The Stages of Rocket league

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

The Stages of Rocket league

Postby Hydroxyde on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:46 pm

One day i was blogging and a partner told me if i could summarize my experience with Rocket league so he can jump more smoothly into the game. The following TLDR material is the result of such interaction

The OMFG! this game is amazing!

You just bought rocket league, you don't want to play bots, you want to fly, score amazing aerials, boost, jump and barrel roll your way
through the ladder. You are easily impressionable by anything at this point since the idea of playing soccer with cars is amazing to you.

Maybe you did the basic tutorials and didn't even bothered with the freeplay options, cause... What's the point of that!?,
but you're ready for tea bagging some noobs online. Everything is perfect with the world. You use the first mins of gameplay just doing random
sides dodges and you're surprised by how the camera shakes after each hit and other cool stuff.

The Stunt driver

Okay... So the game is cool, but you know what's cooler? Being able to roll forward... and Only forward at this point as you feel is the more reliable
way of hiting te ball. The side dodges barely move the ball. Plus you just discovered ball cam. Thanks god! my eyes hurted like hell! you;re still doing a great
job, but side-wall rolling balls are a big nono... You just wait for them to come down before attempting anything

The ball chaser

Okay... so how does this work.. You just hit the ball expecting for the best? there is no communication whatsoever with your team, so is
every man for himself. Its chaos as it finest as 6 cars try to hit the same ball and often wierd rebounds causes head scratching goals

The @#@# walls

Seriously dude! @##@! walls... those things are evil, your camera goes berserk, it's like learning to play all over again. IM NOT GETING IN A WALL
EVER ANYMORE!

The Goalie

You feel you're not a good enough striker, you are tired of chasing the ball, so you take position and try to help your team. You get those nice saves and epic saves
and you pretty much resent everyone else triying to do YOUR JOB

The double jumper

After a while you are being pummeled with air shots, that's when it hits you... It's so beatifuly simple. Double jump

The I can fly??

So you pretty much have a good hang of the game... This thing is hard by the way... you're ready for the ultimate test. You take the pro aerial tutorial. You don't even bother
with the rookie one... Rookie? Bitch please... and you quickly realize your mistake. Aerials are hard. You spun out of control, overshot... and
can't seem to control anything

The Nope... I can't fly

Realizing how difficult aerials are, you think maybe no one will ever fly, and those plays you see at youtube are like shinny pokemons. extremely rare
so you will just stick with your double jump boost for goals

The centering obsession

Okay, you're geting better... You also have lost a tons of games cause nobody centers the ball, so that's your job now. you bump into teammates, steal dribbles
etc, The end justify the means wouldn it? This works, but eventually your teammates start resenting you or worst... They can't score from your
work of art like centers...

The Over-train

You realize you have to carry those noobs. You live in training mode. out of 2 hours of play you spent 1 in training mode triying to decode how
The ffffff.. Walls work. You start getting nice combos, and take notes of some really cool auto-center moves.

The I can fly... sorta

Finally all that training starts paying off. You can fly... sorta.. You still go soaring thru the skies like an arrow, with only one direction
but!... Close enough. No one is doing it so your arrow like aerial goals quickly fill your HD in the form of "cool" replays. Also at this point
you just rush against anything and anyone in your way. You know deep inside you're the only one who can score this EASY goal. Also at this point you realize how cool defense corner aerial are and try do it every chance your get
even if you miss for like a mile.

The team manager

Thi is sad... You are straight out losing games left and right. Why? Whats happening? why do i keep geting paired with noobs... That's when it hits you..
You have to rotate, you have to defend like missiles from a fighter, you have to attack and know where to stand. the only problem. Your teammates
don't appear to have the same level of intelligence as you do, so you can't act freely. You can't center like you used to do, cause you're the only one in D
you can't rush in for a goal, 'cause you could miss and hit the ball backwards and score an own goal.. Ohhh so much fear... You are not helping
btw

The Reckless striker

Okay... Fuck this, i just wanna score and get the sweet mvp title. You hit EVERY ball, even at the most awkward angles, you blew easy teamgoals
cause you only have one thing in mind. SCORE You just discovered that air dodging gives power to the ball so you try to do it
at every chance you get... you're doing more, but often overdoing it and still losing. Maybe you're tanking your rank now
and think you will never be a good player. This appears to be your skill ceiling

