[RocketLeague] Minimum playtime for enter competition

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

[RocketLeague] Minimum playtime for enter competition

Postby DrShadox on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:09 am

Hello , all is in the title , the game should allow enter in compet' only after some playtime , like maybe 100hours or something like that (i mean 100h of playtime , not 100hours for the game started...) , it will (i hope) avoid players who don't know how to play to enter and ruin every game.

Also the playtime must be against Humans ofc , not vs bots.

What do you think about it?
DrShadox
Supersonic

Region: EU

Re: [RocketLeague] Minimum playtime for enter competition

Postby Tentacles on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:21 pm

20 hours. 100 is insane.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby OsoMako on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Bots are probably better than humans at up to 100 hours.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby littlebigleg on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:17 pm

20 hours before joining ranked would practically kill a lot of smurfing off ,i never played ranked until i got about 50 hours in
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby DrShadox on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Im ok for 20h , also if it will kill smurfs too , why not ? i never understand why people use alt account (except for act like they are new but better than other , what i find stupid IMO)

OsoMako wrote:Bots are probably better than humans at up to 100 hours.

And it's why i'm happy when a very bad (or unfair) player leave a game , but in compet you must keep them until the end , and some are realy new about their behavior (ran into the ball when you said "i got it" , or wait even if you say "take it" , taking all boost , spend time to ran into the ball with max speed and things like that).

littlebigleg wrote:20 hours before joining ranked would practically kill a lot of smurfing off ,i never played ranked until i got about 50 hours in

Tbh i don't very like ranking in game and i'm not a competitive players at all , but i'm so tired of players who leave the game after taking 1 goal in a casual match , so sometime i go in ranked only for have a stable team.

sry for my english
DrShadox
Supersonic

Postby zGreenMachine- on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 am

People smurf to help boost up the ranks of their friends. Or because they get bored/stressed being in the top 100 and make a new account to climb back up there (while knocking someone else out in the process).

Having a minimum playtime for new accounts could be a good step towards decreasing smurfing. At least it would discourage a few people. CS:GO has a similar system where you're blocked form ranked until you reach a certain level.
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby N7Mith on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:25 am

I picked up the basics pretty fast. Within 60 hours I was silver 3.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby OsoMako on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:59 pm

N7Mith wrote:

I picked up the basics pretty fast. Within 60 hours I was silver 3.

Bots are probably better than humans at up to 100 hours.
Steam Forum Moderator
OsoMako

Postby Doomstrike on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 am

I think they would need to make a few more tweaks. Instead of crate farming you would see hour farming online in unranked. Or they they would just plug there account on an exibition match and let the clock go. Plus 20 hours is a long time. Unless they made a semi ranked list that worked like ranked it would turn away a lot of people having to play unranked with people hoping in and out like crazy. I would say maybe having some ip restrictions would go a long ways. It wouldn't stop all but most people if you try to smurf and go through a vpn or something to mask your external Ip would be too much work.

You would need a system that bans or prevents afking as a way to run the clock and make it not work offline
Doomstrike
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: Doomstrike
Steam ID: meDoomstrike
Region: Canada West

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:37 am

DrShadox wrote:i never understand why people use alt account

One big reason is to compensate for shortcomings in the matchmaking system.
The matchmaking system can only look at "where you are now", while making matches.

To keep things simple, let's assume a given player only has two friends he plays with regularly, one in Silver, the other in Platinum.
If that player attempts to use a single account, he will likely end up going back and forth, from low-Gold to high_Gold, without ever getting ANY good games.

When he plays with his Silver friend, the friend won't be quite up to playing against Gold players, so they will go on a losing streak, until their combined MMR drops low enough to get them good matches.
When the player then uses that same account to play with his Platinum friend, they will go on a win streak, still not getting any good games until their combined MMR comes back up, at which point the player will start the cycle all over, by going to play with his Silver friend again.

If that player uses two accounts separately, and uses each exclusively with one of his friends, the account he uses with his Silver friend will likely stay low-Gold, while the other will stay high-Gold.
Because there aren't going to be any matches required to move the player from one ranking to another, that player will tend to get good matchups right from the start, regardless of which friend he is playing with, or who he played with last.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby DrShadox on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
DrShadox wrote:i never understand why people use alt account

-snip-

So this results from a lack of effective matchmaking , in this case why Devs didn't try to improve it ? (or maybe they work on it but i didn't find if they give infos about that).

