Rocket League inspiration

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Rocket League inspiration

Postby Hastor on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:55 pm

Sorry if I'm late to the game on this, I just recently discovered this game via PS+. I couldn't find much info on where the idea came from etc. I know there was the predecessor "Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars", but this game seems to be a (much improved and expanded) clone of a mod I played almost a decade ago on Unreal Tournament 2004, that was part of a mod contest. That was called Carball, info here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/carball
I was just wondering if it served as any inspiration, just remarkably similar.

Not that I'm complaining. That was my favorite Unreal Tournament mod, and the fact that people left the servers for it after only a month or so always made me sad. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw ads for this, and it is even on the Unreal Engine. It is like that was the protype for this, and I couldn't be happier that I'm getting to play my favorite sport again. While I would have paid solid money for this, I'm glad the PS+ release pretty much guarantees that people will be playing online for a while. I'll gladly buy any DLC, as long as money only gets us new maps, modes, etc. Please do not make it so that real money gives any advantage in the game. That would once again ruin it all. Hopefully car soccer is here to stay for a while!
Last edited by Hastor on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hastor
Supersonic

PSN ID: Hastor
Steam ID: Hastor2
Region: United States

Re: Rocket Leage inspiration

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:07 am

Thanks for posting!

We actually designed and created the Onslaught Mode in UT2004, and all of the vehicles in UT2004, UT3, Gears of War, and UE4.

No, Rocket League (or SARPBC) is not inspired by that mod. That mod is great, but the idea came of it's own. We were working on an earlier version of the game, know then as Crash Course. We were trying out some ideas during a company wide idea day called Kismet Monday (KisMonday) and Psyonix-Adam dropped a ball in the game, added a few goals, and made a new genre. We had so much fun with it that we couldn't stop playing it long enough to do work, so it just became the game. And here we are almost 8 years later.

Theres still some throwbacks to that game in RL, too. Lots of things to find.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Psyonix-Jerad
Region: US/EU

Postby Hastor on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks for the reply... in any case, thanks for making me feel like I've got one of my most missed games ever back, and MUCH improved! A couple times a year I'll lament about how addictive and fun Carball was and how I'm still sad that people jumped ship after a few weeks of playing it. I haven't played an online game regularly for more than a few days since, gee, probably UT 2004 and the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942 (meaning online competitive multiplayer, not just online features). I've tried and even bought several, but I usually get bored with them easily in a few days. Aside from the occasional all-nighter of Mario Kart 8, online play just hasn't kept me hooked like it did when I was in my 20s. Something about time being more precious now. I also really like knowing the name of the server, everyone's ping time, etc. I'd just bought Splatoon a couple days before I started playing this. I might give it another whirl here and there, but it will be hard to choose it when Rocket League is also an option. Thanks again for the most fun I've had online in over a decade!
Hastor
Supersonic

Re: Rocket League inspiration

Postby Hastor on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:55 pm

I would add that with new DLC, I'd love to see levels more like the ones Carball had, where there are places with different elevation, some where the goal is hovering in the air, requiring a high shot to make it in, etc... Even environmental traps etc would prove interesting. I'd leave a mode where everything is straight forward, like Smash Bros offers for players that don't like items etc and just want to fight. I love items and stuff myself, though do agree that I like them when they are better balanced than Smash Bros, where they don't make the loser the winner in 10 seconds. I guess I'd say something akin to weapons in UT, where everyone has a chance to get everything. Doesn't have to be weapons but that type of balance is appreciated.
Hastor
Supersonic

Postby Pickerd on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Psyonix-Jerad wrote:No, Rocket League (or SARPBC) is not inspired by that mod

Really? Plays exactly like it. Cars with boosts that you can manipulate its spin in air to hit a ball into a goal. Dude, come on.
Pickerd
Supersonic

Postby Fysho on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:40 pm

Yeah, come on, dude.
Fysho

PSN ID: Fyshokid

Postby almo on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:03 am

He meant SARPBC/RL weren't inspired by Onslaught.
http://www.maniac-games.com/
Try my game Cognizer! It's free, fun, and challenging.
almo
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: almo2001
Steam ID: almo2001

Postby Psyonix-Adam on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Psyonix-Jerad wrote:Thanks for posting!

We actually designed and created the Onslaught Mode in UT2004, and all of the vehicles in UT2004, UT3, Gears of War, and UE4.

No, Rocket League (or SARPBC) is not inspired by that mod. That mod is great, but the idea came of it's own. We were working on an earlier version of the game, know then as Crash Course. We were trying out some ideas during a company wide idea day called Kismet Monday (KisMonday) and Psyonix-Adam dropped a ball in the game, added a few goals, and made a new genre. We had so much fun with it that we couldn't stop playing it long enough to do work, so it just became the game. And here we are almost 8 years later.

Theres still some throwbacks to that game in RL, too. Lots of things to find.

And to go a little more off of this, I'd suggest that the game was more inspired by Deathball, which was also a mod for UT2004.
Psyonix-Adam
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Psyonix-Adam

Postby Zagadka on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:53 pm

No influence from older games like Re-Volt? They "feel" remarkably similar (with different gameplay)
Zagadka
Supersonic

Steam ID: Razishlyat

Postby DoomGuards on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:07 pm

I was wondering if you guys could put me and my teams logo on a flag. We play this game sooo much and we really love it!
DoomGuards
Supersonic

PSN ID: DoomGuards
Region: PS4

Return to General Discussion