Farmers so brazen their account name is "farmer"

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Farmers so brazen their account name is "farmer"

Postby spaceboy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:56 am

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac23 ... jaf8i9.jpg

I don't think I will waste my time reporting them anymore. When the farmers actually name their accounts 'farmer' and Psyonix' "anti bot detection software" can't even pick that up.........lol ....I know where my 'reports' are going.....File 13.

Anyway, if this is going to be tolerated, the best way to resolve this issue is for Psyonix to do what players have done in TF2, and that is creat dedicated idle / farming / chat servers where people and bots go to screw around and farm. They're already paying for the servers for these bots as it is, and they're clearly not enforcing anything, so I doubt their cost would go up.

This way, the farmers get what they want without ruining actual games.
spaceboy
Acrobatic

Re: Farmers so brazen their account name is "farmer"

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:20 am

If they're allowed to farm, they do ruin the actual game because it gives them an edge in the in-game economy, since they'll have more. So, don't give up! Report away! It does make a difference! Every little bit helps!
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Postby Chains on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 am

How does getting an edge in the in-game economy ruin the actual game? The actual game is soccer played with cars, unless you bought the game specifically to play the Rocket League economy.
Chains
Acrobatic

PSN ID: Chainz082
Steam ID: Chains

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 am

Trading is a part of the actual game, yes, even if you may not believe it to be. While I myself would rather play, I do have friends who spend more time trading than they do playing. In any case, that's besides the point because the point of this thread has to do with farming and what is or isn't being done about it.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Volodesi on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 am

I don't care about trading until they add in their own in-game trading system. Like a Auction house of sorts.

Would like my trading to have as little human interaction as possible.
Volodesi

Postby OsoMako on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:39 pm

Volodesi wrote:I don't care about trading until they add in their own in-game trading system. Like a Auction house of sorts.

This right here is the easiest way to avoid scammers. Want to trade in person? That should be sketchy. Just use the GE / Auction House :P

Items would probably plummet in value for a little while, but I think it'd be well worth it.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 pm

For me it would be less about avoiding scams, and more about convenience.

I've got a few items I'm looking to buy at the moment, and have the keys to do so, but most of the people advertising them on Rocket League Garage are in Germany, and go offline before I get home from work.
If I could get on whenever I want, and make the trade through an Auction House, it would simplify things at my end immensely.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Bacon on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:45 pm

OsoMako wrote:
Volodesi wrote:I don't care about trading until they add in their own in-game trading system. Like a Auction house of sorts.

This right here is the easiest way to avoid scammers. Want to trade in person? That should be sketchy. Just use the GE / Auction House :P

Items would probably plummet in value for a little while, but I think it'd be well worth it.

It would also prevent people from spending the first 30 seconds of a match typing "trade?" in chat, while a ball rolls slowly past them into the net.
Bacon
Acrobatic

GamerTag: Bacon Hoarder

Postby spaceboy on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 am

Chains wrote:How does getting an edge in the in-game economy ruin the actual game? The actual game is soccer played with cars, unless you bought the game specifically to play the Rocket League economy.

Because the farmer bots don't play soccer with cars. They sit there like bricks, or they bounce up and down over and over, or they drive around randomly. So, actually, the farmers DID buy the game to play the economy.

If the farmer bots actually played the game as well as the official AI bots, I would probably never notice or care....well, not care as much anyway. I do care that they are raking in drops and crates and padding their inventory at a much faster rate than I am. When they buy stuff off of trade sites, they are effectively getting a big discount, maybe 25%, maybe 50%, maybe more, since they're just raking in free stuff and trading up into keys on the trade sites.

And when new crates release, they are going for about 3 keys on day one, then 2 keys, and then 1 key for a few days, depending. I've only nabbed 2 Velocities this time and sold for 4 keys. Imagine what these guys are making in the first 3 days? $25, $50, $100? Depends on how many bots they are running.

But the bottom line is, I bought the game to play it. Trading is a fringe benefit....which I do love, ftr, but when I join a game, I join to play, and the farmers ruin that.
spaceboy
Acrobatic

Postby Lifted on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:04 pm

spaceboy wrote: When the farmers actually name their accounts 'farmer' and Psyonix' "anti bot detection software" can't even pick that up.........lol ....I know where my 'reports' are going.....File 13.

Are you implying Psyonix staff should do an automatic search of every Steam/PSN/Xbox Live account with the word "farmer" in it and automatically ban those accounts?
Next thing we know, poor FarmerJoe82 tries to log on to play some Rocket League after sweating away on the fields growing crops all day and sees his account is banned.

Or should they manually watch every replay of every game with someone named "%Farmer%" in it to search for botters?

Galactic Geek wrote:Trading is a part of the actual game, yes, even if you may not believe it to be. While I myself would rather play, I do have friends who spend more time trading than they do playing. In any case, that's besides the point because the point of this thread has to do with farming and what is or isn't being done about it.

As someone who's played since before the trading system was implemented, I could honestly care less about cosmetic items. I'm playing the same game whether I'm using shiny colorful wheels or OEMs. It is unfortunate, however, that at lower levels of gameplay/MMR botters are more frequent and I could see how that would be annoying.
However, it's more predominant in casual and I could care less about whether I win or lose in a casual game mode.

