Think your teammates bring you down? It's not them, it's YOU

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Think your teammates bring you down? It's not them, it's YOU

Postby OsoMako on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:03 am

If you think your teammates are bringing you down, I'm sorry. It's not them, it's you. You're the problem. Now, I'm not saying that your teammates don't make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, and plenty of them. But time after time I've found one thing to be true while playing this game. If you EVER get to the point wherein you're blaming your teammates game after game, the problem is with you. You can only fix what you do, not what your teammate does. How's that saying I just made up go? Oh yeah. Focus on your problems, and you'll grow better. Focus on other people's problems, and you'll grow bitter.

Here's what you're probably doing wrong.

None of that is all too constructive though, so here's a checklist of things to look for in yourself. I don't know what rank you're at, but they're things I end up doing that mess me up the most at champion level. If you don't think you do any of this, check a replay or two of your very next games and watch them not as yourself but as an outsider. Narrate it like you're watching the RLCS. In that mindset, let's give the things to watch for in "outsider" caster language.

• "OsoMako takes over possession and starts going upfield. He hits it forward, opponent catches it, and begins their assault."
    This is a cardinal sin in champion+ level play, and one that EVERYONE breaks, but champions break it the least whereas everyone else breaks it all the time. Some call it "ping pong", but you really only have ONE excuse for forfeiting possession by hitting the ball forward to the opponent: you were saving your team from an immediate shot on your net. Most players don't even really consider the idea of sustained possessions, but it's real and it's something you need to focus on now rather than later in order to get better.

Every touch you make, particularly in competitive, needs to be focused. If that touch you're making doesn't keep giving you the best chance at either A) maintaining possession of the ball, B) passing to a teammate, or C) taking a shot on net, then it was a bad touch and anything that happens afterward is directly YOUR FAULT. I don't care if your teammate's controller explodes into flames and he just had an aneurysm over in net trying to defend the shot that came after; because you caused that aneurysm and the preceding flames by passing it directly to the opponent.

• "OsoMako comes in like a meteor! Ooh and he completely misses [hits it sideways/backwards/who-knows-where]."
    If you ever miss the ball completely, you just cost the team a goal. Again, it doesn't matter if your teammate dies of heart failure and pukes all over his screen trying to defend the shot that comes after. It doesn't matter if the opponent suddenly became Markydooda and did something nasty to make you miss the ball. It doesn't matter that it was a hard bounce to read. What matters is that you didn't see the opponent about to do something nasty or read the ball properly, and you left your team in a bad position as a result. If you ever find yourself missing a shot, you need to practice that shot or not go for it. Many times the right play is to not engage in the play at all. Wait in an advantageous spot to see what happens, then clean up afterward.

Missing a shot puts you out of the play completely for a long time, and is akin to giving the opponent a power play. If you can't make the shot most of the time, you don't go for it. That's how you keep from losing games. And again, when I say "make the shot", I mean following the criteria in the first example. If it isn't a pass, if it doesn't maintain possession, or if it isn't a shot, then it was a miss and you messed up.

• "Opposing team almost had that! OsoMako takes over possession on defense on his side of the field, he hits it into the side wall, waiting for his teammates to hit it ... oh and they get scored on. Opposing team has won!"
    When you're on your own side of the field, smacking the ball directly into the side wall without immediately following up on the touch is the same as handing the opposing team a W. If your teammates respect rotations at all, they will not be directly behind you waiting to take over after your little side wall touch. That ball belongs to you when you do that. So what are they doing? They're sitting back waiting to get passed to, or rather, they're actually waiting to get scored on because you just hung them out to dry by hanging a nice dead curveball right over the center of your side of the field. May the Rocket League Gods have mercy on their soul as they try to salvage something good out of the plate of excrement you just handed them.

• "OsoMako carries it into the opposing team's corner. He sees his teammate waiting in middle and passes -- oh but it's a weak touch! Opposing team slams it downfield past both OsoMako and his teammate. It's a 1v3 / open net!"
    If you're in the opposing team's corner and you pass over the middle, you better make sure that your pass is laser-focused on that teammate of yours. That doesn't mean hit a laser. Jesus Timmy what have I told you about hitting laser passes. Lasers only get pointed at your enemy, not your teammates. I mean laser-focused. They should lead the ball such that only your teammate can get to it first -- whether that's on the side of the field that you passed it from or the opposite. Again, trust your teammate to make the shot happen, but give him a chance. If you bait him into taking your pass, but make a poor pass, then you just hung your whole team out to dry once again.

