Official Battle-Cars Guide

Post any technical issues you experience with the game here.

Official Battle-Cars Guide

Postby Psyonix-Adam on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:21 pm

This will be the guide to help you progress not only through the single player, but the multi-player as well. I will provide you with some general tips, and suggestions on how to improve your game play.

Kick offs
At the beginning of the game, or whenever a goal is scored, players will be spawned in at certain start locations. When playing with 2 or more players on a team, there's a good chance players will be spawned back-to-back in front of the goal. If you happen to be so lucky, there's a little trick you can do to get to the ball quicker than if you were to boost from the side spawns.

-If you spawn behind a player in front of the goal, you can boost forward and knock them directly towards the ball. Probably best to stay put in the box, for the other team may be doing the same strategy, and you'll want to be there to deflect the ball.

-If you happen to spawn in front of your teammate, you'll want to coast forward slowly, to give yourself forward momentum. From there you'll just want to wait for your teammate to bump you. Once the player bumps you, hold down forward to complete one full front-flip, once your car is straight, hold down the boost to give yourself even more speed to get you to the ball quicker. Just try to hit the ball as dead on as you can.

Quick Hand Brake
There's a cool little trick you can do with hand brake. Basically you can use hand brake while going fast and still maintain most if not all your speed. All you have to do is tap the Square button in (instead of holding it down) as well as push the left stick in the direction you wish to turn. It can be pretty tricky at first, definitely something I recommend learning.

Hitting the Ball
There's a few different ways you'll want to hit the ball according to how the ball is moving...

-If the ball is rolling towards you, the best way to make contact with it, is to jump a split second before you hit it. This will prevent you from over shooting the goal, it should either result in a quick line-drive or a roller, depending on how soon or how late you jump. Another good way you can go about hitting it, is to forward dodge into it. This is something you can practice in the Striker and Breakaway mini-games.

-If the ball is bouncing, there's a few ways you can approach it...
1. If it's bouncing in front of the goal, it's pretty self-explanatory, just jump up and knock it in :) there's no REAL way to explain it.
2. If the ball is bouncing high enough to the point where my single jump wont be able to reach it, you can then use your double-jump. It's also pretty self-explanatory, you just have to get your timing down.
3. Lastly, there's rocket-flying. Which I highly recommend the rocket-flying tutorial and mini-game (Airborne) to learn how to achieve this skill.

Defense
-The best place to be when playing defense, is in the keeper position.
-To play good defense, your job will consist of mostly clearing the ball.
-It's best to have full boost at all times, if you plan on blocking those higher shots.
-Learn the basics of rocket-flying to be able to save the high out of reach shots.
-Back-up into the goal as far as you can without actually going up the ramp. (To prepare for a shot on goal)
-If the ball is high in the air, and you see your opponents camped under it, punt them out of the way, or rocket-fly up and clear the ball.
-Let the ball come to you, unless no one is around the ball, in which case, boost at it and clear it out.
-Stay on guard of where your opponents are, for the may try and demolish you or punt you away, when you're not looking.

Offense
-The best way to play offense, is to play greedy. Regardless of who shot the ball, follow it up, you can never be to sure!
-Always have full boost. You'll never know when you need to zip in there, if a shot presents itself. Or if you need to rocket-fly up and hit the ball.
-Attack the ball as often as possible, try and get the ball into the center, to provide your teammates with an easy shot.
-Use the walls, there's all sorts of shots you can take with using the walls alone, and even the ceiling.

Ball-Cam
In case you hadn't already figured it out, there IS a camera that allows you to focus on the ball the entire time. We also have a toggleble version as well, to toggle just simply press and hold the triangle button. If you would like to have that on 100% of the time, you can go into you player settings and activate it.

That's about all the strategies I can think of, I'll probably add more in time to come!

Mini-Games

Scavenger: 5 Stars = 50
-Don't let up a whole lot when boosting.
-Use hand brake when necessary.
-Use the white arrow above your car, if you fail to locate a boost cannister on your own.

Striker: 5 Stars = 22
-Jump before hitting the ball, so you don't over-shoot it.
-On the final balls that are shot in the air, wait til' it's close to the ground, and get on top of it, so it bounces in.
-If you miss, restart. :) You have to score every shot.
-If it's rolling towards you, forward dodge into it, to make for a nice hard shot.
-The quicker you get the ball in the goal the better.

Powerslide: 5 Stars = 15
-Like I previously mentioned, you'll want to get down the quick hand brake skill.
-Gather boost along the way. If a Powerslide ring is surrounding a boost cannister, drive the extra distance and powerslide into the cannister.
-Conserve your boost, use forward dodge as often as you can.

