Someone Explain Rank Reward changes...

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Someone Explain Rank Reward changes...

Postby johnmcclaneftw13 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm upset, & Salty over the new Rank reward system. I dont have much free time, and the time I do give to RL during my free time feels worthless now. I don't have the time to win up to get the Diamond reward. Why did they do this? I understand maybe the smurfs, but who cares what reward a smurf has? I have 2 bronze level rewards because I dont have the time to grind away matches, yet I'm diamond tier. I know no one cares, but before I quit, because it's not worth my free time anymore to play the couple of matches I can for a bronze reward I'll never wear because, why would I ever wear bronze when I'm diamond? GG psyonix. Once this is explained, I'm leaving. I know no one cares, but It's not worth it to play the few matches I can, if I'm not going to get the reward, and the 5 bucks I spend in keys every 2 weeks for the crates I get because I don't have much time to play. So, me, and my 10 dollars a month are GONE!
Play Hard Die Hard!
johnmcclaneftw13
Supersonic

PSN ID: JohnMcClaneFTW13
Steam ID: John McClane
Region: United States

Re: Someone Explain Rank Reward changes...

Postby littlebigleg on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:38 pm

i dont understand? how much games do you play in the 3 odd months that is a season? And if it is such a small amount why would you spend 5 bucks every 2 weeks on keys?
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:52 pm

You only have to win 60 games to get the Diamond rewards.

Assuming you're where you should be, rank-wise, that means you should only have to PLAY about 120 games.
Assuming a 4-month season, that averages out to ONE game per day.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby AlexCuse44 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:49 am

Haven't heard people complain that rank rewards are too hard to get before....It's really easy actually if you're at the rank you should be. I mean if you can win 12 games at diamond then you don't deserve to be in diamond.
AlexCuse44
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:You only have to win 60 games to get the Diamond rewards.

Assuming you're where you should be, rank-wise, that means you should only have to PLAY about 120 games.
Assuming a 4-month season, that averages out to ONE game per day.

That can still be hard for some, and making up for missed days even more so...
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:27 am

Galactic Geek wrote:That can still be hard for some, and making up for missed days even more so...

At a well-padded estimate of 10 minutes per match, that's only 20 hours of play time, over the course of four months.
That works out to playing 5 hours per MONTH.
You can make up for five missed days, by playing for a full hour, on any given day of the week.

At any rate, I'll take that over the alternative.
Psyonix has already tried the "immediate reward" system, and it didn't work.
People did their placement matches, ended up where they were in the previous season, and then parked their accounts.

If you read between the lines of the original post here, the TC is actually asking for exactly that.
He wants Psyonix to give him his rewards, so he can park his account, and not have to play this game so much.
It's for that reason that I support the new system.
It gives the people who actually PLAY the game incentive to do so more often.
NoOne-NBA

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:08 am

What's the big deal behind "parking" your account? You can't force people to play more if they don't want to. Making it harder to earn rewards isn't an appropriate incentive either - all that does is frustrate those who seek said rewards and causes them to give up ranked altogether.
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby littlebigleg on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:33 am

it is needed. especially because of the rank change Psyonix did at the start of this season,A ton of players got boosted way too high by doing well only in there 10 placement matches.I do get though it is harsh on some players who are unlucky enough to hit there top level right on the border of ranking up to the next tier.
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:57 am

Galactic Geek wrote:What's the big deal behind "parking" your account? You can't force people to play more if they don't want to. Making it harder to earn rewards isn't an appropriate incentive either - all that does is frustrate those who seek said rewards and causes them to give up ranked altogether.

This is another case where you can't FORCE people to do something, in this case play the game, but you can INFLUENCE them to do so, especially if they are inclined that way already.

That's what Psyonix is trying to do here.
This method urges people who are going to be active anyway, to play on their primary accounts, by rewarding them for doing so.
Under the old system, those same people were playing almost exclusively on alt-accounts, screwing the matchmaking up worse than it is, and leaving the higher end of the ladder perpetually low on available players.

If it's a choice between losing a few people who are nearly inactive as it is, or having higher skilled players wreaking havoc on the entire ladder, I'll vote for the former every time.
NoOne-NBA

Postby Galactic Geek on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm active, but apparently am no longer considered active enough. What about people like me who fall through the cracks?
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby littlebigleg on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:50 am

Galactic Geek wrote:I'm active, but apparently am no longer considered active enough. What about people like me who fall through the cracks?

you don't get your rewards
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 am

Galactic Geek wrote:I'm active, but apparently am no longer considered active enough. What about people like me who fall through the cracks?

How would giving you a SEASONAL reward, for a SEASON you haven't actually participated in, benefit the game as a whole?

Sure, you'd feel better about yourself because you GOT the reward for this season, based on your performance last season.
You'd feel even better about yourself if you actually EARNED this season's reward though.

At the end of the day, if this is what it takes to keep higher level players on their main accounts, I'm all for it.
That's what I'm looking at here.
What is best for everyone?

When those high level players are on their main accounts, OTHER high level players will get better matches, and will tend to stay on THEIR main accounts as well.
Lower level players, like myself, will also get better matches because those same higher level players won't be down on alt-accounts, kicking the crap out of everyone.
That improves the experience for everyone, with regards to the matchmaking and game balance.
Unless you have a better suggestion, that benefits everyone, this is the one I'm currently backing as "most fair".
NoOne-NBA

Return to General Discussion