• "OsoMako dribbles it upfield, he sees his teammate across the field and passes. Oh but the enemy catches it first. / Oh but it's slightly behind them. / Oh but it's too fast. / Oh but his teammate wasn't expecting it."
    Nope. Sorry, every single one of those outcomes was your fault. Your passes are exactly like your shots and need to follow the same rules previously mentioned. Except you need to be even more precise with a pass than with a shot, and you need to be sure that your teammate is expecting the pass. Car language means everything here and is something you'll learn over time, but it means you need to be reading your teammate perfectly while at the same time passing the ball perfectly. And you can't avoid passing if you want to win. No really, I don't care if on your last three passes to him your teammate managed to aerial all the way to the top of old Neo Tokyo while you're playing on Utopia Coliseum, you still pass to him and trust in your teammates. Because anybody who's worth their salt on the other side of the field will at least know how to block what's coming in one direction. You beat people by hitting them from multiple angles at once, or, you know, by working with your team as a unit to win.

But seriously! My teammates are BAD!

First of all, that's wishful thinking. It's almost certainly you, yet you're conveniently forgetting your own mistakes while emphasizing theirs in your head (see: Confirmation Bias). But let's assume that your teammates are bad anyway. A bad teammate is always a liability, and may likely cost the game. This is a competitive game, and when one link in the chain is weak, that's probably where you'll break. There's a handful of things that you can do to alleviate the situation for both you and your teammate:

1. Figure out what they're bad at.
    Look for where that chain will break. Do things to shore them up on those weaknesses. Do they suck at wall touches? Hedge your bets and stay a medium distance between being available for a pass and catching his flubbed wall hit. Can you not trust them in a corner to make a good clear? Hold your position in net for as long as humanly possible before pushing in to help clear it. Are they bad at shot accuracy? Try to be in position to hit their rebound or to do a redirect whenever they're about to shoot, or at least to keep it in the opponent's side and maintain possession. A bad shot on net is still pressure that builds up against the opponent, so it's not all bad.

This is what you'd want to do with any teammate by the way, catch onto their weaknesses and help with them.

2. Slow things down a bit.
    Sometimes your teammate isn't as bad as you think, but you've been going breakneck with the enemy, and your teammate hasn't had time to efficiently gather boost. If you don't have a good supply of boost, it's way harder to make proper challenges and be involved correctly in the play. So give him a bit more time to work with. This will also let you survey the field and avoid the issue of just slamming the ball upfield that I talked about. Also, the more often you break the pace of the game, the more often you'll score. Think about it this way. If your opponent has been used to going breakneck the whole game, and you suddenly slow it down right before you commit to that 50/50 he's barreling into, you just faked him out and he's out of the play. Then you can focus down on the remaining defenders and take them out too.

Even if it's not a fake, suddenly slowing it down can mess up their rotations. Your teammates will naturally not want to "go offsides" for the most part (though in a 3v3, going offsides is a terrific way to catch the opponent off guard and get goals), so they'll wait and gather a bit of boost while you figure out what to do. But if you've been given the time to make a play, use it. Don't always succumb to the tempo of the game.

3. Always respect your opponent and keep playing to your best ability.
    This sounds obvious, but when everybody on both sides of the pitch is playing like garbage, it's easy to start playing like garbage alongside them. Don't give in. You're all around the same rank, so it's very likely that some of you are just having a bad start. Given enough time, anyone and everyone in the game can make tremendous plays. So don't give in to thinking that you're better than everyone. Think to yourself, "what can/would I do that'd be the most devastating to the opposing team here/there?" and either prepare for it or do it. I can't count the number of times I've written someone off in a game, then gotten flicked over to put that game into overtime and lose. The same goes for your teammate -- he's your teammate because he's similar in rank to you, regardless of whether you think he should be, so don't write him off. Keep trusting him and keep making plays with him that you think he might be able to make with you.

