3 v afk public games

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

3 v afk public games

Postby Thrillhouse on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 pm

In the past couple days I have found myself joining an incredible amount of games where the other team is afk. I may get one active player on the opposite team, but it's rare. My options then become 5 minutes of scoring every 10 -30 seconds with full replay, or quit only to find myself in another 3 of 6 active player games. I know some games penalize online players for constantly quitting games. I don't know if this is one. I'm thinking the easy option is playing competitive matches over public, but sometimes I just want to play for kicks. I am curious if anyone else is experiencing this.
Thrillhouse
Supersonic

Steam ID: Bathoryswill
Region: United States

Re: 3 v afk public games

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 am

First off, make sure to report all of those players for "Unsportsmanlike Conduct".
Psyonix isn't currently checking to see if players are actually playing, beyond a simple input check.
If people fake their way around that check, Psyonix has to rely on other players to report the AFK ones, so they can take action based on those reports.

This game does base matchmaking on wins/losses, even in Unranked.
It views any quit as a loss, and subtracts the points accordingly.
While that will lower the level of competition you face, it also increases your chances of ending up in matches with AFK players, people who play for the other team, etc...
Ranked usually has less of these players, but even that isn't a complete answer.

My suggestion is to use the time against the AFK players to work on things like wall hits and dribbling.
That will let you win that game, rather than losing it by quitting, which will move you farther away from those players, each time you do it.
That will also improve your chances of winning against people who are actually playing, as you get better at those skills.

As far as "playing for kicks" goes, that's a decision you make for yourself, regardless of which game mode you choose to play.
Having fun is not mutually exclusive to playing Competitive.
If you focus on "progression" and "serious game play", while playing Competitive, it will likely be a frustrating experience.
If you are just looking to have fun, and play some close matches, you'll get more of those in Competitive.
The matchmaking is a bit tighter in Competitive, people quit less, and are more inclined to play because there's something riding on the match.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby OsoMako on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:11 am

I'm mostly experiencing games wherein it takes entirely too long to replace AI for the number of people in the playlist, even in the popular casual modes like 2v2 and 3v3.

Afks not as much, but I'm usually in the top 0.5 - 1% of unranked players, so most people are trying hard.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 am

OsoMako wrote:I'm mostly experiencing games wherein it takes entirely too long to replace AI for the number of people in the playlist, even in the popular casual modes like 2v2 and 3v3.

That could be the matchmaker having troubles balancing the other team to your high MMR.

I play everywhere from Silver to Platinum, rarely ever hit AFK players, and don't have a big problem with the AI getting replaced in a relatively timely manner.
That would lead me to believe there's a sweet spot in the middle, that you don't have to bump up too high to get into, but will eventually bump up high enough to get back out of it, at the top end.

The main thing I run into at my level, in Unranked vs. Competitive, are quitters.
Some people quit every time the other team scores a goal, others come in the game, see they're down a couple goals, and quit back out immediately.
That makes Unranked less attractive to me than Ranked.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Return to General Discussion