Incoming: Adjustments to Competitive Matchmaking Bans

Official announcements and news relating to Rocket League.

Incoming: Adjustments to Competitive Matchmaking Bans

Postby Dirkened on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:39 am

Nothing beats the thrill of Competitive play in Rocket League! Whether you’re putting in the time to hit your Rank goal, grinding out Season Reward Level wins, or jumping into high-level play for the first time, you always want a fair experience going into a Competitive match -- and so do we!

Starting today, we’re making some changes to the competitive matchmaking ban system. The goal of these changes is to discourage players from disconnecting from Competitive Playlist matches early; nobody likes to lose, but it’s always important to finish out a match if a forfeit vote fails, no matter what side of the score you’re on.

Currently, players who leave Competitive matches early are subject to a 15-minute ban from Competitive Playlists. Our new system will have seven ban levels, starting with a new, shorter five-minute ban at Level 1. See below for the full breakdown.
  • Level 1: 5 Minutes
  • Level 2: 10 Minutes
  • Level 3: 20 Minutes
  • Level 4: 40 Minutes
  • Level 5: 60 Minutes
  • Level 6: 120 Minutes
  • Level 7: 24 Hours
Once a ban expires you will stay at that ban level for 12 hours, but if you leave another Competitive Playlist match during the same window, you will go up one level. If you don't leave any Competitive matches early during the same 12-hour window, you will go down one level, eventually going back down to Level 0. You’ll still see the same kind of notifications with the new system, so active bans will appear at the bottom of the Playlist window.

If you reach Level 7 (Wow!) and consistently leave Competitive matches before a match concludes, we may take additional actions against your account, including timed or permanent bans from all online matches.

We hope these changes will cut down on the number of players who duck out of Competitive matches early. Who knows, by sticking around until the timer hits 0:00 instead of making for the Main Menu, you might just get a few Reddit-worthy comeback wins under your belt.
Rocket League Fan Ambassador
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Re: Incoming: Adjustments to Competitive Matchmaking Bans

Postby AlexCuse44 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am

We don't talk about reddit here
AlexCuse44
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Postby Pettask on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 pm

When will the season end? And when will we get the post telling us what rewards we're getting this time?
Pettask
Supersonic

PSN ID: Pettask
Region: EU

Postby N7Mith on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:09 am

Awesome! This has been a much needed feature for ages, I'm glad you finally got around to it.

It appears I broke the rep system. Sorry!
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Meowditore on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:04 am

Or you could ban the person and then give the other people who stayed there more points IF they win or just make it where the person that stays doesnt lose any mmr
Meowditore
Acrobatic

PSN ID: meowditore
Steam ID: F2 Lavenza♥
Region: US east

Postby UnknownMaster21 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 am

"Nothing beats the thrill of Competitive play in Rocket League!"

Yeah right... :D Have found out the thrill can be as high as in comp due fun factor and great atmosphere with random guys, because toxicity have dropped in my opinion, at least on casual, where fun still relies.

That would have been required since very beginning, where I was still on ranked.. however, it was great fun to attempt win 1v3. Managed to win once from at least 30 attempts ( lol ). People back then went off easily when it was 2-0 or more, once one guy left, another one followed and I was usually left hearing from opponents, such as: you are wasting our time/kill yourself noob/leave retard/ etc...

HOWEVER, some people did actually LOVE that thing, where losing a game by op 1vs3, there is always one, like me, somewhere not giving up and trying as best as could do. From those kind of praises, it encouraged me to go on, without caring about was it 12-0 or 13-1 or whatever it was.

So, in very short words: attitude counts!
Neo-Tokyo, Starbase ARC, Wastelands...
...Those are reason I STOPPED playing ranked
UnknownMaster21
Acrobatic

Steam ID: UnknownMaster21

Postby JacobThePigeon on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 am

Pettask wrote:When will the season end? And when will we get the post telling us what rewards we're getting this time?

No word on that yet. Stay tuned!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby The_deceased on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Time to level up!
The_deceased
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

PSN ID: The_deceased
Region: (US-E/EU/ME)

Postby WoundedThumbs on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 am

Could you put this in play for non competitive games? Quitting a Rl game of any kind should have a small 5 minute ban. Or instead of 5 minutes how bout you can't start
A new game until the game you quit is over. That seams fair. Or a forfit option so you could just restart with out having to play with bots for the remainder of a quilters game
WoundedThumbs
Acrobatic

PSN ID: Woundedthumbs
Region: Both

Postby JacobThePigeon on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:07 pm

WoundedThumbs wrote:Could you put this in play for non competitive games? Quitting a Rl game of any kind should have a small 5 minute ban. Or instead of 5 minutes how bout you can't start
A new game until the game you quit is over. That seams fair. Or a forfit option so you could just restart with out having to play with bots for the remainder of a quilters game

Well, that would defeat the purpose of 'casual' playlists, no?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby PocketFullOfSunshine on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:30 pm

"Hey Jim, let's figure out how to fix the ranking system in Rocket League. Or maybe we can fixes some of the problems that our customers are listing on the forums?"
"I have a better idea! Let's make a more complex system where we can ban more players so they can't play our game anymore!"

