In-Depth Look at Rocket League Season 2

Official announcements and news relating to Rocket League.

In-Depth Look at Rocket League Season 2

Postby Psyonix-Josh on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:03 pm

Last week, we talked about the Season 1 Rewards and new "Item Qualities." This week, we're changing the standard news format to go in-depth with the details about our second Online season.

Season 2's Fresh Approach

The next patch (scheduled for February), will bring an end to the first season of competitive Rocket League! We’ve been listening to all of your awesome feedback regarding Season 1 and incorporating a TON of improvements for Season 2 and beyond.

The aim of Season 2 is to de-emphasize the importance of single wins or losses and put the focus where it belongs -- consistently playing well and improving your game over time (not stressing over individual losses). Now, let's get into it!

What Has Changed in Season 2?
  • To start, we've renamed ranked play "Competitive Matchmaking," which will be tagged in the Playlists menu to differentiate them from casual matchmaking.
  • In addition to the fresh playlists tags, we're also removing Rank Points for Season 2. In the new season, all Divisions are based on your Skill Rating to remove the confusion of two points systems.

• We have replaced the ten Season 1 Divisions (Bronze I/II/III, Silver I/II/III, Gold I/II/III, and Platinum) with 12 new ones, especially tailored to Rocket League.
  • The new divisions range from Prospect I at the bottom to Champion at the top.

Here’s a little breakdown of Season 2's titles:

Will My Rank Reset?

• When starting Season 2, all players must play ten placement matches to determine their Skill Division. Skill data will also remain from Season 1, so existing players don't have to start over. Your final division placement will be heavily influenced by your Season 1 Skill Rating.
  • Skill Divisions will be visible on the end-game scoreboard, so you can see what division your teammates and opponents were in. However, you will no longer see a numeric representation of your skill or rank, just your current division icon and name.
  • Promotion and Demotion between divisions works differently than before. You will be promoted into a division after your skill has risen consistently to the next division up. Once promoted, you won’t risk immediate demotion for losing a game or two.
    Check out this image of the new end-game scoreboard:

What Else Should We Know About Season 2?

• There is no longer a hard cap on the number of players in the top division. This means that if you meet the skill requirements for the top division you will be placed accordingly, regardless of the number of players who meet that rating.
  • Season 2 will retain the Top 100 with leaderboards based on Skill Rating, similar to how the Preseason worked. Players in the Top 100 of each skill division will appear on leaderboards like in previous seasons.

As usual, we'll keep you updated on more of our feature additions and other topics regularly through our Facebook and Twitter pages. Thanks for reading and let’s keep this discussion going for Season 2! Good luck out there!
Psyonix-Josh
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Re: In-Depth Look at Rocket League Season 2

Postby Fijut on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:20 pm

nice, the new ranks look fun and hopefully the ranking system will be much more fair
Fijut
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Fijut
Steam ID: Fijut
Region: EU/UK

Postby Destroyer on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:55 am

Two Rocketeers and 0 ping? seems legit
Destroyer
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: yoeblue
Region: EU

Postby IJx on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:30 am

"Your final division placement will be heavily influenced by your Season 1 Skill Rating."

^ Please do tell that translates to players hidden MMR, not RP?
IJx

PSN ID: IJayfunk
Steam ID: IJ

Postby Ninjitsu Magoo on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:47 am

No no no no. Don't remove points, I want to see where I stand in the ranks, if I need two or ten games to be promoted. Kind of not looking forward to season 2. This seems equivalent to going from Windows 7 to Vista. I'm also disappointed that you didn't get in-depth at all. How will match-making rankings be influenced by the update? What have you done to stop stagnancy? Are there going to be exponentially more players in the lower divisions than higher like in season 1? How will the silo system work?

Please can you tell us a bit more about the systems instead of the UI.
Ninjitsu Magoo
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Ninjitsu Magoo
Region: Both

Postby Darksun on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Overall I think this looks like a huge improvement.
Darksun
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: DarksunDaFirst
Steam ID: Darksun

Postby Angelteam on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Nice thx-you
Angelteam
Acrobatic

Steam ID: Angel 91650
Region: France, Région Parisienne

Postby bousquet on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Join our rocket league 2v2 tourni! starts on the 6th! https://rocket-league.com/knockout/1196
bousquet
Supersonic

Steam ID: bousquet
Region: US

Postby The_deceased on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:47 am

I like how that Psyonix always let ROOKIES make the announcements!

We definitely need a deeper look.
The_deceased
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

PSN ID: The_deceased
Region: (US-E/EU/ME)

Postby Primzahlteiler on Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:02 am

I really like the sound of it. I see myself often hesitating to play ranked when I am at the bottom of a rank in fear, I might loose it. Holding on that gold 2v2 :lol:
The new System might suit me a lot better. :D
Psyonix-Josh wrote:The aim of Season 2 is to de-emphasize the importance of single wins or losses
Love it
Psyonix-Josh wrote:To start, we've renamed ranked play "Competitive Matchmaking,"
Wow, I love THAT one even more :cheesygrin:
Psyonix-Josh wrote:we're also removing Rank Points for Season 2.
Definitely need more info on that. What will you show the player after a match? I still propose, you show us, all the good things we've done and how they improve our (last 50 matches-) statistics. No matter, if we loose or win. (like here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16503)

One thing though: Personally I think the new rank Symbols look out of place and boring. Overall they just lack detail. Well, you might have discussed their design in the team and went for simplicity, but it just doesn't fit the asthetic of RL imo (which looks like the opposite of smplicity).