4. When you're the weak link, be the strongest weak link you can.
    Even if you know that your teammates are carrying the load, and you've got 60 points to their 6000 combined, just keep setting them up so they can do their thing and cover their back. A win's a win, so do whatever it takes to keep that going, even if you're the fall guy who backflips the second an open net shows for you. Whatever, just keep pushing and playing your best. (Playing your best != playing your fastest)

Keep thinking strategically about what you're doing and take all the time you're given to make things happen. That's all I've got for now. Best of luck improving. And remember, it's your fault! :mrgreen:
Steam and Psyonix Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Re: Think your teammates bring you down? It's not them, it's

Postby littlebigleg on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 am

i came to terms a few seasons back that it was me :oops:
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby Rufmeister on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:01 am

But I'm pretty sure I'm a god and every time I lose it's never my fault :(

Hahah but in all seriousness, great helpful post for everyone!
Rufmeister
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby xkoeckiiej on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 am

Was playing with violentpanda
Lost confidence for some reason and completely fucked up the matches.
Fairly certain it was my fault LOL
main: Image
ps4: Image
xkoeckiiej
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej
Region: EU

Postby N7Mith on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 am

Nicely worked out!
Check out my reviews for awesome Star Wars fan-films!
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby OsoMako on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:25 pm

littlebigleg wrote:i came to terms a few seasons back that it was me :oops:

I think most of the regulars around here are familiar with the idea, but I did want to flesh it out in a comprehensive post for here. So I can reference back to it with pretty colors and stuff.

Because I'm vain and I like that.

xkoeckiiej wrote:Was playing with violentpanda

No way. This post applies to everyone but you. violentpanda was the problem. :pimp:
OsoMako

Postby Tentacles on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Shhh don't tell ball chasers it's their fault, they are perfect just the way they are.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby PocketFullOfSunshine on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:10 pm

So in summary, you're basically telling us either 1. you're bad get better or 2. learn why your team sucks and carry them so you can rank up (cause you know, RL ranking system).
PocketFullOfSunshine
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby wsupchris1222444 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:47 pm

TL;DR

If you have to constantly clean up after your team mates and they still don't adapt or get better it is proabably them. That is only if you try to adapt to them.
The removal of Neo Tokyo has improved the game for the majority of players
wsupchris1222444
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: wsupchris1222444
Steam ID: wsupchris1222444
Region: US

Postby OsoMako on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:11 pm

PocketFullOfSunshine wrote:So in summary, you're basically telling us either 1. you're bad get better or 2. learn why your team sucks and carry them so you can rank up (cause you know, RL ranking system).

Meh, if you're boiling it down that simply, I'd rather say 1. You're just as bad as your teammates are, that's why you're similar ranks, 2. figure out why you're bad by introspective and smart play, 3. understand why your teammates are bad and support them so that you both win games, instead of being frustrated at them and blaming them even though you're actually just as bad. We all suck here guys. :roll:

But yeah, that's pretty much it. Any kind of ranking system would do that though, so I'm not sure why you'd even mention it here.
OsoMako

Postby xkoeckiiej on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:33 pm

OsoMako wrote:

I think most of the regulars around here are familiar with the idea, but I did want to flesh it out in a comprehensive post for here. So I can reference back to it with pretty colors and stuff.

No way. This post applies to everyone but you. violentpanda was the problem. :pimp:

On a different note
This should be stickied.
Stuff like ps4 user ids and steam ids should be unstickied
It aint the alpha anymore, theres plenty people playing now hah
xkoeckiiej
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

Postby OsoMako on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:17 am

xkoeckiiej wrote:
OsoMako wrote:

On a different note
This should be stickied.
Stuff like ps4 user ids and steam ids should be unstickied
It aint the alpha anymore, theres plenty people playing now hah

I appreciate that you think that! But I'll let the other mods decide. I'd call it a conflict of interest for me to do it myself. :P
OsoMako

Postby Tentacles on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:29 pm

You can't sticky this, so many rocket league egos will be shattered.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby IJx on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:04 am

Here's the magical formula; Do not blame anyone. Blaming your team mate is useless, it is outside your control, blaming yourself is bad parenting for your ego, mistakes happen and they are a requisite of humanity.