The Kron00bish

You try to get back to the basics. In the process you realize you can barrel roll better after a hit, and you have a greater sense of the ball position so you start scoring some
sweet aerial goals. You hate how no one is centering the ball up so you can spread your wing and either get a WOW! from the audience for an epic miss
and a nice shot! spam

The... walls are your friend

Like naruto this is like your filler arc. You are a great player now, but often you go for a high aerial, but someone else clears your chance using the wall.
Heck! he even scores using the wall, he centers using the wall??!!. What's this trickerty! i thought walls were evil.. You train and train
Watch endless replays until you realize how wall hits works, trayectory, speed... You still miss every once in a while, but you're well
rounded player now

The Gibster

You have decided that you miss easy shots even at point blank of the enemy goal. You're tired of your teammates calling you a baddy or the Nice shots! spamm, yo decide you're gonna
hang in the back of the field and be the defensive wall your team needs. You truly get good at defense, but often you get bombarded by sarcastics what a save!(s) due an easy miss

The Goldish

Yep, you finally have reached gold, but there is something weird happening... You feel like you are not improving. In good days you can take on anyone, but often your play sessions end up with you going back to square one. You seem to dance between SIII and GI. Also at this point you start to notice how the meta shifts as players give you space to dribble, to clear etc
so be careful with dissapointing them

The stallmate

You have reached your skill ceiling. Players reach the ball first, wallhit first, shoot with precision and can score from virtually anywhere in the field. Don't party just yet, you think in your starfox's monkey voice... as you stop incredible goal shots. Yeah. They are good, but you and your team are better. Goals are a rare occurrence now as everybody knows just where to stand and when to defend. Even when you lose you feel a sense of acomplishment and genuinly congratulate the other team if they manage to beat you

The Fallout

You don't know what's happening but you're actually losing more games than you can win. You're not doing anything different, but suddenly you feel your play-style changing and it feels awkward you're missing easy shots, overshooting aerials, missing saves. You are starting to question your ability. This is a weird phase, you shouldn't worry too much. Most likely is just a daily thing tomorrow will be another day. Don't let it bother you

The Master Dribbler

You finally realized the last ability you need. Your teammates are thorn, they don't know wheter to love you when you score with crazy dribbles or hate you 'cause you're coming across like a selfish @#@!#... either way you seem to get the job done, other playerss are forced to adopt your playstyle as they think is an important ability. Hell you went thru the same phase yourself

This is my experience so far with the game, what about you guys? Any phase you had that's not listed?
Hydroxyde
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hdxyde
Region: Chile

Re: The Stages of Rocket league

Postby Ninjitsu Magoo on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Ha! :P Good stuff, it was an entertaining read. If I had to add something, it would be the "Angry at your useless tram mates" phase, halfway through silver.
Ninjitsu Magoo
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Ninjitsu Magoo
Region: Both

Postby FearSway on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:02 am

I can realate to a lot of this, especially the "stalemate" At this point I'm having to take a break over Christmas!
Last edited by FearSway on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FearSway
Acrobatic

PSN ID: FearSway
Region: EU

Postby StubbornPuppet on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:48 am

It's a "stalemate", but that is about how it goes. Fun post. +1
I'M OUT. The decision to remove Neo Tokyo (and all the implications that holds for the future of this game) and start putting new cars inside crates... NOPE. See you somewhere else.
StubbornPuppet
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: StubbornPuppet
Steam ID: StubbornPuppet
Region: PC - US

Postby GrieverXVII on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:17 pm

haha nice list, this was a nice read because it is quite amazing how much you can evolve and change your playstyle/mindset from day 1. I've only had the pleasure of 4 months with this game, but i'm fighting for that plat rank atm, I hit a brick wall but recently realized im at the master dribbler phase of your list, I've been practicing the moment it clicked and i knew i needed to master this, so it's only a matter of time! and maybe some crazy wall-air game as i see from some people.
GrieverXVII
Supersonic

