Prize Pool and 3 v 3

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Prize Pool and 3 v 3

Postby Nuka-Cola_Quantum on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 am

So, I was wondering why the prize pool for the RLC championship that happened a few days ago was so low? I mean, 50k isnt terrible, dont get me wrong, but this game has a huge playerbase, across every gaming platform, with PC peak players reaching around 200k at the best I've seen. I dont even think that number includes PS4 and PC (I think, I could be wrong) but if it doesnt, then I'm guessing at least double that number across the platforms. 400k players at the same time is huge, yet the prize pool was only 50k.

I only say that the pool was small when I look at the disparity between Dota 2's prize pool and Rocket League's, where Dota 2 has a peak playerbase of about 800k, and it's a pc exclusive so that number is pretty accurate, and their prize pool was 24 MILLION. Why is there such a large gap in prize pool payouts? Will Rocket League have higher payouts in the future? Also I usually play 2 v 2 but I've noticed that Psyonix only holds big tournaments for 3 v 3, why is that? Will there be well-made tournaments organized around 2 v 2 gameplay in the future?

Anyways, not complaining, just curious. I love me some carball, so I'm not anywhere near quitting, I was just curious.

tl;dr - 50k prize pool vs Dota2 24 MILLION, as well as only 3 v 3 featured in tournaments.
Nuka-Cola_Quantum
Supersonic

PSN ID: Artic_Firewolf
Steam ID: Nuka-Cola_Quantum
Region: US
Switch Friend Code: 0

Re: Prize Pool and 3 v 3

Postby Alias on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:37 am

I would have to agree. The money isn't great. But they are upping it each season. I'm guessing the idea is to keep raising it as it grows.
Alias
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Alias

Postby N7Mith on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:09 am

Wasn't it a regional tournament? I don't keep track much but the 2/3 times I tuned in it seemed so. Which means the real big ones are still coming with more money.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:36 am

$55K was just for 1st place at lan. The prize pool for the whole tournament, including the online league play and regional finals was $350000.

PC has never peaked at 200K players either. The all time peak for pc players is 102684 players. http://steamcharts.com/app/252950 and was in April 2016 when the game had a free weekend.

Psyonix established 3v3 as the standard competative mode for whatever reason, so most big tournaments follow it. NBC did do 2v2 tournament, comments about it from current pros were not encouraging, so not sure if it will be done again.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby zGreenMachine- on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:02 pm

N7Mith wrote:Wasn't it a regional tournament? I don't keep track much but the 2/3 times I tuned in it seemed so. Which means the real big ones are still coming with more money.

This past weekend was the world champs
#̶r̶o̶a̶d̶t̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶a̶c̶l̶e̶s̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶i̶v̶e̶r̶e̶p̶
#roadtonorep ?
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST
Switch Friend Code: 1

Postby AlexCuse44 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:12 pm

zGreenMachine- wrote:This past weekend was the world champs

How would you know? it's not like you went or anything :lol:
AlexCuse44
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Postby zGreenMachine- on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 pm

AlexCuse44 wrote:
zGreenMachine- wrote:This past weekend was the world champs

How would you know? it's not like you went or anything :lol:

It's not like I have a pic of dirk and I to prove it 8-)
#roadtonorep ?
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby N7Mith on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 pm

zGreenMachine- wrote:
N7Mith wrote:Wasn't it a regional tournament? I don't keep track much but the 2/3 times I tuned in it seemed so. Which means the real big ones are still coming with more money.

Really? I visit this forum almost everyday, and I knew nothing about RLCS WC? Screw the prizepool, triple the funds for advertising!
Unless I'm so ad-resistant that I mentally block out ads I'd actually want to see :| 8-)

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby zGreenMachine- on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 pm

N7Mith wrote:
zGreenMachine- wrote:

Really? I visit this forum almost everyday, and I knew nothing about RLCS WC? Screw the prizepool, triple the funds for advertising!
Unless I'm so ad-resistant that I mentally block out ads I'd actually want to see :| 8-)

ummm outside of news coming straight from the RL website that one of the devs repost here I don't think there really is much talk about RLCS on the forums. RLCS updates also show up ingame at the main menu but tbh I block out most of that stuff too :laugh: I kinda just go straight to training or into matchmaking
#roadtonorep ?
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby Nuka-Cola_Quantum on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:$55K was just for 1st place at lan. The prize pool for the whole tournament, including the online league play and regional finals was $350000.

PC has never peaked at 200K players either. The all time peak for pc players is 102684 players. http://steamcharts.com/app/252950 and was in April 2016 when the game had a free weekend.

Psyonix established 3v3 as the standard competative mode for whatever reason, so most big tournaments follow it. NBC did do 2v2 tournament, comments about it from current pros were not encouraging, so not sure if it will be done again.

I also looked at the steam charts before I made this post. I understand what Steam charts is saying, but it must only be accounting for individual connections to active games, because just the other day it specifically stated there were 200k people online and like 21k in this playlist. I mean, if I have to I'll take a screenshot, but it's the message I get and I was basing my statement on my first hand account of what psyonix was telling me. Maybe psyonix is accounting for all platforms? IDK, I just know what number I saw on Rocket League.
Nuka-Cola_Quantum
Supersonic

PSN ID: Artic_Firewolf
Steam ID: Nuka-Cola_Quantum
Region: US

Return to General Discussion