Changes Coming for Competitive Season 5

Official announcements and news relating to Rocket League.

Changes Coming for Competitive Season 5

Postby Dirkened on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Rocket League’s Competitive Season 5 will commence with the release of our Anniversary Update on July 5th, and we’re making a few changes that we want to share with you guys ahead of time.

Contrary to the transition between previous Competitive Seasons, there will be no Competitive Skill reset for Season 5. Your ranks will carry over from Season 4 into Season 5. While we recognize some players look forward to starting over each season, the downside of doing a reset can be significant. Match quality can be poor for several weeks after a season ends as players recalibrate to their actual skill ranking. With seasons happening more frequently, we aren’t comfortable creating so much matchmaking instability every few months.

SEASON REWARD LEVEL
For Season 5, we are introducing a concept called Season Reward Level that is independent from your matchmaking rank. Your Reward Level starts at Unranked, and each win earns you progress towards the next level. Each Reward Level requires 20 wins to unlock, and they are sequential - you unlock Silver rewards after Bronze, Gold after Silver, and so on. Losing a match will not count against your Season Reward Level in any way, even if the loss causes you to drop a Tier or Division.

Wins only count toward your Season Reward Level if you’re playing at or above that level’s Skill Tier. For example, you can progress towards unlocking Bronze rewards by playing at Bronze tier or higher. But a Gold player who has unlocked Gold Season Rewards cannot yet unlock Platinum Season Rewards.

FUTURE SEASONS
Our primary goal going forward is to provide new goals for players to accomplish each Competitive Season without the chaos of a skill reset. If this first version of the Season Reward Level doesn’t accomplish those goals, we’ll adjust in future Competitive Seasons.

We’re always looking to improve on existing systems, and Competitive Seasons are no exception. We look forward to your feedback about your experiences with Competitive Season 5!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I lose Season Reward Levels if I lose matches or drop a Skill tier?

No, you will not lose progress towards your Season Rewards. Losses do not subtract from your win total, and your progress will be stored even if you get demoted.

How do different playlists interact with the Season Reward Level?

You can earn wins towards leveling up from any Competitive Playlist. However, you still only earn Wins for matches of sufficient rank. If your 2v2 rank is Platinum and your 3v3 rank is Silver, 3v3 wins will only count towards Silver Reward Level and below.

When are Season Rewards given out?

For Season 5, they will still be awarded at the end of the season. In future seasons, we hope to have them be awarded immediately upon unlocking a Reward Level.

How long will Season 5 last

Similar to Season 4, we are planning for Season 5 to last 3 to 4 months.
Rocket League Fan Ambassador
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Re: Changes Coming for Competitive Season 5

Postby Meowditore on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Tbh this is the most confusing season so far.. "If your 2v2 rank is Platinum and your 3v3 rank is Silver, 3v3 wins will only count towards Silver Reward Level and below." kinda confused on what this means? i mean does it really matter if your 3v3 is lower ? you would still end up getting platinum rewards at the end of season 5 anyways right? and what's up with the your ranking rewards start at unranked? it says that our ranks from season 4 will carry over so will there no longer be placement games and then we get placed in our rank we had last season? or what? makes no sense and then this *20* win to next reward how does that work? will that mean to get the rewards we are forced to have *win* streaks to hope to even achieve our ranks rewards?
Meowditore
Acrobatic

PSN ID: meowditore
Steam ID: F2 Lavenza♥
Region: US east

Postby ChillDon1 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 pm

i am quitting because there's no reset this season, am stuck in silver 3 with shit team mates that i can't carry and its so enraging. :roll: :roll:
ChillDon1
Supersonic

Steam ID: Don
Region: EU

Postby Tentacles on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Dirkened wrote:

While we recognize some players look forward to starting over each season, the downside of doing a reset can be significant. Match quality can be poor for several weeks after a season ends as players recalibrate to their actual skill ranking. With seasons happening more frequently, we aren’t comfortable creating so much matchmaking instability every few months.

But matchmaking already sucks. It can't get any worse.

Dirkened wrote:

We’re always looking to improve on existing systems,

Maybe start with servers(30 tick rate is not enough for ranked) and matchmaking(forced curves = forced ranks) Followed by fixing #feelsbackflip. Besides that looks great, excited to play(provided I can, with the crazy lag myself and many others get).
Last edited by Tentacles on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby ChowTownVI on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:39 pm

Looking forward to this update, and hopefully people that play competitive for the rewards after grinding to rank up aren't screwed over :?
ChowTownVI
Acrobatic

GamerTag: ChowTownVI

Postby steblood on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:32 am

What is the point in this?

You give the rewards for getting your highest rank achieved anyway....

This will just give people more reason to boost/get boosted as they now, the rank actually means Nada.

It's exactly the same as the current rank system. This is like call of duty allowing people good accuracy without using ads to reach out to this shit community.

It's like saying, I know some are better than others but, everybody gets a badge.