PSN ID: GrieverXVII
Steam ID: GrieverXVII
Region: US

Postby Ghostflux on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:12 am

For me it went a little bit the same, but a little different as I play unranked mostly.
(rookie)
Stage 1: What am I doing?
Stage 2: I can now hit the ball
(semi-pro)
Stage 3: I understand I also need to defend
Stage 4: I understand that I should not be defending the entire game
Stage 5: Mixing defense and offense gives opponents an easy time
(pro)
Stage 6: Want to do basic rotation, unfortunately my teammates don't agree
Stage 7: Hey I can do aerials, as long as the ball is not too high off the ground, but I can't aim them.
Stage 8: I need to figure out how to actually aim.
Stage 9: I can now somewhat aim, but I still hit the ball like a wet noodle
Stage 10: Hey I can somewhat defend now
(veteran)
Stage 11: Hitting the ball hard now, but it doesn't always make sense
Stage 12: I need to actually be able to hit aerials at any height
Stage 13: Okay, I am a dribble addict
Stage 14: Hey I'm still worse at defending than I think I am
Stage 15: I think I finally understand rotational play completely
(Expert)
Stage 16: Hmmm, I need to be able to aim those aerials
Stage 17: I need to be able to do wall hits, but I am still too inconsistent
Stage 18: I need more finesse, not just always cruising at speed, but also having ball control when I am going slow.
Stage 19: I should stop passing to the enemy when I don't have to
Stage 20: Where is my finesse? I need control over where the ball goes, at what speed at what angle.
Stage 21: I have the accuracy to shoot, now I can also use that accuracy to pass to teammates
Stage 22: I'm getting more finesse, but I still find myself being too clumsy at times.
Stage 23: I want to control wall hits by the time I am master.
Stage 24: Wait, dribbling into aerials is a thing now?
Ghostflux
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: ghostflux
Region: Europe

Postby Stlaymore on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:16 am

Hydroxyde wrote:One day, I was blogging and a partner told me if i could summarize my experience with Rocket League, so he can jump more smoothly into the game. The following TL;DR material is the result of such interaction.

The OMFG! This game is amazing!

You just bought Rocket League, you don't want to play bots, you want to fly, score amazing aerials, boost, jump and barrel roll your way
through the ladder. You are easily impressed by anything at this point since the idea of playing soccer with cars is amazing to you.

Maybe you did the basic tutorials and didn't even bothered with the free play options, cause... What's the point of that!?,
but you're ready for tea bagging some noobs online. Everything is perfect with the world. You use the first minutes of gameplay just doing random
side dodges, and you're surprised by how the camera shakes after each hit and other cool stuff.

The Stunt Driver

Okay... So the game is cool, but you know what's cooler? Being able to roll forward... and only forward at this point as you feel is the more reliable
way of hitting the ball. The side dodges barely move the ball. Plus, you just discovered ball cam. Thank god! My eyes hurt like hell! You're still doing a great
job, but side-wall rolling balls are a big no-no... you just wait for them to come down before attempting anything.

The Ball Chaser

Okay... so how does this work.. you just hit the ball expecting for the best? There is no communication whatsoever with your team, so it's
every man for himself. It's chaos at it's finest as 6 cars try to hit the same ball and often weird rebounds cause head scratching goals.

The @#@# walls

Seriously dude! $#%^ walls... those things are evil, your camera goes berserk, it's like learning to play all over again. I'M NOT GETTING ON A WALL ANYMORE!

The Goalie

You feel you're not a good enough striker, you are tired of chasing the ball, so you take position and try to help your team. You get those nice saves and epic saves, and you pretty much resent everyone else trying to do YOUR JOB!

The Double Jumper

After a while you are being pummeled with air shots, that's when it hits you... It's so beautifully simple. Double jump!

The I can fly??

So you pretty much have gotten the hang of the game... this thing is hard by the way... you're ready for the ultimate test. You take the pro aerial tutorial. You don't even bother with the rookie one... rookie? Bitch please... and you quickly realize your mistake. Aerials are hard. You spun out of control, overshot... and
can't seem to control anything!

