Players shouldn't be banned for using "offensive" language.

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

Players shouldn't be banned for using "offensive" language.

Postby Esterni on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Full Disclosure: I am only posting here because I was banned for 24 hours from online play for "using abusive or offensive language." Regardless, I will try to remain unbiased in the points made below:

Point 1:
This is an online game. An E-Sports game. Foul language and smack talk, directed towards the other team, is common in a game of sports. Emotions run high in a competitive environment, of which Rocket League is a part of. At the end, sportsmanship still exists regardless of words said during the game. Personally, I aspire to keep a high level of sportsmanship after a match has concluded. It is possible for both aspects to co-exist.

Point 2:
It has been standard for years across the industry for the disclaimer "Online Interactions Not Rated By the ESRB." to be displayed. It is incredulous that a player can be banned from online play based on the foulness of the language they choose to use towards another player, regardless of the medium used to communicate that. For example, If I can send a message to someone through Steam or Discord without being banned from online play, why should that change by using in-game chat?

Point 3:
"You have been banned for using abusive or offensive language through in game voice or chat."
Pardon? Causing offense to someone is entirely subjective upon the person receiving an insult. If I am thrown verbal insults I will catch and return those insults with glee, taunting and using whichever language I wish all the while. (Abusive language is more defined and will be touched upon below)

Unless this is addressed I will be turning off chat. What's the fucking point of talking to the other team if you don't get to taunt them when they're talking shit and you dunk a goal in their face? IMHO, game chat should be defaulted to OFF and a prompt should display with a warning that game chat is largely unfiltered. Only the most extreme cases receiving a potential ban.

A final note:

I *DO NOT* condone the practice of telling people to commit suicide or otherwise cause harm to themselves. That is abusive and by all means should be considered a bannable offense.
Esterni
Supersonic

Steam ID: Esterni

Re: Players shouldn't be banned for using "offensive" langua

Postby zGreenMachine- on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:50 am

Don't cuss people out, don't use racial slurs, don't call out their supposed sexuality or mental capacity, etc. Use common sense when it comes to banter and if you can't then don't argue with people. I still think that they should start with chat bans first but Psyonix is allowed to police their game how they'd like I guess.

If you really feel obligated to be toxic then at least spam quick chat if you don't want to get banned
Mega Help Thread by Petoskey97
GC quest has failed. Next season!
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby N7Mith on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 am

1: A little smack talk is fine. But don't push it.

2; It's possible to get banned on steam as well. If you get reported for a message be prepared to get banned a full week for the first offense.

3: Apparently you pushed it, with racial slurs or general foulness. Suck it up princess, take that orange, etc etc are perfectly fine. But don't get personally.

Fact is this system was implemented after numerous complaints on toxicity. And since it's here, toxicity has dropped tremendously. So you're on the wrong team on this.
:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Tentacles on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:34 pm

A friend of mine swears in a decent amount of games and still hasn't gotten banned. My guess is you are really abusive and deserve a timeout.
Tentacles
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby JacobThePigeon on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:05 pm

Esterni wrote:Point 1:
This is an online game. An E-Sports game. Foul language and smack talk, directed towards the other team, is common in a game of sports. Emotions run high in a competitive environment, of which Rocket League is a part of. At the end, sportsmanship still exists regardless of words said during the game. Personally, I aspire to keep a high level of sportsmanship after a match has concluded. It is possible for both aspects to co-exist.

True sportsmanship doesn't entail smack talk towards your opponent.

Esterni wrote:Point 3:
"You have been banned for using abusive or offensive language through in game voice or chat."
Pardon? Causing offense to someone is entirely subjective upon the person receiving an insult. If I am thrown verbal insults I will catch and return those insults with glee, taunting and using whichever language I wish all the while. (Abusive language is more defined and will be touched upon below)

Mate, whether you like it or not, you agreed to the ToS when you decided to play Rocket League. If you break the rules you are liable to the consequences. You might want to read up on this: https://www.rocketleague.com/news/code- ... ng-policy/

However,
If you believe that you were wrongfully banned, please contact the Support team so that they can look into the situation.
https://support.rocketleague.com/

You're not wrong though. When it comes down to it, some may consider certain things appropriate, while others may consider the same things offensive. In reality we all have our own opinions on what the standard should be between right and wrong based on what we were taught, how we grew up, where we grew up, the culture we grew up in, etc.. It's all different, in the end we're all opinionated but that's nobody's fault.

With that being said, rules are rules, and we're in Psyonix territory, what they say goes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby BloodyBunny on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Tentacles wrote:A friend of mine swears in a decent amount of games and still hasn't gotten banned. My guess is you are really abusive and deserve a timeout.

I agree with you....my one buddy swears a lot too...nothing racial but lots of swearing and never a ban.
BloodyBunny
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: BloodyBunny

Return to Suggestions