I do not mind stating the problem for myself is that I expect my team mates to put emphasis on teamwork and trust them each game, even on the lower end of the bracket. In addition, I expect no less from opponents than the 'what you should do' play, resulting in obvious hillarity when they do not play that way. I am more comfortable against super champions than I am versus Diamond, based on experience of this season.
#whereismyCosmic
IJx

PSN ID: IJayfunk
Steam ID: IJ

Postby OsoMako on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 am

IJx wrote:Here's the magical formula; Do not blame anyone. Blaming your team mate is useless, it is outside your control, blaming yourself is bad parenting for your ego, mistakes happen and they are a requisite of humanity.

That's right. The only constant in the game is you. Make that the best you can and you'll come out on top more often than not. Sometimes you'll get great teammates, sometimes you'll get bad ones, but it doesn't matter. Because in the end you're just supporting them in the best way that you can. Blaming them does nothing but distract you from getting up and dancing on that celebration screen.

IJx wrote:... I expect no less from opponents than the 'what you should do' play, resulting in obvious hillarity when they do not play that way. I am more comfortable against super champions than I am versus Diamond, based on experience of this season.

I know that feeling very well. I'm often making rotations and extending myself out based on where I'd make a play, but when teammates aren't comfortable with doing it, it forces me to double back to a different position and get out of position momentarily. (If that were the opponent making that play, then it's just a good job of slowing down the play to mess me up.) Then I end up accidentally jumping their shots as I'm not sure whether they're actually going for them, and you do that enough times, and you've got a shaky game on your hands! It's always way easier for me to flow with a team at my exact same level. I tend to play with people who are a little worse than me, but it's just so smooth as butter when I'm with equally skilled guys.
OsoMako

Postby Doomstrike on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 am

Posts by OSO are always fun to read :)
Doomstrike

PSN ID: Doomstrike
Steam ID: meDoomstrike
Region: Canada West

Postby PocketFullOfSunshine on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 pm

OsoMako wrote:3. understand why your teammates are bad and support them so that you both win games...

So basically what I said: carry your teammates. That's what I posted what I did ;)
PocketFullOfSunshine
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Mantus on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:24 am

LOL, when youre getting down ranked in 8+ game losing streaks someone that doesn't deserve it is up ranking, carried in order to down rank a guy that doesn't deserve it. I haven't bought keys in 5 months and I wont, because the ranking system is broken. You can write a thesis and submit it to your professor in college. Doesn't mean its right. This is whats right. I wont be logging in again. Psyonix is creating a toxic environment where bricks are constantly loaded onto our backs. Theyre aiming at 50% win rates.. the above average have to be carried down in order for the below average to be carried up. ,,|,, psyonix. Im done with this game.. and yeah its my teammates.
Mantus
Acrobatic

Steam ID: dreadonly1
Region: South West

Postby littlebigleg on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:56 am

Mantus wrote:LOL, when youre getting down ranked in 8+ game losing streaks someone that doesn't deserve it is up ranking, carried in order to down rank a guy that doesn't deserve it. I haven't bought keys in 5 months and I wont, because the ranking system is broken. You can write a thesis and submit it to your professor in college. Doesn't mean its right. This is whats right. I wont be logging in again. Psyonix is creating a toxic environment where bricks are constantly loaded onto our backs. Theyre aiming at 50% win rates.. the above average have to be carried down in order for the below average to be carried up. ,,|,, psyonix. Im done with this game.. and yeah its my teammates.

8+ game losing streaks = its you
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby xkoeckiiej on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:26 am

Lol
Tried helping my friend get into grandchamp today while streaming for him on his account.
It took so incredibly much time since people in the ranks like champ2 and especially lower dont have the gamesense grandchamps have.
theyre so super unpredictable and hit the most unexpected pinches / weird hits.
Then some games later i won 5-0 which happened to be against 2 grandchamps.
Its so hard to play in those ranks , this is probably how pros look at playing with players like gc.
Not sure what i wanna say with this but ugh, frustration was definitely there.
xkoeckiiej
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

Next

Return to General Discussion