New Ban Practices and Season 4 Rewards Update

Official announcements and news relating to Rocket League.

New Ban Practices and Season 4 Rewards Update

Postby Dirkened on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 am

In the two years since Rocket League launched in July of 2015, our community has grown to an astounding 34 million players worldwide. As our community grows larger still, so too does the need to ensure that Rocket League is a consistently-safe, harassment-free place where players of all ages and backgrounds can come together and execute the sweetest of aerial goals and backflip saves. The cornerstone of addressing in-game harassment is our 'Player Mute' and 'Report' systems, which can be accessed from the in-game menu mid-match.

This week, we’re building on our Player Report system by adding a new layer of automation to the report-ban process. This automation, simply called the 'Language Ban' system, will automatically ban players from online matches when certain words -- racial slurs, for example -- are seen in reports filed by our players.

While we have an initial list of over 20 words and variants, this list (which we will not be making public) will continue to evolve over time, and include words and phrases from multiple languages. Each word has its own threshold, and once a threshold for any word has been reached, that player will be automatically subject to a ban. These bans will typically start at 24 hours, then escalate to 72 hours, one week, and finally, a permanent ban.

Of the thousands of reports we receive every day, the majority are tied to in-game abuse and harassment -- typically in the form of abusive language. This new Language Ban system will help us address reports quickly and precisely while we also continue our usual monitoring of Reddit and other social channels for feedback.

We will organically update our ban policies and system logic as time goes on, of course, but the Rocket League community is the most important element of them all. So, if you see another player using abusive language during your match, please report them, mute them, and let us take care of the rest.

Update on Abuse and Season 4 Rewards
Just as we did at the of Competitive Season 3, we have also denied Season 4 Rewards to several hundreds of players at the end of Competitive Season 4. When the Reward Trails were issued last month, players who were found abusing the matchmaking system to increase their rank (such as gaming the system to force a win or a loss, etc), were not rewarded for their actions.

We will continue to monitor match results and matchmaking abuse throughout Competitive Season 5.
Rocket League Fan Ambassador
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Re: New Ban Practices and Season 4 Rewards Update

Postby JacobThePigeon on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:27 pm

What exactly does matchmaking abuse entail? I'm assuming paying players of a higher rank to use your account and boost it for you.

Other than that, awesome.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 pm

IIRC correctly, mm abuse is stuff like boosting, whether that is paid (someone else on account) and a really quick rise in multiple ranks, or playing with someone much lower rank (normally a smurf) to game the system and lower your opponents ranks (because Psyonix bad mm lets that happen) and smurfing in general.

I wouldn't worry about it. Psyonix reset a few token accounts to say "we are doing something" and that's it. I've seen tons of smurfs with the champion wheels and other season rewards. There's youtubers who have played with smurf accounts to be boosted and still got rewards/titles.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby Shmootz on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 pm

I look forward to seeing a ban practice taking place, about time we get rid of some of the toxic individuals who ruin the experience of Rocket League.
Shmootz
Acrobatic

PSN ID: Shmootzy
Region: US

Postby E_M_E_T on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 pm

By MM abuse, they are almost definitely referring to their old way of 'preventing' boosting. If you played a certain number or percentage of games with players who were too far from your rank, then you were not given a reward. It wouldn't be ethical to punish someone for being good at the game, regardless of how "new" the account is. Those kinds of accounts (smurfs) don't have a significant effect on the game, because they go back to where they belong rather quickly. So, smurfs who solo queued didn't get punished, which makes enough sense to me.

Anyways, if you got your reward, that means you got it forever. We already knew about this a long time ago.

I'm also glad to see more automation being added to the report/ban system. Obviously, they're not going all PG. I think Psyonix isn't dumb enough to ban people for swearing. They're going after words that are objectively negative no matter the context in which they are spoken. I'd bet that more than half of that list is just racial slurs.
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby Soccer360 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:07 am

Finally
Soccer360
Supersonic

PSN ID: Soccer-Flaco_360

Postby CaptainWiseGuy on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:38 am

I really don't know how this happened but this morning I saw that an update had come out so I decide to hop on my computer to check it out. Also at this point I haven't been on Rocket League in around a week. So I get on open steam and do the update and as Rocket League is loading up it says that I have already been 24 hour banned even though I haven't been on the game. So if someone can let me know if this is and error or if this was meant to happen it would be really appreciated.
CaptainWiseGuy
Supersonic

Steam ID: CaptainWiseGuy

Postby chucklepie on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:14 am

Let's just hope it takes context of words in account rather than just a regex. I've had quite a few normal words starred out. For example what if you're talking about car colours or a black decal? However, most toxic players do not use words as they are spelled, they add spaces or obfuscate the words slightly, so how will that work?
chucklepie
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby midnightgreen20 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:30 am

People are praising this as they believe it will get rid of a lot of the toxicity in ranked. That is never going away any time soon with the way the game is currently set up. If that's what they care about, they would create player lobbies which can have a much more drastic effect on this.
midnightgreen20
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midnightgreen20
Region: United States

Postby NoOne-NBA on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:40 am

chucklepie wrote:Let's just hope it takes context of words in account rather than just a regex. I've had quite a few normal words starred out. For example what if you're talking about car colours or a black decal? However, most toxic players do not use words as they are spelled, they add spaces or obfuscate the words slightly, so how will that work?