About the main subject , i think they should lock competitive before some hours of playtime , even if it's 10 or 20 hours , and if never it's for a smurf , so go play these requirment before and it's all , i'm a casual player (not even a good player infact) and i've already 380hours , 20hours isn't that much...

Sorry for my english.
DrShadox
Supersonic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:16 pm

DrShadox wrote:So this results from a lack of effective matchmaking , in this case why Devs didn't try to improve it ?

It's not really a lack of effectiveness with the matchmaker though.
The matchmaker is being given faulty information from the client side, when a player uses that single account with multiple teammates of differing skill levels.
All the matchmaker knows, while it's searching for a match for you is your current MMR, and the current MMR of your teammate.

If you alternate playing with someone who lowers your MMR consistently, and somebody who raises it consistently, you'll never be at your "correct" MMR at the start of ANY session you play, which will prevent the matchmaker from giving you a good match until your MMRs are adjusted by winning/losing.
The two ways around that are for Psyonix to create a system that would track teams, independent from their solo MMR in the same queue, and for people to do that themselves by using separate accounts with different teammates.
The logistics that would be required for Psyonix to track every player, playing with every set of teammates they ever play with, would be staggering.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Tentacles on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 pm

I forgot to mention it should be 20 hours of actual game time, not practice or logged in hours.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby JacobThePigeon on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Tentacles wrote:I forgot to mention it should be 20 hours of actual game time, not practice or logged in hours.

If my math is right, isn't that the equivalent of 150+ games? (If each game is an average of 8 minutes long)

Sure it would prevent smurfing, but when I first got Rocket League I hopped straight into competitive, if I had to go through 150 games just to play ranked, I'd consider that a real bummer.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby Tentacles on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:30 am

It would stop a lot of smurfing and help with the negative bronze points problem.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby littlebigleg on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:42 am

JacobThePigeon wrote:
Tentacles wrote:I forgot to mention it should be 20 hours of actual game time, not practice or logged in hours.

If my math is right, isn't that the equivalent of 150+ games? (If each game is an average of 8 minutes long)

Sure it would prevent smurfing, but when I first got Rocket League I hopped straight into competitive, if I had to go through 150 games just to play ranked, I'd consider that a real bummer.

lol my first 50 odd hours of not caring about rank was a happy time in my car football life
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby Bob Fizzle on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:51 pm

While Rocket League is a competitive multiplayer game and I don't agree with restricting new players from playing competitive just because they are inexperienced, I do feel like Psyonix should encourage new players to play more exhibition or season matches before jumping into online play. While the AI is obviously not the pinnacle of great play, I still feel like it is a decent benchmark of sorts. If you can beat the all-star bots, then you are probably good enough to climb out of low bronze and actually enjoy competitive play.
Bob Fizzle
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby OsoMako on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Bob Fizzle wrote:While Rocket League is a competitive multiplayer game and I don't agree with restricting new players from playing competitive just because they are inexperienced, I do feel like Psyonix should encourage new players to play more exhibition or season matches before jumping into online play. While the AI is obviously not the pinnacle of great play, I still feel like it is a decent benchmark of sorts. If you can beat the all-star bots, then you are probably good enough to climb out of low bronze and actually enjoy competitive play.

That's how I started, but only because I didn't want to bring down my teammates. It gave me a nice skill boost into the game so I wasn't just flailing around with everyone else and actually had a reasonable idea of what to do. Also, there are plenty of times wherein I'll do better in a 1v2 with AI than an actual teammate. So there's some perks to knowing how to play with bots. :P
Steam Forum Moderator
OsoMako

Postby G-Lew41 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 am

Sometimes you just have to deal with it. This is an unfair solution to a smurfing problem. The vast majority of new players are legit new players. Pysonix is supposed to try hard to get new players to play the game, and then immediately ban those players from competitive play until they've played x number of hours? It's just a bad idea. I have a question to all those who think this is a good idea :

Did any of you wait 20 hours before joining a competitive match?

New players should be able to buy the game, pop in the disc - and immediately enter a competitive match. Period. Which is what new players can already do. Anything short of this would be a scam and no new players would ever buy the game knowing they couldn't enjoy it the way they want until they put in some arbitrary number of hours. There is no way that would ever happen. If it doesn't cost more to have access to competitive play, then you can't just arbitrarily pick and choose which players have access to it.
G-Lew41
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: G-Lew41

Postby Bob Fizzle on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:10 pm

G-Lew41 wrote:Did any of you wait 20 hours before joining a competitive match?

I did. At least 3 of my friends who I also play with did.
Bob Fizzle
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Next

Return to Suggestions