The Nope... I Can't Fly

Realizing how difficult aerials are, you think maybe no one will ever fly, and those plays you see at YouTube are like shiny Pokemon. Extremely rare,
so you will just stick with your double jump boost for goals.

The Centering Obsession

Okay, you're getting better... you also have lost tons of games cause nobody centers the ball, so that's your job now. You bump into teammates, steal dribbles
etc... the end justify the means wouldn't it? This works, but eventually your teammates start resenting you or worse... they can't score from your
work of art like centers...

The Over-Train

You realize you have to carry these noobs. You live in training mode. Out of 2 hours of playing, you spent 1 of them in training mode trying to decode how
those $#%^ walls work. You start getting nice combos, and take notes of some really cool auto-center moves.

The I Can Fly... Sorta

Finally, all that training starts paying off. You can fly... sorta.. you still go soaring through the skies like an arrow, with only one direction
but!... close enough. No one is doing it so you arrow like aerial goals quickly fill your HD in the form of "cool" replays. Also, at this point,
you just rush against anything and anyone in your way. You know deep inside you're the only one who can score this EASY goal. Also at this point, you realize how cool defense corner aerials are and try it every chance your get
even if you miss for like a mile.

The Team Manager

This is sad... You are straight out losing games left and right. Why? What's happening? Why do I keep getting paired with noobs... that's when it hits you.
You have to rotate, you have to defend like missiles from a fighter, you have to attack and know where to stand. The only problem is that your teammates
don't appear to have the same level of intelligence as you do, so you can't act freely. You can't center like you used to do, cause you're the only one in defense.
You can't rush in for a goal, 'cause you could miss and hit the ball backwards and score an own goal.. ohh... so much fear... you're not helping, by the way.

The Reckless Striker

Okay... fuck this, I just wanna score and get the sweet MVP title. You hit EVERY ball, even at the most awkward angles, you blew easy team goals,
'cause you only have one thing in mind. SCORE! You just discovered that air dodging gives power to the ball so you try to do it every chance you get... you're doing more, but often overdoing it and still losing. Maybe you're tanking your rank now
and think you will never be a good player. This appears to be your skill ceiling.

The Kron00bish

You try to get back to the basics. In the process, you realize you can barrel roll better after a hit, and you have a greater sense of the ball position so you start scoring some
sweet aerial goals. You hate how no one is centering the ball up, so you can spread your wing and either get a "WOW!" from the audience for an epic miss
and "Nice shot!" spam.

The... Walls Are Your Friend

Like Naruto, this is like your filler arc. You're a great player now, but often you go for a high aerial, but someone else clears your chance using the wall.
Heck! He even scores using the wall, he centers using the wall?! What's this trickery?! I thought walls were evil.. you train and train,
watch endless replays until you realize how wall hits works, trajectory, speed... you still miss every once in a while, but you're well
rounded player now!

The Gibster

You observe that you miss easy shots, even at point blank of the enemy goal. You're tired of your teammates calling you a "baddy" or the "Nice shot!" spam, so you decide you're gonna
hang in the back of the field and be the defensive wall your team needs. You truly get good at defense, but often you get bombarded by sarcastic "What a save!"(s) due to an easy miss.

The Goldish

Yup, you finally have reached gold, but there is something weird happening... you feel like you are not improving. In good days you can take on anyone, but often, your play sessions end up with you going back to square one. You seem to dance between Silver III and Gold I. Also at this point, you start to notice how the meta shifts as players give you space to dribble, to clear etc.,
so be careful with disappointing them.

The Stalemate

You have reached your skill ceiling. Players reach the ball first, wall-hit first, shoot with precision and can score from virtually anywhere in the field. Don't party just yet, you think in your Star Fox monkey voice... as you stop incredible goal shots. Yeah. They are good, but you and your team are better. Goals are a rare occurrence now, as everybody knows just where to stand and when to defend. Even when you lose you feel a sense of accomplishment and genuinely congratulate the other team if they manage to beat you.

The Fallout

You don't know what's happening, but you're actually losing more games than you can win. You're not doing anything different, but suddenly you feel your play-style changing and it feels awkward. You're missing easy shots, overshooting aerials, missing saves. You are starting to question your ability. This is a weird phase, you shouldn't worry too much. Most likely is just a daily thing tomorrow will be another day. Don't let it bother you!

