More skilled bots

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

More skilled bots

Postby 3MR on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:40 pm

So i have been playing Rocket league for about 1 year now, many updates have been announced and the game has improved but only the bots have remained the same, it would be great if bots were more skilled than normal and i think it's going to improve players skills also, i think that when you play with or against someone who is more skilled than you your skill is going to improve, so i request you psyonix to give more skill for bots and more skill levels for them, give the bots the ability to fly and aerial, you can use the technology that fifa have used to copy the movement of players and place it in game so bots play like champions and add more skill levels more than All-Star so players can choose between more skill levels to play against bots, i hope this comes to rocket league one day.
3MR
Supersonic

Steam ID: 3MR

Re: More skilled bots

Postby JacobThePigeon on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:39 pm

I can see this becoming a possibility in the future. But I highly doubt something like this is easy to make, therefore if the bots ever get improved, it won't be anytime soon. At the moment, bots are decent enough for the lower-ranked players within the Rocket League community, whereas the higher-ranked players might prefer a challenge and create unfair 1v4 matches (Or at least I do).

Some may argue that the current bots are "good enough", and therefore improving them might not be a priority for the Developers. Keep in mind developing more advanced bots would be a pain in the ass.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby Skaldy on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:25 am

Unfair 1v4 matches are straightforward, even for average (Gold) players.

The bots need improving but we get banners.
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Region: EU

Postby Rufmeister on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:17 am

Skaldy wrote:Unfair 1v4 matches are straightforward, even for average (Gold) players.

The bots need improving but we get banners.

For me, I only see the great deal of players using the bots to be lower skilled, while higher skilled players typically use online matchmaking as their challenge. For high skilled players who would like to use the bots as a challenge, implementing more skillfull AI would come into play. This would be very difficult to code and implement if they want to have similar traits as human players (i.e ariel hitting).
Rufmeister

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby Bob Fizzle on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:27 pm

At the very least, they need to fix some very obvious bugs in the bots' basic pathfinding ability:

-If the ball is in the corner and the bot is in the goal, the bot will try to drive through the goalpost to get to the ball and get stuck
-Similarly to above, if the bot manages to get partway up the goalpost, it will try to drive forward, only to slip back down, and repeat until it gets bumped or play resets
-If two bots manage to collide in such a way that they are in each others' path (usually head-on), they will both continue to attempt to drive through each other, causing both bots to be stuck until they are hit or play resets
-Bots always driving in a straight line in order to reach the ball, often ramming their own teammate out of the way in the process

These aren't so much pathfinding, but:
-Bots tend to play goalkeeper by driving in reverse. Oftentimes, this results in a rather comical scenario wherein the bot is in a great position to make an easy save, but promptly throws itself in reverse and drives in a wide arc around the ball as it trickles into the goal. I have no idea why the bots can't simply drive forward at the ball to clear it, but I see this so much that I feel like it was intentionally for some reason or other.
-Instead of adjusting their path to pick up boost pads during the course of play, bots will only go out of their way to pick up boost at predefined times. When this happens, the bot will seek out the nearest available boost orb, even if it is at the other end of the field, causing the bot to drive as far away from the play as it possibly could, pick up the boost, and promptly use all of the boost to get back to the play.

Fix these first, and then we can talk about making the bots do more advanced maneuvers. Heck, the bots won't even do half of the things Pysonix teaches players about in the tutorials. Maybe we should start with fixing the basics first.
Bob Fizzle
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Tentacles on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Rocket League Elon Musk bot plz.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Rufmeister on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Tentacles wrote:Rocket League Elon Musk bot plz.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rufmeister

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby G-Lew41 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:37 am

I've asked for improved AI for the bots as well, and got some similar (and understandable) responses. However, I like playing seasons in single player, so while improving the AI might be difficult, I don't think it would be all that difficult to allow season mode with the unfair settings. (2 v 3, 1 v 2, etc.). As is, I go undefeated every season. At least this would present some kind of challenge for the more experienced players who don't always feel like playing online - and having some end-goal like a season.
G-Lew41
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: G-Lew41

Postby JacobThePigeon on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm

G-Lew41 wrote:I like playing seasons in single player, so while improving the AI might be difficult, I don't think it would be all that difficult to allow season mode with the unfair settings. (2 v 3, 1 v 2, etc.). As is, I go undefeated every season. At least this would present some kind of challenge for the more experienced players who don't always feel like playing online - and having some end-goal like a season.

This. Please.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby Galactic Geek on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Why not have AI cars based off of actual players, similar to how the Forza series has drivatars and Killer Instinct has shadows?
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Return to Suggestions