Salty players, what to do about them?

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Salty players, what to do about them?

Postby Spartikos on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:37 am

Xbox player here. I, like many of you, have probably come across this scenario, and it's disappointing to say the least: One of your "teammates" in competitive starts playing for the other team. How do you report them, and if you recorded video of them deliberately ruining the match for you and another, submit it for review? The only thing I knew how to do is report for unsportsmanlike conduct during the match. Furthermore, is it even effective?

Here's the scenario: I was in a 3v3 competitive standard with plat 2s and 3s, where teammate 1 starting yelling at teammate 2 because teammate 2 was ball-chasing. Teammate 2 says he'll play aggressive b/c that's his style; teammate 1 starts playing for other team. Mind you, at this point, the score is only 0-1 with 4 minutes remaining in the game. Wow. After trying to FF, he wouldn't vote, and if I left, I would be screwed because I would have received a ban. What are/were my options? (besides endure it, because I did, and we lost 2-6 lol)
Spartikos
Supersonic

Steam ID: Spartikos
GamerTag: Spartikos
Region: US

Re: Salty players, what to do about them?

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:09 am

Reporting for UC does work if that kind of attitude is prevalent often.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: Galactic Geek

Postby Spartikos on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am

You're saying that it takes multiple reports of UC over the course of many games to have any effect?
Spartikos
Supersonic

Steam ID: Spartikos
GamerTag: Spartikos

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:59 am

Spartikos wrote:You're saying that it takes multiple reports of UC over the course of many games to have any effect?

I don't know the exact numbers, and such, but the multiple reports are what trigger a manual review.
THAT is when their actions will catch up with them.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby SIMY on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:11 pm

People are using banning as a threat in games. Is this what the game wants? I have video showing it...players telling me, "enjoy the bann". Your giving power to kids that cannot accept losing. It's a bad idea for any game.
SIMY
Acrobatic

Steam ID: SiMy

Postby BloodyBunny on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:15 am

Those "kids" don't have any power. They can report you all they want. As long as you have done nothing wrong you won't get banned.
Now if you get freaked out thinking you are getting banned then YOU gave them power and exactly what they wanted. You tilted so you go down in rank.
BloodyBunny
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: BloodyBunny

Postby Galactic Geek on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:47 am

I just had a few matches with a player that called us EZ, constantly mentioned luck, insulted and made leud remarks about our mothers, and that even referred to us as "lady's parts" despite the fact that he was losing every single match by 4 points or more. Our team just laughed it off, told him "whatever helps you sleep at night," and reported him. His teammates, wisely, stayed quiet.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Tentacles on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:55 pm

Did you try to git gud so you don't have salty players? If that fails you can always mute people.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Voqar on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:43 pm

You can hope that reporting people eventually matters.

For people who abuse chat for for the console players (9/10 times it's them) that spam chat like they get paid by the click, I just mute them.

I'd love to have a hotkey to mute the entire other team all in one go, since you often find premades of mouthy brats that either yap in chat constantly or spam quick chat constantly - it'd save me the minimal effort of identifying their moronic usernames and muting them.
Voqar
Acrobatic

Postby Galactic Geek on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:49 am

Yesterday, I was using quick chat to frequently communicate, which apparently irritated the other team. All 3 opposing players started incessantly saying "Great pass!" over and over again non-stop. So I set quick-chat to team only and reported them for verbal/chat abuse. My teammate's solution? To start saying "Great pass!" right back at them. I ended up having to disable the quick-chat altogether AND reporting my 'mates too, which left me entirely unable to communicate with anyone without a mic. *SMH* :?
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby N7Mith on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 am

Quick chats will NEVER result in a ban. Please don't report people for that, it will only cost the team more time to process proper reports.

It appears I broke the rep system. Sorry!
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Galactic Geek on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 pm

If they look at chat logs though and see the same thing spammed every second for entire minutes, then something should be done about it! Never, my butt!
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby N7Mith on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Galactic Geek wrote:If they look at chat logs though and see the same thing spammed every second for entire minutes, then something should be done about it! Never, my butt!

Look it up dude, they won't ban for quickchats.

N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 am

I'm not saying that you're wrong - I believe you; I'm simply saying they're wrong for not doing it in the 1st place, especially since I gave a perfectly legit scenario where it can be abused. Heck, even a simple and temporary communication ban would be nice.

Besides, why should I punish myself by cutting off my own ability to communicate when the other players are the ones in the wrong?
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby N7Mith on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:36 am

Stop being tilted so easily. If you can't even handle a couple sarcastic remarks you shouldn't play online.

N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:19 am

N7Mith wrote:Stop being tilted so easily. If you can't even handle a couple sarcastic remarks you shouldn't play online.

Cheap response is cheap (and does nothing to address the actual issue of poor behavior). Offer positive/constructive feedback or don't bother.

Also, said sarcastic remarks obscure the entire left half of the screen, which can adversely affect my gameplay by blocking what I can see. Furthermore, it's a constant stream of additional unnecessary info coming through that prevents proper team communication - it is an issue, even if you don't believe it to be.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby littlebigleg on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 pm

its not what the quick chat spammers are trying to say to me,I couldn't care less about that.its the constant beep noise that does my head in.when there doing it,Its so irritating
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby OsoMako on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:45 pm

N7Mith wrote:Quick chats will NEVER result in a ban. Please don't report people for that, it will only cost the team more time to process proper reports.

Now I'm not a dev, so I don't know this for sure, but I'm fairly positive that Psyonix isn't even bothering to LOOK at Verbal/Text harassment reports anymore. I think all of those are just filtered right into their auto-ban system. So reporting for quick-chat wouldn't do anything, it'd just be another ignored report.

I just don't see why you'd come up with that system and NOT use it to eliminate a solid majority of your reports that need to be processed. The only alternative scenario I can really see occurring is the auto-ban system also flags certain keywords for "further review" by Psyonix personnel -- i.e. - this is probably a bannable word, but we need to read it in context to be totally sure. Either way, quick-chat reports wouldn't get through.

That's all speculation though! ;)
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby N7Mith on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 pm

They stated they'd still review reports, if only to add more words to the current list. I believe it's more the other way around; they don't get reports that the autoban system took care of.

N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Postby N7Mith on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:22 pm

Galactic Geek wrote:
N7Mith wrote:Stop being tilted so easily. If you can't even handle a couple sarcastic remarks you shouldn't play online.

Cheap response is cheap (and does nothing to address the actual issue of poor behavior). Offer positive/constructive feedback or don't bother.

Also, said sarcastic remarks obscure the entire left half of the screen, which can adversely affect my gameplay by blocking what I can see. Furthermore, it's a constant stream of additional unnecessary info coming through that prevents proper team communication - it is an issue, even if you don't believe it to be.

I'm not saying it's not an issue. I'm saying the devs don't consider it a bannable offense.
And it was meant mostly constructive. You hurt yourself more than teammates by getting tilted easily. Someone in a video uses a piece of cardboard to block the chat section. Something easily flicked on and off. You could try that.

N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Next

Return to General Discussion