Casual Matchmaking Suggestion

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

Casual Matchmaking Suggestion

Postby Sven6895 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:04 pm

I tend to play rocket league at least once every day and I start out playing casual with a whole bunch of separate game-mode choices selected. However I feel that its become a problem more and more often that when I search for a casual game, I join one in session where the score is already 0-5 and in some cases it is nearly impossible to come back when the time of the match is around one minute left.

My suggestion is to add a tick box to the casual matchmaking menu that would allow/disallow joining games in session.

I realize that this is not a huge problem, but I would love to join games when they start rather than be down multiple points with a bot or two on my team because the team that was here before me decided to abandon the match because they were losing too much.

I understand that this is typically only a solo-queue issue, but between work and college my friends and I are not on at the same time very often and when I play these casual games it would just be awesome to not have to think about if I'm going to join a game that I have no hope in winning which tends to take the fun out of playing game-modes like Hoops, Dropshot, and Rumble.
Sven6895
Supersonic

Steam ID: [wdd] Sven6895
Region: US
Switch Friend Code: 0

Re: Casual Matchmaking Suggestion

Postby Rufmeister on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Sven6895 wrote:I tend to play rocket league at least once every day and I start out playing casual with a whole bunch of separate game-mode choices selected. However I feel that its become a problem more and more often that when I search for a casual game, I join one in session where the score is already 0-5 and in some cases it is nearly impossible to come back when the time of the match is around one minute left.

My suggestion is to add a tick box to the casual matchmaking menu that would allow/disallow joining games in session.

I realize that this is not a huge problem, but I would love to join games when they start rather than be down multiple points with a bot or two on my team because the team that was here before me decided to abandon the match because they were losing too much.

I understand that this is typically only a solo-queue issue, but between work and college my friends and I are not on at the same time very often and when I play these casual games it would just be awesome to not have to think about if I'm going to join a game that I have no hope in winning which tends to take the fun out of playing game-modes like Hoops, Dropshot, and Rumble.

Only problem with your idea is that everyone would uncheck that box and nobody would ever be able to replace a bot in a game where a teammate left. This would be a good idea with games that are completely out of hand, but its always nice to have a teammate join if you area only a goal or two behind with time left. Maybe games would automatically not be joinable if you are behind a certain amount of points, but that would still be unjust for the team behind with an AI.
Rufmeister

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby Galactic Geek on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:53 am

I would just set it up so a casual game only tracked your XP gain and nothing else if you came into the game late - that way your MMR won't be negatively effected by something already beyond your control. You'd have to be in a match from the beginning all of the way to end for it to count. To counteract rage-quitting and other early quitters, MMR would still affect those who quit the match 1st. This way you don't get punished for being late (although you don't gain anything either, other than the aforementioned XP, if the match is in your favor - this would help curb the opposite affect of free, easy, or cheap MMR gains on quick wins), but you still get punished for leaving early.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: Galactic Geek

Postby N7Mith on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 am

I can agree with that.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Sven6895 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Rufmeister wrote:Only problem with your idea is that everyone would uncheck that box and nobody would ever be able to replace a bot in a game where a teammate left. This would be a good idea with games that are completely out of hand, but its always nice to have a teammate join if you area only a goal or two behind with time left. Maybe games would automatically not be joinable if you are behind a certain amount of points, but that would still be unjust for the team behind with an AI.

There are still reasons that would give people an incentive to join games in session.

Generally people don't like to wait when finding a match, which would mean more people would actually want to join games in session. Along with this idea, a pretty decent majority of people who play casual are just warming up to play their competitive playlists and by not waiting for longer queue times and simply getting to warm up in the game faster, they wouldn't have any need to wait for new, full games to start.

If this option to join in session were enabled by default, I feel that almost ALL of new players and less experienced players wouldn't even tell there was an issue here, or even better yet the players who are getting a first impression of the game can avoid the trouble of joining a game where their original teammates quit on them, because as a first impression 1v3s are not fun when getting to know the game.

Perhaps a disclaimer could be shown if the box is un-ticked that you may have to wait drastically longer to join matches if you disable joining in session. I think this would deter players from disabling the feature and would split the majority of players both ways so that people could still get teammates instead of bots mid-game.

I suppose a more adapted suggestion taking MMR into account like Galactic Greek said would work although I think if a 'quitters'' MMR dropped, then over time all the low MMR groups centered around rookies and semi-pros would just be leaving constantly.

However, if 'quitters' were paired up together after constantly leaving matches, this might just circumvent the problem all together. The system that overwatch has in place is interesting, where if you habitually quit matches early, you are penalized after repeated incidents.
Sven6895
Supersonic

Postby Galactic Geek on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:41 pm

Sven6895 wrote:Galactic Greek

I'm not Greek. ;)
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby N7Mith on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:50 pm

I'd favor a middle road; not being put in games with 1 goal per 30 remaining seconds difference. Minimum of 2 goals with 1 min remaining. I like turning a match around, but it has to be doable. I won't like knowing there will be no replacements because everyone has checked some box to keep them out of gips.

