New mmr system

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

New mmr system

Postby Jahye_k on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm

I think most players would like to see a better matchmaking system in place. Ive had several run ins myself after a big win streak and ending up with a player with lower skill being placed on the same team and you ended up walking away with a loss. In the end it becomes repetitive and frustrating to deal with because theyve been boosted or carried to that rank and you get placed with them, if theres a way to prevent this or at least make it less often as a community i think we'd like to have that in place.
Jahye_k
Supersonic

PSN ID: Jahye_k
Region: United Kingdom

Re: New mmr system

Postby Scyonite on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 am

And how would you prevent this?
:octane: NOT ACTUALLY PSYONIX :octane:
Scyonite
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby xkoeckiiej on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:48 am

If you're on a winstreak the game thinks you can handle a rank above your current rank as you're on the winstreak.
appearantly you can't handle it and you lose (very little pts) so you know you still have to practice more.
Don't blame mm on your lack of skill.
xkoeckiiej
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej

Postby nine_iron on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 am

I don’t think this is an MMR issue.

Players are boosted yes but only because they play with people who make good team mates.

If you can learn to play with a wider range of player types and styles then your rank will increase.

I see many highly skilled players who cannot partner with me as they ball chase and try to do all the work then just play the hate card when I can’t be a good team mate to them.

I’ve been able to use these players skills more effectively by identifying them and giving or forcing them to be in space.

Yes I’m boosted to my ranks but only because I’ve learnt to get the best out of my team mates.

Try doing that first before you blame the MMR.
nine_iron
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: nine_iron

Postby OsoMako on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:29 am

It's not like you lose more points for losing that game against someone well above your rank. In fact, you lose less. The person with a higher rank has far more to lose by playing you, so you should be happy to be given the opportunity to take those extra points. If you don't, well that stinks, but it's not much of a loss.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby N7Mith on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:47 am

OsoMako wrote:It's not like you lose more points for losing that game against someone well above your rank. In fact, you lose less. The person with a higher rank has far more to lose by playing you, so you should be happy to be given the opportunity to take those extra points. If you don't, well that stinks, but it's not much of a loss.

Except when a loss ends your winstreak,t hat's the only real issue with mmr. But maybe taking it out might result in worse issues we can't predict. I don't know if it was always in place or added to fix something else.
Shabadabadoom! Merc love!
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Bacon on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:55 pm

I thought the winstreak boost was taken out earlier this season. I haven't seen any players that I'd consider beyond my abilities to defeat in a couple of months, despite going on at least a 7-game win streak. I lose my share of games, but it hasn't been because I'm playing people tiers above my level.
Bacon
Acrobatic

GamerTag: VTG Bacon
Region: US

Postby Tentacles on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 am

xkoeckiiej wrote:If you're on a winstreak the game thinks you can handle a rank above your current rank as you're on the winstreak.
appearantly you can't handle it and you lose (very little pts) so you know you still have to practice more.

With the number of players, there is literally 0 reason to not play against people in the same rank. It's not a matter of dealing with it, it's a matter of smoothly climbing and slowly but surely progressing in skill and rank(which should be the preferred method).
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby N7Mith on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:47 am

Bacon wrote:I thought the winstreak boost was taken out earlier this season. I haven't seen any players that I'd consider beyond my abilities to defeat in a couple of months, despite going on at least a 7-game win streak. I lose my share of games, but it hasn't been because I'm playing people tiers above my level.

No, it was a soft reset, so most people already were where they belonged.
Shabadabadoom! Merc love!
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Tilts on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 pm

nine_iron wrote:I don’t think this is an MMR issue.

Players are boosted yes but only because they play with people who make good team mates.

If you can learn to play with a wider range of player types and styles then your rank will increase.

I see many highly skilled players who cannot partner with me as they ball chase and try to do all the work then just play the hate card when I can’t be a good team mate to them.

I’ve been able to use these players skills more effectively by identifying them and giving or forcing them to be in space.

Yes I’m boosted to my ranks but only because I’ve learnt to get the best out of my team mates.

Try doing that first before you blame the MMR.

Is this a "style"?
-Sucks at the game
-Ballchasing
-Swears and blames all goals on teammates
Tilts
Supersonic

Postby HAKKO on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Sincerely, boosting requires accounts. accounts cost money.

companies aren't trying to lose money, "boosting" made the bungie studio millions off of halo2 and opened a floodgate that i honestly don't see much of a solution to. i don't have much of a problem with it either.
HAKKO
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: HAKKO
Region: PC, east/west us

Postby HAKKO on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:38 pm

btw a signifcant chunk, if not majority of "boosters" are just players playing with less talented/experienced friends, who don't want these situations to lower their rank. they paid for the account(s) and aren't even doing anything wrong.

there was a problem with boosting at one point that psyonix remedy'd better than any community that i have personally been a part of. if you have the solution, give them your resume and get paid son
HAKKO
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby HAKKO on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Tentacles wrote:
xkoeckiiej wrote:If you're on a winstreak the game thinks you can handle a rank above your current rank as you're on the winstreak.

With the number of players, there is literally 0 reason to not play against people in the same rank. It's not a matter of dealing with it, it's a matter of smoothly climbing and slowly but surely progressing in skill and rank(which should be the preferred method).

really bro? i think i played with/against the same player in solo standard probably ~12 out of ~30 games yesterday, and what you're suggesting would make that 30 out of 30.
HAKKO
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Tentacles on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:53 am

HAKKO wrote:
really bro? i think i played with/against the same player in solo standard probably ~12 out of ~30 games yesterday, and what you're suggesting would make that 30 out of 30.

Obviously if there are number problems, guessing you are oceanic, then that system like others would adapt to have other players. I'm suggesting what would work for EU & NA servers. It's not complicated, you are better than everyone else in your rank you leave them behind and move onto the next one. Rinse and repeat, a decent amount of games have this type of system and there are literally no complaints about matchmaking.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby HAKKO on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Tentacles wrote:
HAKKO wrote:

Obviously if there are number problems, guessing you are oceanic, then that system like others would adapt to have other players. I'm suggesting what would work for EU & NA servers. It's not complicated, you are better than everyone else in your rank you leave them behind and move onto the next one. Rinse and repeat, a decent amount of games have this type of system and there are literally no complaints about matchmaking.

US east/west

next guess?
HAKKO
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Tentacles on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Well you are obviously lying now. lol who lies on a forum?
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby HAKKO on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm

dude, you're weird. wanna play 1v1 us east/west & loser leaves the forum? lmk bro.
HAKKO
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Tentacles on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:24 am

HAKKO wrote:dude, you're weird. wanna play 1v1 us east/west & loser leaves the forum? lmk bro.

Once servers are fixed you got it. The only reason you have the ranks you do right now is because Sighonix made it easier for anyone to get one rank better than they had last season and half the people you play against can't even get a reasonable connection to the server you play on.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby HAKKO on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:51 pm

and thats why i'm ranked higher than you?
HAKKO
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby HAKKO on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:12 pm

it appears you are very confused, and irrationally blaming connections for helping me and hurting you. lmk when feel like manning up and ditchin' excuses
HAKKO
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Next

Return to General Discussion