Starbase ARC and Wasteland Redesigned as Standard Arenas

Let the world know that you're a force to be reckoned with or get new members for your awesome football club!

Starbase ARC and Wasteland Redesigned as Standard Arenas

Postby Dirkened on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:49 am

Changes are coming to Rocket League Arenas later this year with our Autumn Update. With the arrival of Competitive Season 6 comes a new norm -- as only Standard Arenas will be playable in online matches for both Competitive and Casual matches.

More specifically, standard versions of both Wasteland and Starbase ARC will roll out with this change, while the classic, non-standard versions of these maps (now called ‘Badlands’ and ‘ARCtagon,’ respectively), will remain available for Private Matches and offline matches only. The Octagon and Underpass Lab Arenas will return to the Rocket Labs playlist as well.

Why are we changing our stance? Because in the time since Wasteland Arena first launched in late 2015, non-standard map layouts have been a hot topic of debate within the Rocket League community. We have carefully listened to your feedback over that extended period of time, and though we didn't arrive to this decision lightly, we believe it's the right one to make. Here's a quick rundown of several important factors that moved us in this direction:
  • We see Rocket League as a digital sport. As such, we think standardization is important and necessary to provide a level playing field and foster consistent competition across all skill levels and events.
  • We introduced non-standard arenas partly to provide variety for pro play, but they have not been embraced. Given the success of RLCS and Rocket League Esports in general, we no longer feel that map variety is needed or appropriate for the competitive scene.
  • Rocket Labs showed us that only a narrow set of arena designs would be well-received by the Rocket League community. Even the designs that more closely resembled conventional Arenas (like Octagon and Starbase) have been extremely divisive. Ultimately, the alternate layouts we devised simply didn’t add enough strategically to offset the corresponding loss in predictability and muscle memory.

After thorough discussion of the above points, your feedback, and analysis of the data gathered from our Map Preferences system, we decided to focus on Standard Arenas going forward. We aren’t willing to force the adoption of non-Standard Arenas in professional competition, and we want a consistent set of rules and interactions for our entire community -- from 'Bronze I' rookies all the way up to those playing in the RLCS World Championship.

While we still value the variety that non-Standard Arenas brought to the map rotation, we no longer think the benefits outweighs the downsides they bring. We apologize to those who will be disappointed with this change but, ultimately, we have to act in what we think are the best interests of the game and the community at large. More than two years and 35 million players later, THANK YOU for continuing to play and support Rocket League. Your continued feedback is more important now than ever before.
Rocket League Fan Ambassador
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Re: Starbase ARC and Wasteland Redesigned as Standard Arenas

Postby Stlaymore on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:54 am

Oh great, here comes the standard vs non-standard war again.
[all ranks below were achieved solo]
Stlaymore
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Stlaymore
Region: USNE

Postby Volodesi on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am

Why couldn't Stadium have been made before this decision? :(
Issues with Rocket League? Look HERE first! Game not starting? Look HERE! Connection Troubleshooting? Look HERE!
Forum Icon Legend

Friends don't let friends drive Mercs.
Volodesi

PSN ID: JoshM248
Steam ID: Volodesi
Region: US:Mid-West

Postby Stlaymore on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am

Volodesi wrote:Why couldn't Stadium have been made before this decision? :(

And that too. :cheesygrin:
Stlaymore
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Fijut on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Well thank you for screwing over those of us who were loyal through SARPBC, RL Alpha and Beta.

It's all about the crates now and pandering to esport kiddies who can only get skilled at one map and not learn to adapt to new situations.

Because lets face it, that's where the PROFIT is. Crates, esport kiddies and the generation that doesn't know how to lose. Psynoix no longer cares about making a fun game, it's just a business. Like the attitude most developers seem to have these days.

Saw this coming, but still hurts.

Bye.
Fijut
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Fijut
Steam ID: Fijut
Region: EU/UK

Postby zGreenMachine- on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:42 pm

RIP

Wasteland
Neo Tokyo
Starbase ARC

I guess there's no reason to hope for new non-standard maps in RL anymore :ohwell:
Mega Help Thread by Petoskey97
GC before S5 ends?
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby Skaldy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm

So is there any point having the Like/Dislike mechanism now?
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Region: EU

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Another change largly driven by the privileged top %. As if it wasn't clear before, Psyonix only care for the pros and those at the top with the potential to move over. The rest of us are just to be milked for keys, once again for the benefit of the top few.

May as well not bother with any new maps if it's just reskins from now on. No point. Can throw the money saved at the pro players, seem to focus everything else on them, so may as well give them so extra.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby Desirsar on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Can we get two more thumbs down in the matchmaking so I can add these, please? These are ugly as re-skins, but were appropriate for their custom shapes, all of which were excellent maps in their original form.
Desirsar
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Desirsar
Region: US

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Why shouldn't Stadium be the only map in the game?
It is the only PROPER football field, after all.