Seriously guys, get your heads out of your assess. Look at all of these issues that are listed in the forum and act on it instead of coming up with ways to ban your fanbase.
PocketFullOfSunshine
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby AlexCuse44 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 pm

PocketFullOfSunshine wrote:"Hey Jim, let's figure out how to fix the ranking system in Rocket League. Or maybe we can fixes some of the problems that our customers are listing on the forums?"
"I have a better idea! Let's make a more complex system where we can ban more players so they can't play our game anymore!"

Seriously guys, get your heads out of your assess. Look at all of these issues that are listed in the forum and act on it instead of coming up with ways to ban your fanbase.

Fucking retards....

You're right, they shouldn't ban players the leave competive matches repeatedly. How silly of them!
AlexCuse44
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Postby disc0 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:30 am

I agree with changing the current system, but Iam not sure the new one is polished yet..

My problem with this new system is that players dont play the same equal amount of time..

Lets say...
PLAYER A
plays around 2 or 3 games per day, leaves games whenever he wants, (will always be level 0)

PLAYER B
plays way more lets say... 20 games a day, gets disconnected twice, has to leave for unexpected (not game related) reasons. (will build up levels quickly)

The solution to player B will probably be.. buy more copies of rocket league, or play less.

That is my concerns about the new systeam, what you guys think?
disc0
Acrobatic

Steam ID: Bruce
Region: Eu

Postby Kovash on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 am

disc0 wrote:20 games a day, gets disconnected twice

That's 10% deco, I ain't play any ranked game with this shit.
Kovash
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Kovash

Postby disc0 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 am

After giving it some thought I think I came up with an alternative solution to my own problem posted before,

what if instead of the 12 hour window, players would have a x amount of games to play to lower ban level...

Example

player A leaves for some reason, now he has to play 40 games without leaving the game to lower the level, if they break that rule they go up in levels.
disc0
Acrobatic

Steam ID: Bruce
Region: Eu

Postby Kovash on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:23 am

I like this idea a lot. It makes total sense to decrease the ban level after said amount of games instead of hours.
Kovash
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Kovash

Postby zGreenMachine- on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:44 pm

PocketFullOfSunshine wrote:"Hey Jim, let's figure out how to fix the ranking system in Rocket League. Or maybe we can fixes some of the problems that our customers are listing on the forums?"

If the game is so horrendously broken and you seem to despise every single aspect of it...
why are you here? Go play something you actually enjoy. You know, the whole point of gaming. Having fun.
#̶r̶o̶a̶d̶t̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶a̶c̶l̶e̶s̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶r̶e̶p̶
#roadtonorep ?
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby PocketFullOfSunshine on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:25 pm

zGreenMachine- wrote:

If the game is so horrendously broken and you seem to despise every single aspect of it...
why are you here? Go play something you actually enjoy. You know, the whole point of gaming. Having fun.

I liked this game a lot, and I want to see it be great again. Ever heard of "if you love something, you'd better fight for it"? Try not to be so condescending and ignorant :cheesygrin:
PocketFullOfSunshine
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Desirsar on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:10 pm

I would say FINALLY!, but wow. Just wow. They get around to using what I've been hounding them about for two years, and they still manage to Psyonix it up.

Needs to be 15 for the first ban, and scale linearly using the same rate you've posted. 15, 30, 60, 120, 180, 360, and three days.

Dirkened wrote:but it’s always important to finish out a match if a forfeit vote fails, no matter what side of the score you’re on.

Does that mean you'll take a closer look at player reports for people who stop playing properly when their forfeit vote fails, and hand out appropriately harsh bans? (What am I saying? Did I forget who I'm talking about? They'll probably still to 15 minute bans and they'll hand them out at the time the report it viewed, meaning the offender will be offline, and the ban will run out before they notice it.) Seriously, though, those type of players are a FAR bigger problem than people who just leave.
Desirsar
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Desirsar
Region: US

Postby N7Mith on Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Desirsar wrote:I would say FINALLY!, but wow. Just wow. They get around to using what I've been hounding them about for two years, and they still manage to Psyonix it up.

Needs to be 15 for the first ban, and scale linearly using the same rate you've posted. 15, 30, 60, 120, 180, 360, and three days.

Dirkened wrote:but it’s always important to finish out a match if a forfeit vote fails, no matter what side of the score you’re on.

Does that mean you'll take a closer look at player reports for people who stop playing properly when their forfeit vote fails, and hand out appropriately harsh bans? (What am I saying? Did I forget who I'm talking about? They'll probably still to 15 minute bans and they'll hand them out at the time the report it viewed, meaning the offender will be offline, and the ban will run out before they notice it.) Seriously, though, those type of players are a FAR bigger problem than people who just leave.

First of all linear would be 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 etc. Exponential is a multiplicative like 15, 30, 60, 120 etc.
Secondly bans always activate on next login, and bans from reports start at 24h.
Thirdly: good question, I hope these reports get some priority as well.

It appears I broke the rep system. Sorry!
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Next

Return to Official Messages