Player Banners Explained

Official announcements and news relating to Rocket League.

Player Banners Explained

Postby Dirkened on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:40 pm

We want to thank everyone for their feedback last week on the Season 5 Rewards, and the Player Banners overall. (And thank you for the alternate Reward suggestions, some of which were well-received here at the studio.) Now that the dust has settled on the announcement, we want to take this opportunity to talk about the Banners moving forward, and give you some examples of how Banners are used in the game.

First and foremost, we decided to go with Player Banners for Season 5 Rewards because we wanted to give players the ability to show off their competitive achievements without relying on an Item Customization slot attached to a Preset in the Garage. The Toppers, Rocket Boosts, Wheels, and Trails we created for previous Competitive Season Rewards were well-received by the community, but using that Season Two Star Rocket Boost means you can’t use Boosts from drops, Crates, or Fan Rewards. Player Banners help you display your Ranked chops, while keeping your car’s look exactly how you want it.

Additionally, the Season 5 Reward Player Banners are not mandatory in any way. While everyone who placed in Competitive Playlists will get one or several of these Dragon-themed Player Banners, you do not have to display them on your account. Player Banners are a new Customization Item, so you will have a level of control over the Player Banners as you do Toppers, Wheels, and so on. Along with being able to choose which Player Banner you display (including keeping the ‘Standard’ Banner in place), you’ll also be able to customize the color on some Banners. (See the screenshots below.)

Outside of the S5 Rewards Banners you have already seen, all other Player Banners in the Autumn Update are not aesthetically tied to anything specific. Like the rest of our Customization Items, the Banners are cool, or funny (or both), or have an eye-catching effect like some of our Black Market Decals.

But what do they look like when you’re actually in Rocket League? Up top, you can see our dear friend, the Pigeon, demonstrating how the Player Banner fits into the Goal Replay screen. Below you can see how the Player Banner fits into the Garage Menu UI, and how some Banners have customizable colors.

Hopefully this helps clear up some of the questions you may have with the new item type, and we're always here to answer whatever Player Banner questions we can.

Rocket League Fan Ambassador
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Re: Player Banners Explained

Postby Rufmeister on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:01 pm

I think this is a great idea! Thank you for posting this clarification to help players who found them confusing.
Rufmeister

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby Tentacles on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Still ugly.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby zGreenMachine- on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Tentacles wrote:Still ugly.

oh no more free content

don't use it then
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby Tentacles on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:06 pm

zGreenMachine- wrote:
Tentacles wrote:Still ugly.

oh no more free content

don't use it then

One of my favorite parts about Rocket League was they took care of their player base, it's sad to see Psyonix going down hill and going the way of OverWatch(Biggest Joke ever for ranked rewards).
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby Skaldy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:47 am

Thanks to Psyonix for the clarification, but they are still a very minor interface improvement and exactly what I had assumed they were.

Why can't we display our hard-earning item Certifications on them? Certs have been out for over a year, and they are still pointlessly hidden from other players.
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Region: EU

Postby Evil-Emu on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 am

Personally I like the idea of banners. It gives you more customisation and that's always a bonus.

I just hope we can earn banners from playing games i.e win 1 game, 5 games 1000 games. Score 1 goal, 3 goals 1million goals. Save 1 shot , 10 shots 1000 shots Etc Etc Etc.
I'am sure you catch my drift, gives us even more to try to unlock!
Evil-Emu
Supersonic

PSN ID: moominemu
Region: United Kingdom

Postby Tentacles on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:50 am

Evil-Emu wrote:Personally I like the idea of banners. It gives you more customisation and that's always a bonus.

I just hope we can earn banners from playing games i.e win 1 game, 5 games 1000 games. Score 1 goal, 3 goals 1million goals. Save 1 shot , 10 shots 1000 shots Etc Etc Etc.

Would you open crates knowning banners were in them? I would not.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby Redstorm705 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

Tentacles wrote:
Evil-Emu wrote:Personally I like the idea of banners. It gives you more customisation and that's always a bonus.

They put fidget spinners in a crate as an exotic, crates at this point are already a major joke. No need to make it worse.
BRING BACK NEO
Redstorm705
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Redstorm705
Steam ID: Redstorm
Region: US - East

Postby Evil-Emu on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Tentacles wrote:

I don't open crates now, so it makes no difference.

Hardly any worse than getting decals for cars you don't own!
Evil-Emu
Supersonic

PSN ID: moominemu
Region: United Kingdom

Postby Tentacles on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Redstorm705 wrote:
Tentacles wrote:

They put fidget spinners in a crate as an exotic, crates at this point are already a major joke. No need to make it worse.

Ha tru tru, those wheels were hideous.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby N7Mith on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:38 am

It's better than I originally thought it would be. But it still cost recources (man hours) that could better have been spent elsewhere.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby zGreenMachine- on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:53 pm

As much as I don't like COD anymore, one thing I liked about it was that you could unlock a lot of customization items by completing challenges. It'd be nice to have something like that to work for in RL besides completing useless certifications
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby Jonsteve on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:41 pm

oh I see
Jon steve is a struggling actor and model. He is currenty working as an embasdor of a best headphones company.
Jonsteve
Supersonic

PSN ID: jonsteve001
Steam ID: jonsteve1
GamerTag: Mr.jonAbaft
Region: Both

Postby Tentacles on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:39 am

Challenges to unlock banner stuff now that I could get behind.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Return to Official Messages