Regardless, this whole thing is a big "why bother?", to me.
Why bother with converting the retiring fields, to create "new maps"?
There's literally no point in that.
It isn't going to add ANYTHING to the game, so why bother?

Why not just ditch all of the arenas, except one?
That would create a zero upkeep condition, with respect to the arenas, going forward.
As-is, every time a new arena comes out, it screws up the whole game for weeks, or YEARS now, in the case of Utopia.

Why not just ditch the textures completely, outside "the box", so it looks more like the Rocket Labs maps?
The garbage around the arenas contributes nothing to the game, and makes it run like crap for a lot of people.
If e-sports is the only thing that matters anymore, it should have nothing but a single, simple arena, to keep the playing field level.
Having less textures in play would make the game run much better on peoples' existing rigs, as well as making it feasible to run on rigs that are currently unable to run it.
That, in turn, would increase the available player pool, which should be good for e-sports.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby N7Mith on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Just 4 things:

Seperate. Non-standard. Ranked. Playlist.

Keep to Rocket Lab skins if you must, just give this to the portion of the community that loves the alternate maps. If it doesn't draw a decent crowd, I'll shut up about it.
:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Extraordinarily Talkative
Extraordinarily Talkative

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby AlexCuse44 on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:50 pm

Pro:

1. We can finally stop talking about mm and servers for a week.

Con:

1. We have to talk about this again...

I love the forums but can we just mutually agree on something for once. Talking about a sick goal or cool experiences would be a nice change of pace around here.
AlexCuse44
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Postby sarpbcIScrack on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:02 pm

or galleon... :cry: now im certain ill never see that map again
sarpbcIScrack
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: PhillyPhils
Region: US/EU

Postby Tentacles on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Oh thank blog, season 6 will be great(provided they can get their servers working). And to all those complaining, you know they based this decision on the massive amount of dislikes on those maps.
Tentacles
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:38 pm

AlexCuse44 wrote:I love the forums but can we just mutually agree on something for once. Talking about a sick goal or cool experiences would be a nice change of pace around here.

"Talking about cool experiences" is kind of dependent on Psyonix providing us cool experiences to talk about.
They haven't released anything "cool" in quite a while.
Quite the opposite, this game has been moving more and more towards completely boring, and that trend just keeps picking up speed with each new update.

At this point I'm waiting to see if they've actually fixed the stupid pillar things on Utopia blacking out.
I'm hoping that is covered by the "quarterpipe will be see-through as well!" statement because it isn't the quarterpipe causing the problem, it's the stupid pillars somebody put on top of the quarterpipe.
I've been complaining about that since they released the first version, shortly after launch, and all they've done is multiply it by releasing "new" versions of the map, with the same flaw.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to put opaque objects in an area that the camera swings behind regularly, needs to go back to mapmaking 101.

Fortunately for me, there are a whole bunch of racing games coming out over the next few months, so I'll have something to do other than bore myself to death with Season 6.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Stlaymore on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:Another change largly driven by the privileged top %. As if it wasn't clear before, Psyonix only care for the pros and those at the top with the potential to move over. The rest of us are just to be milked for keys, once again for the benefit of the top few.

May as well not bother with any new maps if it's just reskins from now on. No point. Can throw the money saved at the pro players, seem to focus everything else on them, so may as well give them so extra.

I doubt this change was for the top%. After the standardized Tokyo update, many people were asking for the same to happen to these two maps, and not just in the forums. Many people here have said that these maps were on their disliked list. And, as the developer said, they gathered this information from their like/dislike system's data.

P.S. Please modify winstreak system soon, it's too unforgiving.
Stlaymore
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby zGreenMachine- on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 pm

N7Mith wrote:Just 4 things:

Keep to Rocket Lab skins if you must, just give this to the portion of the community that loves the alternate maps. If it doesn't draw a decent crowd, I'll shut up about it.

The labs playlist is already dead anyways :dork: Underpass is going back into the rotation so that's something I can look forward to at least...
Mega Help Thread by Petoskey97
GC before S5 ends?
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby JacobThePigeon on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:59 pm

sarpbcIScrack wrote:

or galleon... :cry: now im certain ill never see that map again

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby UnknownMaster21 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:11 am

Right...well it was expected. Time for rocket labs
UnknownMaster21
Supersonic

Steam ID: UnknownMaster21

Postby Mutschuk on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:16 am

N7Mith wrote:Just 4 things:

I wanted to propose this idea too. I liked the non-standard maps. Every time the same shape is boring. Altough the opponents keep it interesting for me, I can't bring myself to say goodbye to wasteland in ranked (or badlands - wuhu Borderlands ^^)

I will open a new thread about this, to see if more people like the idea
Mutschuk
Supersonic

Steam ID: [RR] Mutschuk

Next

Return to Team Intros and Recruitment