Rocket League Rumble in September

Official announcements and news relating to Rocket League.

Rocket League Rumble in September

Postby Psyonix-Kyle on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:02 pm

Earlier today we took the stage on the final day of the Rocket League Championship Series final to officially debut a brand new mode scheduled for release next month, Rocket League Rumble!

A FREE game mode to be included with our next update in September, Rocket League Rumble is an epic battle royale-style addition that comes stacked with randomized power-ups. Whether you're equipped with the Haymaker (which punches the ball), the Swapper (which changes your place on the field with an opponent's), or the Tornado (you'll just have to see it to believe it), each one of the 11 new power-ups brings an extra dimension to the classic Rocket League formula.

Like the "Hoops" and "Mutator" modes before it, Rocket League Rumble will appear in online playlists and Private and Exhibition matches. The complete power-up list includes:

• The Boot (Kicks an opponent's car)
  • Disruptor (Forces your opponent to drive uncontrollably)
  • Freezer (Freezes the ball in-place)
  • Grappling Hook (Pulls you towards the ball)
  • Haymaker (Punches the ball)
  • Magnetizer (Attracts the ball to your car)
  • Plunger (Grabs the ball via plunger and cord)
  • Power Hitter (Allows you to hit everything harder)
  • Spike (Attach the ball to your car when you bump into it)
  • Swapper (Change positions on the field with your opponent)
  • Tornado (Sweep up the ball and opposing cars into a giant funnel cloud)

Check out the trailer to see the new mode in action and remember to watch the final season-one RLCS match-ups today and forever on http://twitch.TV/RocketLeague!

Kyle Lemmon | Psyonix
Twitter: @kvlemmon
Psyonix-Kyle
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: S3v3n_5wan5
Region: US

Re: Rocket League Rumble in September

Postby OsoMako on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:50 am

This looks so silly and fun. It's definitely coming to ranked, right? :lol:
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby jiegonator on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:12 am

This is DEFINITELY coming to Ranked. I'm calling it!

Oh and, Thanks and much <3 :yaypsyonix: !!

Lastly, didn't twitch say somewhere in their site that videos in twitch won't be saved FOREVER? I don't know if I'm wrong and you paid for the video to be there forever or you might need to look into it. :)
jiegonator
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: jiegonator
Region: No Idea. Steam

Postby OsoMako on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:22 am

jiegonator wrote:Lastly, didn't twitch say somewhere in their site that videos in twitch won't be saved FOREVER? I don't know if I'm wrong and you paid for the video to be there forever or you might need to look into it. :)

Psyonix had an official deal going with Twitch on this tournament, so I'm assuming they know what they're saying there. But I hope that's definitely the case, the first round of iBP vs Flipside was just too good to be lost anytime. I want web archaeologists to have that shit preserved in an e-sports exhibit 2000 years from now, dammit! :D
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby StubbornPuppet on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:23 am

Freaking cool!
I'M OUT. The decision to remove Neo Tokyo (and all the implications that holds for the future of this game) and start putting new cars inside crates... NOPE. See you somewhere else.
StubbornPuppet
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: StubbornPuppet
Steam ID: StubbornPuppet
Region: PC - US

Postby SyR on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Loved watching the trailer during the stream. The boot coming from off-screen at the start was such a surprise. Great work guys!
SyR
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: SyR
Region: EU PC

Postby johnmcclaneftw13 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 pm

OsoMako wrote:
jiegonator wrote:Lastly, didn't twitch say somewhere in their site that videos in twitch won't be saved FOREVER? I don't know if I'm wrong and you paid for the video to be there forever or you might need to look into it. :)

Psyonix had an official deal going with Twitch on this tournament, so I'm assuming they know what they're saying there. But I hope that's definitely the case, the first round of iBP vs Flipside was just too good to be lost anytime. I want web archaeologists to have that shit preserved in an e-sports exhibit 2000 years from now, dammit! :D

I love the fact that IBP rekt them twice. That video interview before the aformentioned match, BOY was MarkyDooDoo cocky. I hope that teaches that kid to respect his oppenents. He was SOOOOOO cocky in that interview. He got everything he deserved. That made that win 10000X better. w00t for IBP. (Depending on who you were rooting for.)

EDIT: About Rumble. I'm not excited about it. Hoops was cool, Snow day cool. But, weapons? No thanks, don't want it to mess with my play. I don't see myself playing it after a few tries. I was hoping for in game quick Tournements.
johnmcclaneftw13
Supersonic

PSN ID: JohnMcClaneFTW13
Steam ID: John McClane
Region: United States

Postby Skaldy on Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:35 am

Could be great fun. A game mode with power-ups was a logical extension. I loved ReVolt's Battle Tag mode over LAN back in '99.

Looking forward to giving it a go (but some fixes for the outstanding bugs in the main game would be nice too!).

This still deserves a :yaypsyonix:, because it's free!
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Region: EU

Postby litobirdy on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:00 am

lease its free and not forced change. I wont be playing much of it after testing it.
But anyway, I see it as Mario Kart in Rocket league without the racing aspect lol
Last edited by litobirdy on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
litobirdy
Acrobatic

PSN ID: litobirdy

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:21 am

litobirdy wrote:I see it has Mario Kart in Rocket league with the racing aspect lol

If they'd taken a more serious approach to it, rather than the cartoonish approach they've chosen, it would have been an entirely different story.
Having skill-based items, that can be used as tools or weapons at the possessor's discretion, requires much more strategy than the current game.
Skill-less items, like "swap places with somebody else on the field", considerably less so.