Sweeper: 5 Stars = 16
-Back up into the goal to give yourself time block the shots.
-Notice the flames on the wicks of the cannons, to see where the next shot will be coming from.
-If one goes in, you'll want to restart if attempting to achieve a 5 star rating. You need to save them all in order to do so.

Combustible: 5 Stars = 20
-Basically just zoom around the level, always holding the boost button down, and mow down your enemies, but gather boost at the same time.
-It's best to approach your enemies from behind.
-Use the quick hand brake technique.

Multi-Ball: 5 Stars = 65
-There's one specific route you can take, to achieve this with no problem. I'll attempt to describe it!
All of that is pretty much done with out really even stopping.

Step 1: Drive forward and arch the center ball over the 2 balls rolling in front of it
Step 2: Immediately after hitting the center ball in, make a quick left and hit one of the rolling balls in.
Step 3: As quickly and swiftly as possible, knock the other rolling ball in.
Step 4: Turn around and drive towards the other goal, hit the ball on the right side off the blue wall (May take a few tries to calculate where you need to hit it off the wall in order for it to go in.
Step 5: Immediately after you hit that ball, turn to your left and finally hit the last ball in.

Volley: 5 Stars = 20
-You can actually complete this one with a good amount of time still left on the clock, so you don't REALLY need to rush.
-Sometimes balls will spawn right next to each other, when this happens, you can usually hit one ball into another. Which saves a lot of time.
-Conserve your boost, in the meantime, use forward dodge. No need to go out of your way to grab boost.

Stalkers: 5 Stars = 5
There is not REAL strategy (that we've found) to get 5 stars, the best way I've found is to do none-stop boosting on the walls, when you start to get low swoop down and grab another cannister.
-Don't hold boost down, use little bits at a time. You can only go so fast, so you'd be wasting boost if you're already going top speed.
-Use your swivel camera (right stick) to look around and locate your enemies.
-Use behind view (R3) to locate your enemies.

Unbalanced: 5 Stars = 7
-Play lots of defense, any chance you get, punt the ball down to the other end of the field, and take it from there.
-Center the ball to yourself by using the corners walls.
-Stay back on the kickoffs, if you spawn on the sides reverse back and grab the boost cannister. The AI will usually hit the ball right to you, making it easy for you to punt the ball to the other end of the field, and possibly even into the goal.

Breakaway: 5 Stars = 24
-It's actually okay to miss 1 (and only 1) shot.
-Take the same approach as you would when playing Striker.

Colorblind: 5 Stars = 19
-You've got to be pretty precise and quick in this mini-game. You've got a LITTLE bit of time line up your shots, but you need to be pretty swift at the same time.
-Dodge into the balls to get them in the goal quicker.
-If a blue ball is located on the red side, punt the ball to the blue side, and take care of any red ball on the red side. And vice versa.

Cubic: 5 Stars = 5
-This game has a great deal of luck involved, the best information I can give would be hit the crate in the goals general direction and prey for a lucky bounce! :D

Time Warp: 5 Stars = 6
-Play this like you would any other normal match, but use the slow motion to your advantage!

8 Ball: 5 Stars = 100
-There was no specific route I found that was any faster than another. :/
-Probably best to wait for the balls that are rolling, to center themselves, in the meantime, take care of the ones that are already centered. If none happen to be centered, take care of the ones furthest away from the goal.

Unfair: 5 Stars = 6
-The best strategy for this level is to push the ball along the outer wall, doing this well eventually center the ball directly in front of your opposing teams goal, giving you an easy shot.

Keeper: 5 Stars = 22
-Once again, take the same approach as you did with Sweeper.
-If you've learned rocket-flying, the best and safest way to save the long arched shots, is to rocket-fly into the air and hit them out of the way.

Domination: 5 Stars = 5
-Watch out for the bully!
-Play lots of defense in this one.

Territory: 5 Stars = 5
-This game focuses you to make half to full court shots, this is actually a good skill if you can manage to master it.
-Use the wall to make bank shots.

Sandstorm: 5 Stars = 5
-During the kickoff, you'll want to stay back, and let your opponent hit the ball, most of the time it'll dribble right to you, allowing you to punt it down field.
-Punting the ball down field is probably the best strategy for this mini-game. What the wind will do is, it'll carry the ball (usually) to the center of the level. So if you punt it to the left or right, it'll most likely end up in the center at some point.
-When taking shots from a distance, aim to the left and right of the goal, for the wind will carry the ball towards the center.

Airborne: 5 Stars = 38
-I highly recommend doing the rocket-flying tutorial before attempting this.
-This is another game where you can take a little more time. You can complete it with time to spare.
-Use the same approach as Volley.