Certain words there is no acceptable context for.
Those are the ones Psyonix is going after first.

In your example, "black" is a word that will likely never make it onto the auto-censor list because there are many acceptable uses of that word.
That doesn't mean people can't report another player for using that same word in an unacceptable context, in which case that player may get banned, if enough reports are filed against them.
As for the censor bypassing alterations, it looks like Psyonix is relying on the community to report those people, and will enhance their dictionary accordingly, as time goes on.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:41 am

Shit communites are entirely the devs fault really. Not just Psyonix, but in general.

The only reason we have to rely on reports and auto censors are because devs took control away from the comunity. Didn't need auto censors and reports back in the day when people could run their own dedicated servers. Some idiot contiunally mouthing off, admin lays down the ban hammer.

Find a decent community server you like for whatever reason (map rotation, community, general atmosphere of the server), stick with it, all good. Then consoles came along and ruined it all with p2p, mm and everyone has to play with everyone because "I want to play with my friend half a world away, I have a good connection though" nonsense because apparently people don't understand latency and think speed=god.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby Tentacles on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Can we get a list of bannable words? like is Damn going to get us banned, can we use medical names for body parts? The suspense is kiling me.
Tentacles
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Tentacles

Postby midnightgreen20 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:Shit communites are entirely the devs fault really. Not just Psyonix, but in general.

The only reason we have to rely on reports and auto censors are because devs took control away from the comunity. Didn't need auto censors and reports back in the day when people could run their own dedicated servers. Some idiot contiunally mouthing off, admin lays down the ban hammer.

Find a decent community server you like for whatever reason (map rotation, community, general atmosphere of the server), stick with it, all good. Then consoles came along and ruined it all with p2p, mm and everyone has to play with everyone because "I want to play with my friend half a world away, I have a good connection though" nonsense because apparently people don't understand latency and think speed=god.

Pretty much this. It's surprising that people don't ask to have more control over things in the game. Constantly asking people to adjust algorithms will never net a completely different result. It's been done for years and hasn't shown anything drastically different since it was first implemented.
midnightgreen20
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midnightgreen20

Postby N7Mith on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:59 am

Muting team only would go a long way to avoid toxicity as well. 90% of the trashtalk is directed at teammates.
:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Extraordinarily Talkative

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Funnybear on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:50 am

As someone who is currently serving his third stretch in purgatory after using words that most grown ups are ok with in a contextual and relevant way (if a little virulent at times, but hey, certain team mates can be extremely frustrating) a word listing would be rather helpful. And why is frustrated team talk being punished whilst selfish and arrogant playstyles go by without comment? Everyone is slagging off trashtalk and rage, and whilst I get it's offensive and upsetting when there is no reason for it, but in a ranked competitive game mode, surely a little licence can be used here?

If my conversation escalates over the period of the game from 'dude, please. Don't noob us out the game, I'm trying to play with you here' too 'For gods sake dude, calm your wheel nuts, stop ball chasing' too further usage of words that probably won't get through THIS profanity filter, why am I the one who's getting penalised? If I call out a padded account, I get banned. If I call out a ball chasing noob. I get banned. If I start swearing at a blatant troll and de-ranker, I get banned. You got it wrong Psyonix. If you want a swear box then make a 'mature' league and an 'immature' league. All those with a credit card say Aye!

Well, as I'm out the game for about a week anyway, it's time to find a new addiction and hopefully will have forgotten all about Rocket League and it's rather shoddy administration.

Ciao for now. XX.
Funnybear
Supersonic

Postby Funnybear on Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:06 am

You have to be over 18 to agree to the eula. Just sayin'.
Funnybear
Supersonic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:39 am

Funnybear wrote:why am I the one who's getting penalised?

You're getting banned because you can't seem to grasp the concept of "shut the **** up and play".

Telling someone how badly they suck will NEVER get them to play better.
It will just tilt them even farther, which is the exact opposite of what you are trying to accomplish by belittling them in the first place.

Report the people who you feel are initiating the toxicity, then mute them, and trust that the system currently banning you regularly will eventually filter them out for you.
NoOne-NBA

Postby N7Mith on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:39 am

Funnybear wrote:You have to be over 18 to agree to the eula. Just sayin'.

Yes, you have to be an adult. Start acting like one.
:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Funnybear on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:28 am

N7Mith wrote:
Funnybear wrote:You have to be over 18 to agree to the eula. Just sayin'.

Yes, you have to be an adult. Start acting like one.

I have smeared myself enough across this forum now. I think I have tried to get a valid point across, arguable using applicable insults are an 'adult thing too do.

If your responsible grown up hasnt explained to you how to protect yourself against people like me who obviously is suffering from a severe lack of self control when trying to get the best gaming out of an hour or two free time then I am fighting a losing battle. Cheers for the constructive missing of points.
Funnybear
Supersonic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 am

Funnybear wrote:If your responsible grown up hasnt explained to you how to protect yourself against people like me who obviously is suffering from a severe lack of self control when trying to get the best gaming out of an hour or two free time then I am fighting a losing battle.

Thinking that belittling everyone will improve your experience is the losing battle.
It will only give you more games with tilted teammates, over the long run.

I'm a very firm believer that you find what you're looking for in this game.
If you're looking for a bunch of incompetent teammates, you'll find them.
You can even make your own, with the comments you make to them.
NoOne-NBA

Next

Return to Official Messages