Look at all the details, that were put into the cars, the maps and damn that ball design is great.

the current bronze silver gold symbols are not that great either, but still better, then the new ones.
compare that to e.g. Starcraft

I'm talking about the textures, details and shading. Season 2 Rank Symbols look like traffic signs, dammit. RL is a world of cars with rockets on their back flying through the air and exploding. The new rank symbols put me to sleep.

You have designed the perfect rank symbols for audiosurf, not Rocket League:
Image Image
You see, what I mean?
Primzahlteiler
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: tankbreaker

Postby illi on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:14 pm

Update seems great and I'm really looking forward to it, but man are those icons ugly. They look like someone who's in love with the gradient feature in paint sat down and made these in 10 minutes. I'm no stylist but as a human being it pains me to even look at these icons, I'd probably kill myself if I got placed anywhere lower than Rising Star (name's to be changed aswell IMO) cause I couldn't stand those challenger icons next to me all the time. More detail, definetly. I understand what you were going for, but rocket league isn't like that. It's a game with a clean design, not minimalistic. Outside of that the update seems appropriate and I'm looking forward to it, but for the love of god change all of those icons.
illi
Supersonic

PSN ID: illi234

Postby vivster on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:07 pm

I really hope you are going for a simpler algorithm now. That "potential to win" and that "uncertainty" bullshit didn't work out. Just stay with the MMR which seems to work great for matchmaking and cut all additional point or probability systems. Also please don't let the MMR of your team mates influence your own score.
vivster
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: kaninch0n
Steam ID: vivster

Postby SpawnpointGaming on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 am

For season 2, add Mac and Linux support
SpawnpointGaming
Supersonic

PSN ID: n/a
Steam ID: Jyminatorda2nd
Region: the steam version

Postby erdo on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:48 am

Very boring looking title logos indeed.
Give it more detail.
erdo
Supersonic

PSN ID: erdo369
Region: EU/USE

Postby PMGS247 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:03 am

I like the idea of your skill rating driving your rank, but will we have any additional visibility into the skill rating? It's very vague and I'm not sure what makes it up/how it's derived. What this would drive is some sort of visibility into progress within a rank, rather than just waiting for that promotion/demotion that could come at any moment.
PMGS247
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: PMGS247

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:16 am

Psyonix-Josh wrote:Players in the Top 100 of each skill division will appear on leaderboards like in previous seasons.

Can you clarify this?

That post uses "Skill Division" to mean the individual divisions (i.e. Prospect 1, Challenger 3, etc...) throughout.
Are there really going to be Top-100 leaderboards for each skill division, or did "Skill Division" mean 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 Solo, and 3v3 Standard, in this instance?
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby I3uzzkill on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:13 pm

I love everything about the new patch but a lot of people are saying they dont like the rank designs. i think its mainly because they dont look very differant to each other. i understand what the design team was trying to do but if someone who wasnt playing rocket league saw the rank designs without its title and was told to point out which design was the highest rank, they would most probably choose a gold one purely because of its colour. If the choice was to make simplistic designs then use colours to separate each division and each rank in that division. maybe make the highest rank of each division glow as opposed to being a standard colour. or have like a spinning effect or something. I just think the problem is that all the ranks look too similar. if you are a silver ranked player and you get to silver 3. when you match up with other silver players you kinda want to show off or feel like you accomplished something, not have a rank that looks almost exactly like theirs.

On a side note if you look at the leaderboard image the gold challenger division stands out way more than the blue in the champion division, its the first thing you look at and seems like a higher rank than champion. i really think the gold should be put in the top division or should be dulled so that the top division looks the best. or perhaps the highest division should have a glowing effect for each of its ranks or just champion so that it stands out.

I am studying graphic design

My RL rank is:

gold 2 for 1v1
gold 3 for 2v2
gold 1 for 3v3

if that means anything here.
I3uzzkill
Supersonic

Postby Skaldy on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:21 am

SpawnpointGaming wrote:For season 2, add Mac and Linux support

We'll be lucky (and grateful) if these are ready for Season 3, not 2. And Crossplay must be enabled for both of these, with separate icons for each platform instead of that uninformative "PSY NET".

Of course, Microsoft Xbox One owners will have to sulk by themselves in the corner. ;)
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby StubbornPuppet on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:25 am

I'd say it's pretty safe to bet that they plan on starting season 2 to coincide with the OSX and Xbone releases.
I'M OUT. The decision to remove Neo Tokyo (and all the implications that holds for the future of this game) and start putting new cars inside crates... NOPE. See you somewhere else.
StubbornPuppet
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: StubbornPuppet
Steam ID: StubbornPuppet
Region: PC - US

Postby DESTRUCTION on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:24 pm

:backfire: :backfire: :backfire:
StubbornPuppet wrote:I'd say it's pretty safe to bet that they plan on starting season 2 to coincide with the OSX and Xbone releases.

Add me
DESTRUCTION
Supersonic

PSN ID: australianhard
Steam ID: australianhard

Next

Return to Official Messages