N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby Bacon on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:58 am

Galactic Greek wrote:I would just set it up so a casual game only tracked your XP gain and nothing else if you came into the game late - that way your MMR won't be negatively effected by something already beyond your control. You'd have to be in a match from the beginning all of the way to end for it to count. To counteract rage-quitting and other early quitters, MMR would still affect those who quit the match 1st. This way you don't get punished for being late (although you don't gain anything either, other than the aforementioned XP, if the match is in your favor - this would help curb the opposite affect of free, easy, or cheap MMR gains on quick wins), but you still get punished for leaving early.

This.

I'd also like to see Psyonix put in place a mercy rule, so that a match would immediately end in the event of a blowout. It shouldn't even be possible to join a match down 5-0 with less than 2 minutes remaining.
Bacon
Acrobatic

GamerTag: Bacon Hoarder

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:34 am

Bacon wrote:
Galactic Greek wrote:I would just set it up so a casual game only tracked your XP gain and nothing else if you came into the game late - that way your MMR won't be negatively effected by something already beyond your control. You'd have to be in a match from the beginning all of the way to end for it to count. To counteract rage-quitting and other early quitters, MMR would still affect those who quit the match 1st. This way you don't get punished for being late (although you don't gain anything either, other than the aforementioned XP, if the match is in your favor - this would help curb the opposite affect of free, easy, or cheap MMR gains on quick wins), but you still get punished for leaving early.

This.

I'd also like to see Psyonix put in place a mercy rule, so that a match would immediately end in the event of a blowout. It shouldn't even be possible to join a match down 5-0 with less than 2 minutes remaining.

I like the idea of there being a threshold - for example, if a team earns 5 points before the other team can earn 1, then the game would immediately end (or 1-6, 2-7, etc.). However, the 5 points have to be consecutive - 1 after the other, with no interrupts from the other team scoring a point. I think this would be enough to prove that 1 team is obviously better than the other. That said, I'd still worry about a team getting carried by a single player.

This idea also has the benefit of ending games faster, so it'll be easier to find matches that start from the beginning because more people will be in the queue more often (although, that's not necessarily a good thing because it also means more time will be spent outside of matches).

The threshold could even be implemented only during specific scenarios, like the losing team being down a player with no replacement in sight.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Sven6895 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:24 pm

N7Mith wrote:I'd favor a middle road; not being put in games with 1 goal per 30 remaining seconds difference. Minimum of 2 goals with 1 min remaining. I like turning a match around, but it has to be doable. I won't like knowing there will be no replacements because everyone has checked some box to keep them out of gips.

How will you "know" that everyone is going to disable join in session? Especially if there was a disclaimer that it could take drastically longer to find a match? There will always be impatient people looking for matches, I find it hard to believe out of the 30k+ average people matchmaking in casual you wouldn't find a match anyways with the feature added into the game.

By the way sorry Galactic Geek for typing your name wrong, I was half paying attention when I typed it earlier :?
Sven6895
Supersonic

Postby Bacon on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Galactic Geek wrote:
Bacon wrote:
Galactic Greek wrote:I would just set it up...

This.

I'd also like...

I like the idea of...

I misspelled it intentionally, just to see if anyone was paying attention. :lol:
Bacon
Acrobatic

GamerTag: Bacon Hoarder

Postby N7Mith on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:56 am

Sven6895 wrote:
N7Mith wrote:I'd favor a middle road; not being put in games with 1 goal per 30 remaining seconds difference. Minimum of 2 goals with 1 min remaining. I like turning a match around, but it has to be doable. I won't like knowing there will be no replacements because everyone has checked some box to keep them out of gips.

How will you "know" that everyone is going to disable join in session? Especially if there was a disclaimer that it could take drastically longer to find a match? There will always be impatient people looking for matches, I find it hard to believe out of the 30k+ average people matchmaking in casual you wouldn't find a match anyways with the feature added into the game.

By the way sorry Galactic Geek for typing your name wrong, I was half paying attention when I typed it earlier :?

Because getting put in losing gips is one of the biggest annoyances in the community. All it takes is 2 or 3 bad joins in a row, and people check that box.

N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby Sven6895 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 pm

N7Mith wrote:Because getting put in losing gips is one of the biggest annoyances in the community. All it takes is 2 or 3 bad joins in a row, and people check that box.

The majority of people who join these games in progress just leave the second they glance at the score anyways. If you are concerned about getting new teammates then you would be doing yourself a favor by eliminating these types of people and still allowing everyone who has the box unchecked (which could be unchecked by default in the settings) to join your game and give you more confidence that they will stay till the end of the match regardless of score.

I just think that if you don't mind waiting the extra time to join a new match then you should have the option to. However if you don't mind joining a game in progress and want to join much faster, then don't change anything.
Sven6895
Supersonic

Return to Suggestions