Rocket League Stutter/Hanging, 1050ti, Completely Unplayable

Where the community helps the community! Post any technical issues you experience here.

Rocket League Stutter/Hanging, 1050ti, Completely Unplayable

Postby Shiivu on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:32 pm

I have recently upgraded from an Acer Aspire Nitro Laptop (4GB 960M, i5), which ran the game maxed out at 1080p flawlessly, from a bog standard 5400rpm HDD.

I now have a Clevo machine with a 4GB 1050ti, and a kaby lake i5. Its quite a bit more powerful on the GPU front, and runs all of my games flawlessly at high settings at 1080p, everything except Rocket League.

No matter what settings I run the game on, with or without vsync, borderless/windowed or fullscreen, I get constant stutters whenever I, or a teammate or opponent go near the ball or perform an action towards the ball specifically. This is in addition to random stutters/hangs throughout the game.

If i start up the game, I get around 1-2 minutes of stutter free gameplay, or maybe a whole game if I'm lucky, before it becomes completely unplayable. It seems as though the problem starts off with minor issues, before quickly getting worse and worse.

To be clear, this is not throttling, overheating, or anything of the sorts. My CPU never goes above 70c, and my GPU only ever gets close to 80c in a demanding area of an MMO on a hot summer evening. Liquid metal paste is beautiful.

I've tried every fix the internet has deemed fit to throw at me. From various config file changes, disabling all the windows 10 game mode and dvr crapware, microsofts tracking spyware, reinstalling windows completely, reverting to old drivers and updating to the latest, running in high performance over balanced power modes, firewalls changes. Everything. None of which I had to make to my old Skylake/960m laptop for it to run at max settings at 60fps.

Also to be clear, the game runs at 60 between these stuttery moments. I'd love to be able to test my max/avg fps with vsync turned off, but for some strange reason that causes a whole different issue in that the game drops to around 20fps and screen tear is everywhere. Something very unique to rocket league, which I also observed on both the standard and pro versions of the PS4 game.

I poured hundreds of hours into the PS4 title before moving over to PC permanently, only to find that the game is unplayable on the newest hardware there is.

The easy answer seems to be that Windows 10 Creator's Update is to blame, but I find that hard to accept as out of 250+ steam/origin/battlenet games in my library, only Rocket League is affected.

Finally, it's not my network either. I've tried both wired (<20ms ping) and wireless (<24ms ping), with the same results. My internet connection is incredibly stable and actually optimised for gaming at an ISP level.

At this point I may as well delete it and wait 3 months for the Switch version... :?
Shiivu
Supersonic

PSN ID: iStrikeRx
Steam ID: Shiivu
GamerTag: II StrikeR x
Region: EU

Re: Rocket League Stutter/Hanging, 1050ti, Completely Unplay

Postby JacobThePigeon on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Hmm, that's odd, especially considering the 1050Ti (and 1060) is bundled with Rocket League on the official Nvidia website, so there's really no reason for it not being able to run it. So you can probably rule that one out.

By any chance do you use Geforce Experience?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby Rufmeister on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Shiivu wrote:I have recently upgraded from an Acer Aspire Nitro Laptop (4GB 960M, i5), which ran the game maxed out at 1080p flawlessly, from a bog standard 5400rpm HDD.

I now have a Clevo machine with a 4GB 1050ti, and a kaby lake i5. Its quite a bit more powerful on the GPU front, and runs all of my games flawlessly at high settings at 1080p, everything except Rocket League.

No matter what settings I run the game on, with or without vsync, borderless/windowed or fullscreen, I get constant stutters whenever I, or a teammate or opponent go near the ball or perform an action towards the ball specifically. This is in addition to random stutters/hangs throughout the game.

If i start up the game, I get around 1-2 minutes of stutter free gameplay, or maybe a whole game if I'm lucky, before it becomes completely unplayable. It seems as though the problem starts off with minor issues, before quickly getting worse and worse.