I keep putting my money and time into this game... and all you do is keep ignoring the fact of boosting and players getting the rewards and ranks without actually working for it themselves.

Overall, it'll spoil match quality for the average players in the higher ranks. The people who've been boosted will need to be carried and you can't just keep do No that consistently when they want to be a part of the game too.

I'm not saying the above is fact, it's opinion. If you would like to show me how I'm only seeing tunnel vision, please I'm open to critiscism.
Motherboard: X99-UD4 | CPU: i7-5820K OC @ 4.2GHz | RAM: 16GB DDR4-2133 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1080 8GB | SSD: OCZ 240GB | HDD: 2TB | PSU: XFX 850w | Logitech Orion Spark G910 | Logitech G700s | Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum
steblood
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: steblood
Steam ID: steblood

Postby ChillDon1 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:38 am

at least do this season reset then tell players that there's no reset in next season.i was plat and lost it because i didn't care about this season anymore and now am silver 3 and can't carry. its just tragic and so enraging that am boiling rn :( :x
ChillDon1
Supersonic

Postby Tristan12 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:34 am

ChillDon1 wrote:at least do this season reset then tell players that there's no reset in next season.i was plat and lost it because i didn't care about this season anymore and now am silver 3 and can't carry. its just tragic and so enraging that am boiling rn :( :x

So let me summarize this to make sure viewers can understand you ...for the purpose of this post, we'll even pretend that your story is in any way accurate. :)

You dropped all the way from platinum (800-1023) down to silver (380-604), a process that involves losing at the very least 300-400 rank points...a rather impressive feat. This means that you decided to lose over 50 games, and that's even if your teammates weren't able to carry you to a win even once. Realistically, you had to be so immature as to give your teammates over one hundred losses. One hundred games, your teammates left the match feeling like they got screwed out of a teammate who cares. One hundred games is equivalent to somewhere around 800 minutes...800 minutes that your teammates didn't enjoy their game because you couldn't be bothered to try. Not to mention, this occurred at the time when people cared about rank the most...when one extra loss could determine if they met their goal for the season or not. With your immaturity you might have taken a child's chance to get the reward they've been working towards all season...now gone.

But even knowing that it was your immaturity and lack of respect for the duty a teammate has to participate in the match, you have the audacity to say it is your teammate's fault?!?! The fact that you can't "carry" your teammates against teammates of the same freaking level means that it is Psyonix's fault for not giving you a get-out-of-jail-free card? People like you are the only reason that I am a fan of this new system. Act like a freaking adult, and the system will now treat you as one.
Tristan12
Supersonic

Region: United States

Postby ChillDon1 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:36 am

Tristan12 wrote:
ChillDon1 wrote:at least do this season reset then tell players that there's no reset in next season.i was plat and lost it because i didn't care about this season anymore and now am silver 3 and can't carry. its just tragic and so enraging that am boiling rn :( :x

So let me summarize this to make sure viewers can understand you ...for the purpose of this post, we'll even pretend that your story is in any way accurate. :)

You dropped all the way from platinum (800-1023) down to silver (380-604), a process that involves losing at the very least 300-400 rank points...a rather impressive feat. This means that you decided to lose over 50 games, and that's even if your teammates weren't able to carry you to a win even once. Realistically, you had to be so immature as to give your teammates over one hundred losses. One hundred games, your teammates left the match feeling like they got screwed out of a teammate who cares. One hundred games is equivalent to somewhere around 800 minutes...800 minutes that your teammates didn't enjoy their game because you couldn't be bothered to try. Not to mention, this occurred at the time when people cared about rank the most...when one extra loss could determine if they met their goal for the season or not. With your immaturity you might have taken a child's chance to get the reward they've been working towards all season...now gone.

But even knowing that it was your immaturity and lack of respect for the duty a teammate has to participate in the match, you have the audacity to say it is your teammate's fault?!?! The fact that you can't "carry" your teammates against teammates of the same freaking level means that it is Psyonix's fault for not giving you a get-out-of-jail-free card? People like you are the only reason that I am a fan of this new system. Act like a freaking adult, and the system will now treat you as one.

so you're assuming that i was carried all the way to plat then just lose all the way to silver?
and people quitting games because of me?!!?! what are you talking about, you're talking like you've never played rocket league. people quit for no reason and abandon matches and if they quit they would start quitting at 1-0 at most times. as well as i am playing 3's so don't assume they are quitting because of me for no reason.
you're assuming that am toxic for no reason and that's just dumb.
"this season was no fun at all" is what 50% of the community is saying because its so hard. people who had a blue rank is playing at silver ranks is just mind blowing.
ChillDon1
Supersonic

Postby RLTryhard14 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:06 am

I honestly hate this new update i didnt try and got demoted by 2 ranks i went from platinum to silver thinking "hey there will be a reset ,no worries." I knew this update was to good to be true psyonix please fix this because there is also plenty of other people that also dont like this update to, just look at the comments in the camping rushers rank reset video. Im disgusted.
RLTryhard14
Supersonic

GamerTag: TwistedxComplex

Postby ChillDon1 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 am

RLTryhard14 wrote:I honestly hate this new update i didnt try and got demoted by 2 ranks i went from platinum to silver thinking "hey there will be a reset ,no worries." I knew this update was to good to be true psyonix please fix this because there is also plenty of other people that also dont like this update to, just look at the comments in the camping rushers rank reset video. Im disgusted.

the same story as me, check my comments up.
this update is gonna kill my fun at least...
ChillDon1
Supersonic

Postby JacobThePigeon on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Read up on this post and it looks like there's a riot going on here..