All the Tournament mode game types all require the same mindset, and strategy. Defense! Further down the list of the tournament games it may require a little more defense than the others. I pretty much never went in for the kickoff, usually they'll knock the ball right to you, I'd just arch it over their defense, and score right then and there. If you can manage to do this, you should have no problem cruising through this with 5 stars. I will list the amount of goals needed to achieve 5 stars.

Easy: 5 stars = 8
Confronter: 5 stars = 8
Triple: 5 stars = 7
Pair: 5 stars = 7
Ringer: 5 stars = 7
Loaded: 5 stars = 7
Faceoff: 5 stars = 7
Triplet: 5 stars = 5
Overflow: 5 stars = 5
Duo: 5 stars = 5
Rival: 5 stars = 5
Trio: 5 stars = 5
Finale: 5 stars = 5

I hope this guide helps a little. Any questions or comments feel free to mention them. I may update this list as time goes in, as further strategic moves and styles may unfold.

Thanks!
Psyonix-Adam
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Psyonix-Adam

Re: Official Battle-Cars Guide

Postby Kamahl on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:53 pm

this is gonna be very helpful :D

thanks a lot ;)
Kamahl
Supersonic

PSN ID: Kamahl_rg

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:48 pm

I thought I would chime in on some of these:

Tips:

- Remember that forward dodge gives you speed. Two dodges will put you in supersonic. If you forward dodge over an enemy car at this speed, you will (if you time it right) completely demolish them, without even slowing down.

- Always have a goalie! If you look back and dont see one, you're it! If you're goaly, and your team has the ball on the other end, be sure to come to mid field to get the easy shot. Your team mates should try to center it for you, giving your team an easy goal.

- If you're goalie, be ready to get back to the goal double quick! You can dodge backwards, it works pretty well, but you cant drive backwards as fast as you can forwards (boost is forward only), but most players cant break away with the ball faster than you can get in front of them and deflect their shot!

- If there are 2 goalies, form a line, let one go and the other stay back. Its always good to have a spare!

MiniGames:

Stalkers

- I stay on the bottom, and hold boost constantly. The cars all line up (if you miss their initial approach, which can take some luck and a few well timed dodges) behind you, and you just zoom around stealing all the boost. As long as youre using it, you'll pick ALL of it up, and they wont have any to catch you. Keep turning in one direction, and their lack of boost will mean that their constant forward dodges send them too far off course, and cause them to slow down. If you start blinking, dont panic, just keep at it! As long as you boost, you're most likely safe. You can switch on reverse cam (press the right stick in and hold) to see directly behind you, and where they are.

Do the tapping of hand brake that Adam mentions to do quick turns near the ends of the field and keep your speed. Master this, and you'll get 5 stars easily!
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Psyonix-Jerad
Region: US/EU

Postby TruSolja on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:56 pm

Wow Adam, when you said you were writing a guide, I didn't think you would include minigame and tournament help as well. Instant win for anyone going to 5 stars. Thanks a lot pal. Learned a new trick also, the tap SQUARE works brilliantly. Finally got Scavenger also, because I would holding the brake too long and losing speed.

This game is so addictive, I can see why you guys are "Soccar Stars". Thanks for the guide!
Image Image Image Image
TruSolja

PSN ID: TruSolja
Steam ID: TruSolja
GamerTag: YourHolySavior
Region: US

Postby SergeantFresh on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:53 am

Thanks, that was even more than I expected! This will help a lot not only in honing the skills - but just in general knowing how far off I am from those five star ratings.
Currently Playing: SARPBC, PAIN, WipeOut HD (<-but too frustrated to continue right now)
Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know, a pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence. Gotta get me some of that. - Stewie Griffin
SergeantFresh
Acrobatic

PSN ID: SergeantFresh

Postby SergeantFresh on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks much again - snuck home at lunch to try a little of this out - did not have much time but that handbrake trick (the only one I have really tried so far) makes all the difference - I actually bumped my stars up one in the scavenger minigame while just experimenting with this trick - without even really trying, just trying to see how well it worked - the added time gained from not loosing speed was enough to pick up a few extra canisters and bump my star rating!

This will be highly useful online also as it seems a little more controled than holding down the button also!!
Currently Playing: SARPBC, PAIN, WipeOut HD (<-but too frustrated to continue right now)
Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know, a pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence. Gotta get me some of that. - Stewie Griffin
SergeantFresh
Acrobatic

PSN ID: SergeantFresh

Postby Eternal_Spoon on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks! This will be very helpful. You make it sound so easy though, but with enough practice, I may be able to pull this off. If I can focus on it long enough, that is.
Eternal_Spoon
Supersonic

PSN ID: Eternal_Spoon

Postby DuckWC on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 am

Hey! Thanks, I didn't see this guide before! Many questions are now answered!

