Geez, why is everyone a bunch of quitters? In non-ranked!

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Geez, why is everyone a bunch of quitters? In non-ranked!

Postby Mickyfinn on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:24 am

Down 1-2 goals with 3 minutes left and everyone bails. Grow some bards for God's sake!
Mickyfinn
Acrobatic

Switch Friend Code: 0

Re: Geez, why is everyone a bunch of quitters? In non-rank

Postby Redstorm705 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 am

It gets worse. There are a multitude of games where my team is up 2-0. We get scored on, still up 1 goal, and someone on MY TEAM leaves. Like... What the hell.
The only time I understand leaving matches is if it gets toxic or if I get shoe-horned into a hopeless match.
BRING BACK NEO
Redstorm705
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Redstorm705
Steam ID: Redstorm
Region: US - East

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Redstorm705 wrote:It gets worse. There are a multitude of games where my team is up 2-0. We get scored on, still up 1 goal, and someone on MY TEAM leaves. Like... What the hell.

I have to wonder how many of those are server screw-ups, rather than intentional drops.
If somebody drops in an Unranked match, they don't get the "rejoin" option.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Infyrin on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm

I quit matches when I feel not enough effort is being put into the overall match by all teammates.

Sorry, I play to find a fun challenging experience. Not a slaughter, not a one-sided match and not a complete demonstration of people's incompetence.
Infyrin
Supersonic

Postby Bacon on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Unranked matchmaking is a mess. There are several threads on these forums about people getting matched with players far above/below their own skill level. I've personally played with and against a ton of legitimate rookies and semi-pros. The score will invariably be a blowout for one side or the other in those matches, and then it becomes a revolving door of people joining and immediately leaving until the match finally ends.

Psyonix really needs to address blowout games. No one wants to jump into a game down by 5 with 1:30 to go.

I also routinely see people leave immediately after making an idiotic play, like own-goaling or blowing a save that AI could make. I assume they leave to avoid teammate harassment, but that's just a guess.
Bacon
Acrobatic

GamerTag: Bacon Hoarder
Region: US

Postby Redstorm705 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:16 pm

Infyrin wrote:I quit matches when I feel not enough effort is being put into the overall match by all teammates.

Sorry, I play to find a fun challenging experience. Not a slaughter, not a one-sided match and not a complete demonstration of people's incompetence.

Now, I used to have the same mindset, but at this point, if I get into a game, I just play it through, regardless. Mostly because I bought the game (read: Downloaded for PS+) to play it, not to be in the matchmaker all day, but also because while somewhat minorly, I get better when I have to carry a team. It's not always fun, but it helps me get better.
Also, it leads to me getting shit on less for quitting in places like my DMs and forums, just saying.
Bacon wrote:Unranked matchmaking is a mess. There are several threads on these forums about people getting matched with players far above/below their own skill level. I've personally played with and against a ton of legitimate rookies and semi-pros. The score will invariably be a blowout for one side or the other in those matches, and then it becomes a revolving door of people joining and immediately leaving until the match finally ends.

Psyonix really needs to address blowout games. No one wants to jump into a game down by 5 with 1:30 to go.

I also routinely see people leave immediately after making an idiotic play, like own-goaling or blowing a save that AI could make. I assume they leave to avoid teammate harassment, but that's just a guess.

I agree, lately, I've been noticing two varying behaviors of the matchmaker with games it slots me into: Either the MM puts me in with people around my skill....gradient or whatever word I'm looking for, where people generally have played long enough to earn their expert/master/legend tags and their playstyle shows this. OR I'm put into a match where I have one or two newer players, i.e. those who can't aerial at all, go reversing around the map, ball-chase, etc.

And the latter situation really sucks for me, because like I stated above, I'd like to try to quit out of matches less often, however when I'm shoved into these disproportionate matches, the most likely reason why tends to be because the team I'm joining is getting absolutely blown out. Another peculiar facet to this, is that often more times than not, the opposing team consist of a party that is generally only somewhat below my own average skill level and the team I'm joining is full of newer players. This has been the most prevalent trend I've observed with this, which leads me to believe that while losing/raging from these matches is likely driving my MMR down further incentivizing more matches like it, there is also an inherent issue with the matchmaker's algorithm, as these trend of matches only began happening to me around the autumn update.
BRING BACK NEO
Redstorm705
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Redstorm705
Steam ID: Redstorm
Region: US - East

Postby Voqar on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm

I play to have fun, and I'll do it my way - since the game lets you. I find the matchmaking in unranked so suck BAD. I'll stick around in a game that seems competitive but I'm not sticking around in a lopsided suckfest just to make some random forum poster happy. I stick around when I join a match in progress where my team is down to see if I can help out.

I would agree that many people leave at the drop of a hat and are far more volatile about it than I, and when you ARE in a decent match it sucks when someone bails, leaving you with a pathetic bot and likelihood of losing (like when someone leave just because the other team tied or because they missed a save by 3 pixels).

Play ranked if you want a "cleaner" game. I have job and often don't feel like being perfect for ranked and just want to chill so I play more unranked but I think ranked is the more quality experience.

To me there are several critical problems with unranked.

