Competitive Rank Recalibration

Official announcements and news relating to Rocket League.

Competitive Rank Recalibration

Postby Psyonix-Devin on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:53 pm

We just deployed a hotfix that adjusts how Rocket League’s Competitive Skill Tiers are assigned to players and wanted to give you all some more information on what's changing.

SKILL DISTRIBUTION
Our Skill Tiers - Prospect, Challenger, Star, and Champion - are calibrated to reflect the overall distribution of player skills for the entire population of Rocket League. Like in many other games, this ends up looking a lot like a bell curve / normal distribution over time. In short, that means a lot of players are “average” and the further you get from average skill, the fewer players exist to fit that criteria. This essentially means you see a whole lot of Challenger I players, and not so many Grand Champions overall.

Since the skill reset at the start of Season 3, all four competitive playlists have settled into normal distributions over time, but on a slightly different scale than in Seasons 1 and 2. This isn't a bad thing in general, but it does mean that our old thresholds for deciding who gets promoted to Rising Star, Super Champion, etc. could be balanced a little better for the current season.

ADJUSTING TIERS
We just deployed two changes to address this and better distribute the active competitive player-base across the Skill Tiers:

Skill Tier thresholds have been lowered to include more players in the Star and Champion tiers.
Skill Tier Thresholds are now configured differently based on which mode you’re playing. The skill curve for 1v1 looks a little different than 3v3, for instance. This means Doubles now has different criteria for reaching Grand Champion than Solo Standard does. Each playlist should see similar percentages of players reach Champion tier and above. Because there are more total players playing Doubles, you’ll see more Doubles Grand Champions overall.
In terms of how this will affect your personal rankings: most players at Challenger and above will see themselves gain anywhere from ½ to 2 skill tiers. For instance, a Rising Star in Doubles might now be considered a Shooting Star or a low-division All-Star. Prospect-ranked players will move less so -- from no change to roughly half a rank.

Your ranks are not automatically updated, but winning matches will quickly calibrate you to the correct new rankings. Listed below, are some visuals of the overall Skill Distribution for Competitive Doubles for Season 3, before and after the changes.

BEFORE

AFTER

As always, we'll continue to keep an eye on Competitive rankings and their related systems. See you again next time!
Psyonix-Devin
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Re: Competitive Rank Recalibration

Postby Voltio on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:09 pm

No wonder why my friend jumped from challenger elite div 4 to rising star div 5 in just one game
Voltio
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Voltio
Region: US West

Postby Meowditore on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:15 pm

Voltio wrote:No wonder why my friend jumped from challenger elite div 4 to rising star div 5 in just one game

damn your dude is lucky as shit then lol.. i was at challenger 2 div 4 and jumped to challenger elite div 5 in about 3-5 games i think hopefully i can hit rising star tomorrow
Meowditore
Acrobatic

PSN ID: meowditore
Steam ID: F2 Lavenza♥
Region: US east

Postby DeaZeR on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:42 am

i like the new system, but we have to win the first 1-3 games for rank up otherwise we will get any rank between it with divi 2-4 :/
ImagePS4
ImagePC
DeaZeR
Acrobatic

PSN ID: D199687550H
Steam ID: forget :|
Region: Germany / Europa

Postby AlexCuse44 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:49 pm

It would be awesome if you guys could release a few more of those charts. Really curious of what it was and is now for other playlists. ::gofysho::
AlexCuse44
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Postby Burung on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:19 am

I'm a rising star!
Burung
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: BurungBulbul
Region: EU

Postby acme420 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:49 am

i went from prospect elite5 to prospect elite5 in 5 games i won in a row. then 5 more games later i was still elite5. so i finally looked through my friends list to see who i could find to play with me. an unranked and a prospect3. ok whatevs. i carried them through 3-5 more games and i finally got to challenger 1. a few more games and somehow i carried both my teammates to challenger...how sway?
acme420
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: ĜơƋƨ[ƝǢκέƉ]Ɗɐɗ roflc
Region: United States

Postby StubbornPuppet on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:33 am

acme420 wrote:i went from prospect elite5 to prospect elite5 in 5 games i won in a row. then 5 more games later i was still elite5. so i finally looked through my friends list to see who i could find to play with me. an unranked and a prospect3. ok whatevs. i carried them through 3-5 more games and i finally got to challenger 1. a few more games and somehow i carried both my teammates to challenger...how sway?

It is pretty weird, honestly. The funny part for me is that every third win, I get a promotion... to the exact same division I'm already in. It never goes down a division for there to be a reason for the promotion, it just keeps repeating the same promotion. It's actually an impressive and amusing glitch.
I'M OUT. The decision to remove Neo Tokyo (and all the implications that holds for the future of this game) and start putting new cars inside crates... NOPE. See you somewhere else.
StubbornPuppet
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: StubbornPuppet
Steam ID: StubbornPuppet
Region: PC - US

Postby CobraPlays16 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 pm

Sure you recalibrated it ever since I was in Challenger Elite in Solo Duel I never go up like I'm supposed to it takes like 5 games in a row just to rank up but if I loose 1 game I go down its so dumb they need to fix this how u don't rank up
CobraPlays16
Supersonic

Postby jiegonator on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:12 pm

Those glitches are unfortunate.

I think i am dead center at the sweet spot of case scenarios that psyonix devs thought of for their ranking algorithms. Because at the tracker it said i was part of the top 8% for wins (i guess compared to the total population of RL players?). And the chart puts me at RS. And now i'm right around at RS at the modes i usually play at.
jiegonator
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: jiegonator
Region: No Idea. Steam

Postby CobraPlays16 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:06 am

Fix this shit I go down a division ever game I lose but have to win 3 games to go up wtf is this shit
CobraPlays16
Supersonic

Postby UP 0N MARS on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:16 pm

For some reason i'm ranking up really slow, ill divison up once after winning 3 games in a row, win another and not divison up but lose once and division down. It makes no sense
UP 0N MARS
Supersonic

GamerTag: UP 0N MARS
Region: US West

Postby Petoskey97 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:56 am

Best update ever.
Psyonix Support - Mega Help Thread - Thanks for using the forums! - Xbox Ambassador
Petoskey97
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

GamerTag: Petoskey97
Region: US

Return to Official Messages