Thanks!
DuckWC
Acrobatic

PSN ID: DuckWC

Postby IdleHacker on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:29 am

You should post this on GameFAQs (which also would give you a place to plug your website and these forums), or with your permission, I'll post it for you (with due credit and plugs of course)
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. - Benjamin Franklin
Integrity has no need of rules. - Albert Camus

Helpful links - Rocket League FAQ - Forum Icon legend
IdleHacker
ARC Beta Tester
ARC Beta Tester

PSN ID: IdleHacker
Steam ID: jeff_carter

Postby Killerworld on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:35 am

This guide is helpful but I'd like to see some videos because I really suck at hitting the ball right -_-'
Killerworld
Supersonic

PSN ID: Killerworld

Postby KillJoy on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:56 am

Try the Replays forum. There are some videos from really good players on there.
KillJoy
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: KillJoy54321

Postby jncasanova on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:24 pm

For the Stalkers mini-game actually I found the ultimate techinque for achieving 5 stars in an ultra-uber-awesomely-easy way.

When the mini game starts go directly in front of you, your enemy will try to hit you but you can see him and just jump over him and let him pass, next just stay in the middle of the field, in the center of the big circle anow pay close attention as this is the secret tactic: JUMP!!!!

Yes, just jump as if you were jumping the rope, jump non-stop, as soon as you touch the ground jump again, maybe your car will start moving to the sides or backwards or forwards but doesn't matter, your enemies won't touch you ever and they will just circle around you and below you trying to hit you but they can't time your jumps because they are more busy boosting themselves.

Hope I have made myself clear and this tip helped someone.
jncasanova
Acrobatic

PSN ID: jncasanova

Postby Psyonix-Adam on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:07 am

jncasanova wrote:For the Stalkers mini-game actually I found the ultimate techinque for achieving 5 stars in an ultra-uber-awesomely-easy way.

When the mini game starts go directly in front of you, your enemy will try to hit you but you can see him and just jump over him and let him pass, next just stay in the middle of the field, in the center of the big circle anow pay close attention as this is the secret tactic: JUMP!!!!

Yes, just jump as if you were jumping the rope, jump non-stop, as soon as you touch the ground jump again, maybe your car will start moving to the sides or backwards or forwards but doesn't matter, your enemies won't touch you ever and they will just circle around you and below you trying to hit you but they can't time your jumps because they are more busy boosting themselves.

Hope I have made myself clear and this tip helped someone.

:) Yep, this works every time. I've been too lazy to update it.
Psyonix-Adam
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Psyonix-Adam

Postby IdleHacker on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:50 am

With Adam's permission, I am re-writing this guide for use on GameFAQs. If anyone has any other tips they want added, please PM me. Include your GameFAQs username if you want it in the credits, otherwise I will credit your username on here.

One thing that I would like to include is the numbers for 2, 3, and 4 stars for each mini-game and tournament...if anyone has that, please let me know...otherwise I will test them myself

jncasanova and Psyonix-Jerad - can I have permission to use your tips posted in this thread? (giving credit where credit is due)
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. - Benjamin Franklin

IdleHacker
ARC Beta Tester
ARC Beta Tester

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:59 am

But of course ;)
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Psyonix-Jerad
Region: US/EU

Postby jncasanova on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 pm

sure!! i've always wanted to write a gamefaq or contribute to one!
jncasanova
Acrobatic

PSN ID: jncasanova

Postby IdleHacker on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Version 1.0 of my GameFAQs Guide is nearly complete. If anyone has anything they want included in the first submission, please PM me ASAP

IdleHacker
ARC Beta Tester
ARC Beta Tester

Postby IdleHacker on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:25 am

Version 1.0 has been posted to GameFAQs, available here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/952259/55522

Feel free to make comments and/or suggestions.

Also, has anyone heard of Cheat Code Central? (www.cheatcc.com) They contacted me asking if they could post my FAQ on their site

IdleHacker
ARC Beta Tester
ARC Beta Tester

Postby seanyoung24 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:55 am

nice I think that could help a lot of people out, especially the people just starting out :) yeah I used to go to cheatcodecentral back in the day for cheat codes on gta 3, vice city and all kinds of other crap... the site isn't too bad, and I guess if it's on a couple websites more people might see the faq, but I think you should be just fine with it only on gamefaqs, especially since most of us are on the boards anyway, and there is a link right here directly to the guide
seanyoung24
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: seanyoung24

Postby KillJoy on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Off topic but...

CartersAdvocate, it seems you are the most active forum member who is not also a psyonix developer. If you're so crazy about this game, how is it possible I've never once played with you in the game? What game types do you normally play?
KillJoy
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: KillJoy54321

Next

Return to Help