Lifted
Acrobatic

Steam ID: xdrevinci
Region: USW

Postby Alias on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 pm

What they should do is make it so that crates don't drop unless you score over 100 points. That would stop most of the AFK farming.
Alias
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Alias

Postby Galactic Geek on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 am

Lifted wrote:However, it's more predominant in casual and I could care less about whether I win or lose in a casual game mode.

The fact that you don't care is irrelevant. What matters is that we care about it, and you should too - it ruins the fun of the game for others, and sends a wrong message; and while it may only be more prevalent at lower levels (I'm a legend and still see them...), it's still a very serious issue, if not more so, because it may cause newer players who are trying to pickup the game to drop it entirely, since they aren't having fun - and frequently, in their eyes. Do you NOT want the RL community to grow? Personally, I'd like to see how far it can go, and the same applies to Psyonix and how far they're willing to address this issue.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby mig0 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:02 am

spaceboy wrote:http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac23/spaceboy909/farmers_zpsydjaf8i9.jpg

I don't think I will waste my time reporting them anymore. When the farmers actually name their accounts 'farmer' and Psyonix' "anti bot detection software" can't even pick that up.........lol ....I know where my 'reports' are going.....File 13.

Anyway, if this is going to be tolerated, the best way to resolve this issue is for Psyonix to do what players have done in TF2, and that is creat dedicated idle / farming / chat servers where people and bots go to screw around and farm. They're already paying for the servers for these bots as it is, and they're clearly not enforcing anything, so I doubt their cost would go up.

This way, the farmers get what they want without ruining actual games.

They won't need to go to that extreme. All they need to do is enable these item drops in private matches. Which I favor anyway because I want to play with my nephews without dealing with online play but end up playing casual instead because of item drops. The farmers will farm in their own matches and get out of my way.
mig0
Supersonic

PSN ID: mig0sd
Steam ID: mig0
Region: United States

Postby spaceboy on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Lifted wrote:
spaceboy wrote: When the farmers actually name their accounts 'farmer' and Psyonix' "anti bot detection software" can't even pick that up.........lol ....I know where my 'reports' are going.....File 13.

Are you implying Psyonix staff should do an automatic search of every Steam/PSN/Xbox Live account with the word "farmer" in it and automatically ban those accounts?
Next thing we know, poor FarmerJoe82 tries to log on to play some Rocket League after sweating away on the fields growing crops all day and sees his account is banned.

Or should they manually watch every replay of every game with someone named "%Farmer%" in it to search for botters?

Automatic ban for the word? No, but words like 'farmer' and 'bot' should trigger the software and put them on a list for review. A basic stat check will easily categorize the account into 'green, yellow and red' categories. And once someone is cleared an put on the green list, like FarmerJoe, they'll never be looked at again unless someone reports them.

Much of the botting problem can be dealt with automatically, and the rest can be filtered for manual review with well designed algorithms, which they clearly do not have, otherwise they would detect when a car is doing circles in the opposing goal for 5 minutes.

Ironically, if the jerks who design these programs would actually design them better, on the level of the Psy bots, so that they are actually playing the game, then this aspect of the botting wouldn't be an issue. It would still be an economic issue for traders, but at least people could always be guaranteed a half way decent game.

And ironically again, if Psyonix would increase the power of their bot detection, it would have the effect of forcing bot devs to design better bots, ultimately ones that actually play the game instead of bouncing up and down or driving around in the goal net.

But for whatever reason, Psyonix has chosen not to do the work, and some of us are paying for it.

I think, as a hobby, I'll start making youtube videos of all my bot experiences. Maybe that will help put some pressure on them.
spaceboy
Acrobatic

Postby N7Mith on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:34 am

spaceboy wrote:
Lifted wrote:

Automatic ban for the word? No, but words like 'farmer' and 'bot' should trigger the software and put them on a list for review. A basic stat check will easily categorize the account into 'green, yellow and red' categories. And once someone is cleared an put on the green list, like FarmerJoe, they'll never be looked at again unless someone reports them.

Much of the botting problem can be dealt with automatically, and the rest can be filtered for manual review with well designed algorithms, which they clearly do not have, otherwise they would detect when a car is doing circles in the opposing goal for 5 minutes.

Ironically, if the jerks who design these programs would actually design them better, on the level of the Psy bots, so that they are actually playing the game, then this aspect of the botting wouldn't be an issue. It would still be an economic issue for traders, but at least people could always be guaranteed a half way decent game.

And ironically again, if Psyonix would increase the power of their bot detection, it would have the effect of forcing bot devs to design better bots, ultimately ones that actually play the game instead of bouncing up and down or driving around in the goal net.

But for whatever reason, Psyonix has chosen not to do the work, and some of us are paying for it.

I think, as a hobby, I'll start making youtube videos of all my bot experiences. Maybe that will help put some pressure on them.

Good idea. But you can't post these videos here because shaming is not allowed. Youtube doesn't care though.
Happy Holidays!
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Galactic Geek on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:13 am

When using the in-game report feature on XB1, there is no option to type anything like the words "farm" or "bot" - I can only choose from a few categories. Does this mean that everyone reported on XB1 are "in the green" so to speak?

...they really need to add a comment section so I don't have to rely on the XBL reporting features too.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby N7Mith on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 am

No, you report them for unsportsmanlike conduct. Anyone not playing or playing against you falls under that category.
Happy Holidays!
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Return to General Discussion