For one, and this one bothers me the most, there is no solo queue. I'm always solo in unranked and have zero desire to be fodder for some stupidly overpowered premade group of griefers (I say grief because if you need a group in unranked WHEN you are high ranked, you have nads the size of bb's and are just looking for easy victories knowing the matchmaking blows and you'll dominate most of the time). If I'm in a match and in a pug, and some premade scores in the first 3 seconds with one dude flying the length of the map doing quadruple backflips and not even trying - yes, I'm bailing. Sorry to the OP. I have better things to do with my time than get destroyed by some uber ranked nutless wonder that wants to show off for his boi's.

I'm not that good despite many hours - gold 2 or so. Oddly before thanksgiving I found unranked to be miserable because *maybe* 1 in 6 matches were barellycompetitive and it was mostly total blowouts one way or the other and not fun. Since thanksgiving I don't know wtf happened but now 19/20 matches are insanely competitive but so many people I get in with are higher rank or clearly my better - I regularly see people with plat/diamond banners. In some ways it's good to see how I need to improve but it does get old being mostly a spectator that barely contributes on defense.

I guess the current state of unranked for me is slightly better than before where most matches were a waste of time - it's still not very balanced for me but it's at least interesting.

I play ranked too and lately it seems I almost have to play ranked to get decently competitive matches. Before t-day I'd go ranked to avoid the endless suck of blowouts but now it's the only way I can tone down competition enough to feel like I'm contributing.

Overall, I'm really not impressed with Rocket Labs in regards to unranked - been playing for a long time and unranked has always been a mess to me. It's very rarely competitive, the matchmaking seems nonexistent (more like first come first served), and yes, people do leave over anything. A LOT of people play this game and a lot of people play unranked - I don't care about the game as e-sport, I don't care about tournaments, and I wish they'd pay more attention to the stuff that applies to majority.
Voqar
Acrobatic

Postby Mickyfinn on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:45 am

"Make some random forum poster happy"? I hope that's not directed at me. My point was leaving a completely winnable match. The OP said down 1-2 goals with 3 minutes left.
Mickyfinn
Acrobatic

Postby HeisenbergFX4 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Honestly I am not a great player probably very average at best.

That said much like an earlier poster mentioned if I am playing and I am totally out classed by a premade group I am not hanging around.

Sure I am not going to get any better then what I am right now but I am ok with that.

I am an old guy 50+ year old and I ONLY play unranked and I play it to have fun not to get my head bashed in by far superior players.
I'm your huckleberry
HeisenbergFX4
Acrobatic

PSN ID: Twinkeeze
Steam ID: Twinkeeze
GamerTag: HeisenbergFX4

Postby Tentacles on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Those people rage quitting want to be carried, they will never learn to carry. Let them stay trash.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby HeisenbergFX4 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Case in point I am a lowly Master rank and I know I am not very good and playing Hoops I get paired with a semi pro who after 2:00 minutes of play has 20 points and we are playing a group of Season X Grand Champions and down 3-0. Sorry I am not staying to try and "learn to carry" as some might put it.

I dont care there are people better then me it does not bother me I wont get better just not hanging around being cannon fodder either when I am paired with someone playing for the first time, great MM there.
I'm your huckleberry
HeisenbergFX4
Acrobatic

Postby E_M_E_T on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm

HeisenbergFX4 wrote:Case in point I am a lowly Master rank and I know I am not very good and playing Hoops I get paired with a semi pro who after 2:00 minutes of play has 20 points and we are playing a group of Season X Grand Champions and down 3-0. Sorry I am not staying to try and "learn to carry" as some might put it.

I dont care there are people better then me it does not bother me I wont get better just not hanging around being cannon fodder either when I am paired with someone playing for the first time, great MM there.

My god, I really hope you see the shameless hypocrisy in your comment. You don't give a fuck about getting better, yet you are upset by people who are worse than you, and you complain when your opponents are better than you. I understand that you want to leave a match that is hopeless, but then asking for matchmaking to find you perfect matches every game because you refuse to take on a challenge is self-centered, to say the least. Of all gamemodes, using Hoops as your example is a really stupid idea. Matchmaking can't just create players that will be at your skill level, they have to be also playing the game. If there aren't enough people queuing then you're not going to get a fair match.
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby HeisenbergFX4 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:10 pm

nahh wasnt complaining at all and didnt mean to come across that way. Just using what I said as an example of the absolute beating I am about to take.

I understand my limits. I have old eyes and bad reflexes and know I will never be able to compete with these really good players and I am ok with that.

Funny enough it seems to bother alot of others that I am not overly concerned about becoming a top level player in this game.

Honestly I dont care what other players think if I am trash or whatnot the OP asked why people leave non ranked and I just offered up insight from an older gamer that doesnt enjoy getting destroyed by top flight players of which I will never be.

And I understand the whole MM system but when thats the first match it puts me into within seconds of me queueing up is me with a first day player going up against Season X Grand Champions when it plainly says something about trying to match equal skill level then the system is obviously flawed.
I'm your huckleberry
HeisenbergFX4
Acrobatic

Postby N7Mith on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 pm

Sometimes it gets abused by smurfs and trolls, but that's not the systems fault.
As for people leaving; play ranked to avoid that. 1s or solo 3s if you're alone, 2s or 3s if you have friends.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby SIMY on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:47 am

N7Mith wrote:Sometimes it gets abused by smurfs and trolls, but that's not the systems fault.
As for people leaving; play ranked to avoid that. 1s or solo 3s if you're alone, 2s or 3s if you have friends.

Nothing you can do but play.
SIMY
Acrobatic

Steam ID: SiMy
Region: US

Return to General Discussion