Even little things can change the entire dynamics of the game.
Case in point, demolitions.
As-is, you have nothing to worry about while chasing down your prey from behind.
Give that front guy the ability to drop mines behind his car, and running along carelessly behind him ceases to be an advisable option.

I'm particularly interested to see if the new "punching bag" and "boot" powerups are actually going to require any level of skill, to deploy accurately, or if they are just going to have auto-aim, or assisted aim.
Accurately hitting a moving ball, with a missile, while moving yourself, is a serious feat of skill that would be a great addition to this game.
I'm not nearly so sure about "suck everything up in a big tornado", and "make your opponent lose control of his car temporarily".
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby litobirdy on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:29 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:
litobirdy wrote:I see it has Mario Kart in Rocket league with the racing aspect lol

If they'd taken a more serious approach to it, rather than the cartoonish approach they've chosen, it would have been an entirely different story.
Having skill-based items, that can be used as tools or weapons at the possessor's discretion, requires much more strategy than the current game.
Skill-less items, like "swap places with somebody else on the field", considerably less so.

Even little things can change the entire dynamics of the game.
Case in point, demolitions.
As-is, you have nothing to worry about while chasing down your prey from behind.
Give that front guy the ability to drop mines behind his car, and running along carelessly behind him ceases to be an advisable option.

I'm particularly interested to see if the new "punching bag" and "boot" powerups are actually going to require any level of skill, to deploy accurately, or if they are just going to have auto-aim, or assisted aim.
Accurately hitting a moving ball, with a missile, while moving yourself, is a serious feat of skill that would be a great addition to this game.
I'm not nearly so sure about "suck everything up in a big tornado", and "make your opponent lose control of his car temporarily".

wow your whole "mine" idea sounds great. I vote for mines in this mode. but only for car to detonate, not the ball.
litobirdy
Acrobatic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:46 am

litobirdy wrote:wow your whole "mine" idea sounds great. I vote for mines in this mode. but only for car to detonate, not the ball.

The ones in CarBall had several different deployment modes.

You could hit your primary "fire" button, to drop them immediately behind your car, pre-primed.
If they hit a car behind you, they exploded.
If that car jumped your deployment, the mine stayed on the floor, primed, unless you switched to a different powerup, or something else made subsequent contact with the mine, and it exploded.

Hitting "alt-fire" would attach the mine to the trailing car until you subsequently hit fire, to detonate it, or until you switched powerups.
That allowed you to choose when the opposing player should explode.
The mines could be shaken off during that period, with repeated jump/flips though.

Both these methods also worked on the ball, so you could drop a mine behind you, in front of a ball traveling toward your goal, and make a last ditch save with it.
You could also attach the mine to the ball, and watch it closely, using the detonation signal to chip the ball over a defender, or move the ball off to the side, as a pass to your teammate.
All of that was controlled by the actual location of the mine, at the time of detonation, so there was a decent amount of skill and tactics involved, to use them effectively.
NoOne-NBA

Postby StubbornPuppet on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:52 pm

^That is all brilliant and exactly how I would implement it.

I think the Rumble mode goes a bit too far with so many and including some 'silly' stuff, but if we could focus it down to just one or two very tactical items like mines and rockets - so sweet.
I'M OUT. The decision to remove Neo Tokyo (and all the implications that holds for the future of this game) and start putting new cars inside crates... NOPE. See you somewhere else.
StubbornPuppet
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby dunkelziffer on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:17 pm

StubbornPuppet wrote:^That is all brilliant and exactly how I would implement it.

I think the Rumble mode goes a bit too far with so many and including some 'silly' stuff, but if we could focus it down to just one or two very tactical items like mines and rockets - so sweet.

Well, they said we'd never get items at all. So now we got 11 at once. Maybe we could convince Psyonix to expand this idea at a later point with some of those suggested items. Also, we really need a selection screen to toggle off items or set their occurence frequency individually.
dunkelziffer
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:39 pm

StubbornPuppet wrote:I think the Rumble mode goes a bit too far with so many and including some 'silly' stuff

That was my take on it as well.
I was hoping they would implement this idea more seriously, and possibly even incrementally, if they did eventually choose to include it.

Now, I'm just hoping the "silly" powerups don't overshadow the "tactical" ones too badly.
That would be a shame, for what should be such a huge addition to the advanced tactics and strategies of the game.
NoOne-NBA

Postby litobirdy on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:45 pm

Guys we just accept this as silly mode.forget about being tactical etc etc just accept it as silly.they've earned the right to put a silly mode in the game
litobirdy
Acrobatic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:59 pm

litobirdy wrote:Guys we just accept this as silly mode.forget about being tactical etc etc just accept it as silly.

I can't just "forget" having played this same game for about 8 years, with "serious" tools/weapons, sorry.
I've seen what this mode could be, and should be, if they approach it properly.
NoOne-NBA

Postby StubbornPuppet on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:54 am

I hate that I have to ask this, but can we get some word about whether or not this is slated to replace the Snow Day playlist?

I just don't want to imagine a Rocket League where there isn't a running online public server for matchmaking. Trying to do it in private matches was a waste of time.
StubbornPuppet
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby SyR on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:26 pm

This is a fun update. I'm going to enjoy playing it and the last thing I will do is take it seriously!
SyR
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: SyR
Region: EU PC

Postby litobirdy on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:32 pm

new arena Octagon looks nice. Not crazy different but enough of a difference. The other 2 "variants" eh, not variant enough to me
litobirdy
Acrobatic

Next

Return to Official Messages