The Master Dribbler

You finally realized the last ability you need. Your teammates are thorn, they don't know whether to love you when you score with crazy dribbles or hate you 'cause you're coming across like a selfish $#%^... either way, you seem to get the job done, other players are forced to adopt your playstyle as they think is an important ability. Hell, you went through the same phase yourself!

This is my experience so far with the game, what about you guys? Any phase you had that's not listed?

There. Grammar Check! Fixed all the grammar errors. :cheesygrin:
[all ranks below were achieved solo]
Stlaymore
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Stlaymore
Region: USNE

Postby Redstorm705 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:54 am

Stage 1: Cool! I can play soccer... WITH A CAR!
Stage 2: Hey a ball! Ram it!!
Stage 3: OK let's try and be more professional...
Stage 4: Screw Multiplayer! (Plays three seasons)
Stage 5: I owned those bots! I'm pretty good! (Not)
Stage 6: OK let's do some research (YouTube Time!)
Stage 7: Relies on basic strats (Super predictable)
Stage 8: Team work makes the Dream work!
Stage 9: Let's try Aerials!
Stage 10: Aerials OP!

And that's where I am now :P :cheesygrin: :cheesygrin:
Last edited by Redstorm705 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redstorm705
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Redstorm705
Steam ID: Redstorm175
Region: US - East

Postby MoneyPro on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:49 pm

I have been playing this game for around 6 months, and just recently discovered power sliding/air rolling, u forgot both ;)
Great rocket league story though, I really enjoyed the funny moments where you would talk to yourself :P.
MoneyPro
Acrobatic

PSN ID: xXMoneyXProXx
Region: US East

Postby Dirkened on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Lol these are golden. Gotta love that progression of being able to fly
Rocket League Associate Community Specialist
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Postby Frenetic on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Definitely at the Gibster stage. Nail on the head.
Frenetic
Supersonic

Region: United States

Postby Incredipede on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:47 am

Where's "The Incredipede"? I miss that one!
Incredipede
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Incredipede
Region: EU, Steam

Postby ZEWLER on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:03 pm

currently at master dribbler xD

lately I'll set up really nice passes, along with spamming "take the shot!" & watching them fail under pressure, and they reply with "sorry!" "sorry!",which I reply, "nice shot!" "thanks!" lmfao xD
Asphalt wrote:i kno ur Kronovi, u dont need to tell me, ur youtube is Stevebills too. how about u 1v1 me and 3v3 my team vs ur team b4 hand... and if my team wins... u buy ALL of us controllers since we are the best keyboard+mouse players in the world
ZEWLER
Acrobatic

Steam ID: zeroeasewithluck

Postby Palerion148 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm at the fallout stage. Been there for a while. Hoping to reach the master dribbler stage. My problem is I can't figure out dribbling. I don't know how to do it effectively, I don't know when to apply it. I've had players tell me to slow down and stop jacking the ball across the field, but when I do that, I try controlling the ball, dribbling, and winning faceoffs with other players, and I just can't. The ball gets stolen. I'm out of position. At that point the slightest defensive failure by my teammate leads to a goal. So I need to get good at this, but I'm just not sure what to do, and I can't find any adequate guides or advice for dribbling at a high level. Sure I can dribble here and there; occasionally the ball sticks to the top of my car and I can drive it into the goal, more often than not with a straight-line drive with a jump at the end, and I can change the direction of the ball enough to juke an inexperienced player, but I can't control it consistently. At the moment, I perform better when I slam the ball, follow myself up, take shots, hit aerials, make passes, etc. Dribbling just screws me over. And I know it's because I'm not doing it right, but my attempts feel as though I'm running in circles, trying to feel it out with little idea of what I'm supposed to be doing, and little guidance.

I'm sitting at 950 ranked doubles, dropped down from 1050-ish. I do feel that this is one of the greatest obstacles preventing me from joining my friends in the higher ranks (Griever xD), but when it comes to dribbling, I feel like a bumbling idiot every time I try.
Palerion148
Supersonic

Steam ID: Palerion148
Region: US

Return to General Discussion