Island/Water Gamemode Idea!

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

Island/Water Gamemode Idea!

Postby Rufmeister on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 pm

First of all, this idea is crazy and stupid in my opinion, but I was convinced to share it. ;)

Rocket League could use a new wild game mode, to draw in players who are getting tired of the typical "SOCCAR" game mode on standard maps. Rocket Labs is very inactive now-a-days, since nothing new is coming of it. Instead of focusing on new maps with different shapes/obstacles, why not try and make a new environment, or a new challenge for players to have whilst facing off. While sitting around playing Jetpack Joyride (you definitely have heard of it) just thinking of what would be an awesome, unique idea playing I became intrigued by the boat power-up and how it uses the momentum of shooting yourself underwater to blast your car into the air to collect coins and avoid obstacles, as shown here:

Then the idea came to mind...

Could this sort of idea be implemented into some sort of water-based (or island) game mode?

Think about this, an arena with many small islands spread out across the playing field (which would be regular sized or maybe larger to hold four players to a team) which players could use two different tactics to aerial the ball.

Option 1:

Pick up boost from one of the small islands and aerial hit as usual.
or...

Option 2:

Sink your car underwater, the deeper underwater you go, the higher your car will shoot into the air to block a shot. Combine that with a little bit of boost and you could do some awesome freestyles and cool shots!

Here is the closest visual representation to my idea that I could find (p.s. it is a great game too!)

This is just a brainstorm and could be elaborated into great depth, however I do not believe this one idea could be to perfection with just one person. If anyone finds this idea cool and would like to elaborate on how goals would be set up, scoring, time, walls (maybe no walls but out of bounds makes you blow up and respawn), or any other miscellaneous things that would make this an awesome unique game mode to draw players towards. I feel like the game is too competitive based and this game mode would be too time consuming for the developers to make, let alone consider. I like to be creative and sharing my ideas is something I enjoy doing. I expect to hear lots of distasteful comments to this post, but I also hope some people will like the idea and could help make it into something that has even the slightest potential. Thanks for reading through my idea! Any feedback is appreciated :)

Rocket League forever :yaypsyonix: :yaypsyonix: :yaypsyonix:
Rufmeister

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Re: Wild Gamemode Idea!

Postby OsoMako on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:50 am

This mode would be dope af. I like the two options for how to move around. I think walls would still be useful for keeping the game flowing, just in a significantly larger arena. In my head, the goals would be slightly larger and extend underwater, and obviously we'd have to have beach balls along with new car models that are actually boats. (That's how you build excitement for a mode, give it new unlocks and models. Even better if you can bring it to regular RL.)

My only real problem, and the one I think the developers would see with it, is that aerialing is skill prohibitive for most new players. If you've ever seen a game of hoops or dropshot with noobs, you'll realize the pain I'm talking about. Could new players still have a ton of fun with it though? I think so. And it'd be a good "learning device" for them.

The real question is ... could we dribble the ball underwater? Boosting to keep the ball from coming back up due to its bouyancy, then sneaking in a goal from underwater would be sick.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Re: Island/Water Gamemode Idea!

Postby Tentacles on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:16 am

Island and water reminds me of a wet t-shirt contest, you know the Animus would win.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Rufmeister on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 am

OsoMako wrote:This mode would be dope af. I like the two options for how to move around. I think walls would still be useful for keeping the game flowing, just in a significantly larger arena. In my head, the goals would be slightly larger and extend underwater, and obviously we'd have to have beach balls along with new car models that are actually boats. (That's how you build excitement for a mode, give it new unlocks and models. Even better if you can bring it to regular RL.)

My only real problem, and the one I think the developers would see with it, is that aerialing is skill prohibitive for most new players. If you've ever seen a game of hoops or dropshot with noobs, you'll realize the pain I'm talking about. Could new players still have a ton of fun with it though? I think so. And it'd be a good "learning device" for them.

The real question is ... could we dribble the ball underwater? Boosting to keep the ball from coming back up due to its bouyancy, then sneaking in a goal from underwater would be sick.

Those are all awesome ideas! The gamemode would require more skill to be proficient at compared to regular modes, but that's what makes it fun!

Tentacles wrote:Island and water reminds me of a wet t-shirt contest, you know the Animus would win.

You gotta love those wet t-shirt contests :lol:
Rufmeister

Postby Rufmeister on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 pm

All other opinions are appreciated! :D
Rufmeister

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 pm

I'd love to get another 6 degree of freedom soccer game, like Monsterball in Descent 3.
Raptorball was OK, but the Raptors in UT2k4 were harder to fly than the Pyros in Descent, so most of the people already playing CarBall at the time didn't really like it.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby duckshard on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Not sure what other people have done with water for Rocket League but I saw this a while back...

duckshard
Supersonic

Postby Rufmeister on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:04 pm

duckshard wrote:Not sure what other people have done with water for Rocket League but I saw this a while back...

This is exactly the type of idea that I was thinking! Maybe make the water a little shallower with a higher launch and a bunch of islands and it'd be super awesome!
Rufmeister

Postby SupaDankNinja on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:30 pm

OsoMako wrote:This mode would be dope af. I like the two options for how to move around. I think walls would still be useful for keeping the game flowing, just in a significantly larger arena. In my head, the goals would be slightly larger and extend underwater, and obviously we'd have to have beach balls along with new car models that are actually boats. (That's how you build excitement for a mode, give it new unlocks and models. Even better if you can bring it to regular RL.)

I would like to add to his idea on this thread and would also like to fix this issue you have, I was thinking that the goal could be right at the top of the water and it could have some sort of beach for players to be able to jump and block with out have to be on the wall or jump out of water. This would allow players to defend and the ball and would allow players with not much aerial skill to go under water and hit it in. I would love feed back if this wouldn't work.
SupaDankNinja
Supersonic

PSN ID: SupaDankNinja
Region: US

Postby Rufmeister on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm

SupaDankNinja wrote:

I would like to add to his idea on this thread and would also like to fix this issue you have, I was thinking that the goal could be right at the top of the water and it could have some sort of beach for players to be able to jump and block with out have to be on the wall or jump out of water. This would allow players to defend and the ball and would allow players with not much aerial skill to go under water and hit it in. I would love feed back if this wouldn't work.

Great fix! I really wish someone could make a sort of visual representation of how a map like this would actually look to put this whole idea together!
Rufmeister

Return to Suggestions