To be clear, this is not throttling, overheating, or anything of the sorts. My CPU never goes above 70c, and my GPU only ever gets close to 80c in a demanding area of an MMO on a hot summer evening. Liquid metal paste is beautiful.

I've tried every fix the internet has deemed fit to throw at me. From various config file changes, disabling all the windows 10 game mode and dvr crapware, microsofts tracking spyware, reinstalling windows completely, reverting to old drivers and updating to the latest, running in high performance over balanced power modes, firewalls changes. Everything. None of which I had to make to my old Skylake/960m laptop for it to run at max settings at 60fps.

Also to be clear, the game runs at 60 between these stuttery moments. I'd love to be able to test my max/avg fps with vsync turned off, but for some strange reason that causes a whole different issue in that the game drops to around 20fps and screen tear is everywhere. Something very unique to rocket league, which I also observed on both the standard and pro versions of the PS4 game.

I poured hundreds of hours into the PS4 title before moving over to PC permanently, only to find that the game is unplayable on the newest hardware there is.

The easy answer seems to be that Windows 10 Creator's Update is to blame, but I find that hard to accept as out of 250+ steam/origin/battlenet games in my library, only Rocket League is affected.

Finally, it's not my network either. I've tried both wired (<20ms ping) and wireless (<24ms ping), with the same results. My internet connection is incredibly stable and actually optimised for gaming at an ISP level.

At this point I may as well delete it and wait 3 months for the Switch version... :?

JacobThePigeon wrote:Hmm, that's odd, especially considering the 1050Ti (and 1060) is bundled with Rocket League on the official Nvidia website, so there's really no reason for it not being able to run it. So you can probably rule that one out.

Following up on Jacob's response, if you do have Geforce Experience, do you have Shadowplay enabled? A similar issue happened to me a while back and it was a result of having it enabled.
Rufmeister

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby Shiivu on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Rufmeister wrote:
Shiivu wrote:I have recently upgraded from an Acer Aspire Nitro Laptop (4GB 960M, i5), which ran the game maxed out at 1080p flawlessly, from a bog standard 5400rpm HDD.

JacobThePigeon wrote:Hmm, that's odd, especially considering the 1050Ti (and 1060) is bundled with Rocket League on the official Nvidia website, so there's really no reason for it not being able to run it. So you can probably rule that one out.

Following up on Jacob's response, if you do have Geforce Experience, do you have Shadowplay enabled? A similar issue happened to me a while back and it was a result of having it enabled.

I previously had it installed yes, with shadowplay disabled, in addition to all windows DVR features etc disabled.

I did a fresh wipe and install of windows 10 a couple days back, used stock windows 10 drivers, no geforce control panel or experience installed. Issue still persists sadly :/
Shiivu
Supersonic

Postby JacobThePigeon on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:56 am

Shiivu wrote:
I previously had it installed yes, with shadowplay disabled, in addition to all windows DVR features etc disabled.

I did a fresh wipe and install of windows 10 a couple days back, used stock windows 10 drivers, no geforce control panel or experience installed. Issue still persists sadly :/

If you did a fresh install to the most recent version of Windows 10 (1703 - Creator's Update), then it's likely the issues will still prolong, as the creator's update has been the cause for a lot of everyone's issues.

Personally, I flashed my windows back to the anniversary update (before they released the first Creator's update) and I haven't had much issues at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby Shiivu on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:52 pm

JacobThePigeon wrote:
Shiivu wrote:

If you did a fresh install to the most recent version of Windows 10 (1703 - Creator's Update), then it's likely the issues will still prolong, as the creator's update has been the cause for a lot of everyone's issues.

Personally, I flashed my windows back to the anniversary update (before they released the first Creator's update) and I haven't had much issues at all.

Downloading the ISO now, seemed drastic before but I'm basically out of options.

Hopefully this fixes the stutter caused by user access control when installing programs too.

Will update later :)
Shiivu
Supersonic

Postby Skaldy on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:04 am

Have you tried going to Windows 10 "Settings...Gaming..." and disabling both Game Bar and Game Mode?
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Return to Help and Support