Anwho, does this mean that even if I don't get to champ by July 4th I still get the rewards by ranking up my Rewards level? Or are they completely new rewards.

I'm 1 division away from champ man... So close..
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby ChillDon1 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:10 pm

JacobThePigeon wrote:Read up on this post and it looks like there's a riot going on here..

Anwho, does this mean that even if I don't get to champ by July 4th I still get the rewards by ranking up my Rewards level? Or are they completely new rewards.

I'm 1 division away from champ man... So close..

you still have some days to try and get it. Good luck man :D
it is for me at least xD am hating my life because this system.
trying so hard to get out of silver but its hard when you carry a game and lose the next one when you still trying you're hardest but a team-mate misses a shot and they score on you.
played for more than 6 hours and still the same rank and i count my self a plat 1 but still a silver.
ChillDon1
Supersonic

Postby littlebigleg on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:10 pm

silver is easy to get out of,and im nowhere near getting to platinum
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby ChillDon1 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:47 pm

littlebigleg wrote:silver is easy to get out of,and i'm nowhere near getting to platinum

try to get out of silver when you're team mates score own goals and ff and miss shots every game, and the opponents get's better when you win once. i just can't take any more of this shit. i just lost a game 5-4 when my team mates abandoned the match after 1 minute of playing because they missed an open save. and you tell me it's easy. am a plat player not a god to be able to win with these kinda of situations happening to me every 2 games. i want the reset so bad just to be able to see my team mates pass or leave the ball using they're experience. i just can't play rocket league any more, its not fun like this.
ChillDon1
Supersonic

Postby littlebigleg on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:01 pm

ChillDon1 wrote:
littlebigleg wrote:silver is easy to get out of,and i'm nowhere near getting to platinum

try to get out of silver when you're team mates score own goals and ff and miss shots every game, and the opponents get's better when you win once. i just can't take any more of this shit. i just lost a game 5-4 when my team mates abandoned the match after 1 minute of playing because they missed an open save. and you tell me it's easy. am a plat player not a god to be able to win with these kinda of situations happening to me every 2 games. i want the reset so bad just to be able to see my team mates pass or leave the ball using they're experience. i just can't play rocket league any more, its not fun like this.

ye all these things suck,but they happen to all of us without exception.you have good sessions and bad .we are all in the exact same ranking system,im gold i can handle it better than silver a bronze players,platinum and up handle it better than me.we are all in the same boat
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby MeachAF on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:37 pm

First and foremost, Psyonix devs if you are reading these for first impression feedback, I want to be the one to remind you that people will more actively come to forums to complain than to show gratitude. First impression for me is I'm excited for something new. As someone who has never hit Champ but comes close the last two seasons I am afraid of the new rewards system because I am guessing, correct me if I'm wrong, that the 20 win system is the only way to get the season 5 rewards for each tier. This means that not only do I have to bust my buns to get to Champ, but then I have to earn 20 wins in that rank without falling back out (which happens naturally at one's peak rank). That being said, I have nothing bad to say about any of the rest of it. People complaining about there being no reset blows my mind, as this means they will continue playing the people they should be playing with at the moment, no lesser, no higher(whether they want to admit it or not). Not sure if any algorithm is being changed trying to counter smurfing, boosting, or to do with win streak, lose streak MMR but more info will come with time and either way, I'm going to continue to love playing this game (can you believe it is $20? I bought on steam and PSN even though I got free with PS plus way back just to support). Last thing, RICK AND MORTY HYPE! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub, everyone. :banaride:
MeachAF
Supersonic

PSN ID: TheFattyDaddy5
Region: US

Postby OsoMako on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:23 pm

This seems reasonable to me. For those of you who don't get it, they're saying that ...

Your MMR carries over to next season. Your rewards for progressing through the ranks is tracked for that season. It's not like you get 400 wins and have maximum season level. You have to win 20 games at Champion to attain the highest season rank. Assuming that there's not an extra level at Grand Champion that is.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby AlexCuse44 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:48 pm

If you were in plat and dropped to silver and can't get back up then you didn't deserve to be anywhere near plat. Don't act like that's mm's fault.
AlexCuse44
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Postby thenightmare12 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 am

WTF Psyonix ? cut this BS please. FFS.
thenightmare12
Acrobatic

Steam ID: TheNightmareXII