, maybe have them play better as a team?
For instance: sometimes out of need for goalie practice ill sit in the goal and try to block everything. But this is boring because If i hit the ball to the other side (the cpu's side) they all just scramble toward it. All of them. Maybe one goes to the goal but youll have 3 bots sitting watching a ball bounce and scurry around to get it. It takes 30 seconds to even get back to the goal. Idk they just suck at team work and i think that would improve them enough to make it a true challenge again
Hextacles
Supersonic

Postby SIMY on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Hextacles wrote:And what if your teammate bots responded to your commands: "take the shot", "stay back", "play defense", "play goalie", etc.

Now that made me smile. :) I want to know what teammates say also.

Losing a connection sucks...Bots in this game is like any other...it helps you get better. Once you get better, you get to play online. Your stuck in a circle, having the bots cheat wont help you. Bots will never play like a human...big difference. Just try to get that connection back, hopefully see you online soon.
SIMY
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hidden
Region: US

Postby Galactic Geek on Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:36 am

How about using player-based bots - kind of like Forza's drivatar system or Killer Instinct's shadows? Your mannerisms, moves, good/bad habits all get recorded and shared with your friends (this can be incorporated using the replay system that's already in place, and the upcoming in-game friends list). This way, if a player leaves, he'll be replaced by a bot that plays like one of your friends. To preserve balance and skill, the bots can't be deleted, created, or modified by the player, or be used with anyone outside of their own friends during matchmaking (which would invite abuse), and will only accumulate data (not XP, unlocks, crates, etc.). Said data, if old enough, could be deleted and replaced with newer data over time too (using only the last 3 months of data, for example) - this would ensure that as the skill of the player increases, so does that of his or her bot, and can reduce strain/space on the servers. The bots' battle-cars could even look like those of their human-counterparts, with the already-incorporated bot-based banner and a special "BOT" title on it. There could also be a search function where you can look for the bots of specific players outside of your friends list (such as the pros) for training purposes. Imagine playing against yourself so you can see your own mistakes and bad habits, and learn from them! If you ask me, it's a win-win scenario that'll help raise both the skill-floor and ceiling of the entire RL community, and by using many assets already in plac!.
Galactic Geek
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Galactic Geek

Postby Hextacles on Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Galactic Geek wrote:How about using player-based bots - kind of like Forza's drivatar system or Killer Instinct's shadows? Your mannerisms, moves, good/bad habits all get recorded and shared with your friends (this can be incorporated using the replay system that's already in place, and the upcoming in-game friends list). This way, if a player leaves, he'll be replaced by a bot that plays like one of your friends. To preserve balance and skill, the bots can't be deleted, created, or modified by the player, or be used with anyone outside of their own friends during matchmaking (which would invite abuse), and will only accumulate data (not XP, unlocks, crates, etc.). Said data, if old enough, could be deleted and replaced with newer data over time too (using only the last 3 months of data, for example) - this would ensure that as the skill of the player increases, so does that of his or her bot, and can reduce strain/space on the servers. The bots' battle-cars could even look like those of their human-counterparts, with the already-incorporated bot-based banner and a special "BOT" title on it. There could also be a search function where you can look for the bots of specific players outside of your friends list (such as the pros) for training purposes. Imagine playing against yourself so you can see your own mistakes and bad habits, and learn from them! If you ask me, it's a win-win scenario that'll help raise both the skill-floor and ceiling of the entire RL community, and by using many assets already in plac!.

I love this idea, but now, imagine they used this tracking program on the top players and world champions and placed their mannerisms into a world champion level difficulty bot that plays like the best of the best pros? I could literally practice vs the best players in the world! I would be so happy... and you could even use this to create bots which play at each level of difficulty. Track top rated bronze, silver, gold, etc. And then you could practice, even just the next tier above you. See i feel like you cant get better quite so fast if youre always playing vs someone your own level. How do you learn unless you lose?
Hextacles
Supersonic

Postby Tentacles on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 pm

The bots on my team always score. I always ask to nerf them.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles

Postby Hextacles on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:14 am

Yeah, they can score. Doesnt mean theyre good. Just accurate. Sit in the goal and do nothing but play goalie in an unfair 1v4. Its laughable
Hextacles
Supersonic

Postby Hextacles on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 am

Im sure its possible to program specific characteristics which automatically kick in based on their position in the field, similar to rotating. If theyre by the goal theyre playing goalie and so forth for shooter, assist, def. etc.... idk im not a programmer though
Hextacles
Supersonic

Postby SIMY on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:01 am

Hextacles wrote:Im sure its possible to program specific characteristics which automatically kick in based on their position in the field, similar to rotating. If theyre by the goal theyre playing goalie and so forth for shooter, assist, def. etc.... idk im not a programmer though

Are you a programmer? How would you know what it takes?
SIMY
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hidden

Postby BiKian_010 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:57 am

Bots that actually have a change of beating any player higher than bronze? Have been thinking about that for a while. It would be pretty great to see your team still have a change when someone ragequits or disconnects. Unfortunately, harder bots is something really difficult to program. A possibility: Make their teamwork better (passing plays, 1 goalie instead of all of them, etc). Also, they could be programmed to go for boost more efficiently and go for aerials (as well in defence as in offence). I’m not a programmer myself, but it would be great if Psyonix did some of these things to make bots play better.
BiKian_010
Supersonic

Steam ID: BiKian010

Postby Tentacles on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Obviously, Psyonix just needs to get the Elon Musk bot. And have a slider to control how accurate it is. Best training ever.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles

Postby Hextacles on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:14 pm

SIMY wrote:
Hextacles wrote:Im sure its possible to program specific characteristics which automatically kick in based on their position in the field, similar to rotating. If theyre by the goal theyre playing goalie and so forth for shooter, assist, def. etc.... idk im not a programmer though

Are you a programmer? How would you know what it takes?

Look, if they can program a program, in the early 90's ,which can track sound waves and map them back perfectly at speeds over 96,000 times a second, i think they can program a damn computer bot in 2017 that stays in its own position on a field and doesnt group together or ball chase. And besides i already said im not a programmer but there are programs and games with coding and sophistication that far exceeds anything in this game. Not to say this game isnt great or the developers shouldnt be praised, (this is my favorite game ive ever played) im simply saying it feels (justifiably) that they spent more time on the pvp modes than the actual offline bots. Im not saying they shouldnt have, im just asking them to give computer controlled players a little more thought in the development of the next game. Is that so much to ask?
Hextacles
Supersonic

Postby Hextacles on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Also, just a thought, maybe a billiards arena? Like 8 diff goals around an arena and each player gets one shot knocking balls into balls into pockets. And the only way to score a goal is if the white ball hits one of the other balls into a goal.
Hextacles
Supersonic

Return to General Discussion