Debate: Is this terrible match making?

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Debate: Is this terrible match making?

Postby Tentacles on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 pm

This was taken from solo 3s. The way I see it there is literally no reason for both gold 3s to be on my team, it should have split them up equally. Yes or no?
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Re: Debate: Is this terrible match making?

Postby E_M_E_T on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 pm

No. First of all, you were div 4. That means those gold 3s could have easily been way closer to the other plat 1s in the lobby than you are. In fact, those "Gold 3" players could have had a HIGHER rating than a plat 1, since there is an overlap/safezone between ranks. Your team's total MMR could have been higher than your opponent's total team MMR.
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby zGreenMachine- on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 pm

In addition to what Emet said:

- It was a 1 goal game
- Your teammates are both within 1 rank of you
- You'll lose less points for losing to a higher ranked team
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby Tentacles on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:08 pm

So rank means nothing to you guys? Why not just play casuals then?
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby xkoeckiiej on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Tentacles wrote:So rank means nothing to you guys? Why not just play casuals then?

It does mean something.
And mm is fair as stated above by several others.
xkoeckiiej
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej
Region: EU

Postby OsoMako on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Tentacles wrote:So rank means nothing to you guys? Why not just play casuals then?

Have you ever looked carefully at the points in your signature? Did you ever notice the overlap between division 1 of a higher rank with division 4 of a lower rank? That's what we're talking about. We're saying it could've been perfectly balanced for all you provide in the screenshot.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby Tentacles on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:45 am

Why doesn't MMR = rank? Seems very illogical.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby zGreenMachine- on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:50 am

Tentacles wrote:Why doesn't MMR = rank? Seems very illogical.

As others have said, there is some leeway between ranks. You have to win more games at div 4 than in other divs to move up to the next rank, so that when you do get promoted you get a little buffer zone before you rank back down in case you lose a game or 2 right away. At the same time since you have to win more games in div 4 you kinda have to prove you "belong" in the next rank.

Maybe it's not how YOU would want things to work but it does make sense. Personally I think it's kinda nice to have that buffer zone after you spend all that time grinding away at div 4 :D
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby littlebigleg on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:40 am

zGreenMachine- wrote:
Tentacles wrote:Why doesn't MMR = rank? Seems very illogical.

As others have said, there is some leeway between ranks. You have to win more games at div 4 than in other divs to move up to the next rank, so that when you do get promoted you get a little buffer zone before you rank back down in case you lose a game or 2 right away. At the same time since you have to win more games in div 4 you kinda have to prove you "belong" in the next rank.

Maybe it's not how YOU would want things to work but it does make sense. Personally I think it's kinda nice to have that buffer zone after you spend all that time grinding away at div 4 :D

on the other hand,at the moment tenticals rating on solo standard is only 817,and hes div 4,so would need quite a lot of wins to hit plat 2,you can get unlucky draws with mmr
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:08 am

Wouldn't say it's terrible, but the fact there's a smurf in there basically sums up the current state of ranked.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby Tentacles on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:49 am

Another counter point why allow people to have an MMR higher than the rank they are in? What purpose does that serve?
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Tentacles wrote:Another counter point why allow people to have an MMR higher than the rank they are in? What purpose does that serve?

It keeps people from crying about their "Rank going up and down with every win/loss".
People were constantly complaining about teetering between one rank and the next, and how it affected them psychologically, so Psyonix "fixed" that by requiring everyone to earn enough points to jump from Div 4 to Div 2 on the way up, or lose enough to drop from Div 1 to Div 4 on the way down.

That's probably a big factor in the screenshot you posted.
We can't see the actual rank points of anyone in that match, so there's no way to tell which team had higher rank points.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby E_M_E_T on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Hey tentacles, perhaps you should actually READ the responses before replying. How about that? You wanna see pain? THIS is pain... I was on a 9 game winstreak in solo-standard then this shit happens.

E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby Tentacles on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm just keeping the debate going. I see both sides. Your picture shows what people would consider a normal match in bronze to plat level, however, at your rank you consider it a problem? My picture is a very minimal difference and according to everyone's response than I should have been paired with plat 2s, not got gold teammates. It's these little details that ruin MM IMO.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Tentacles wrote:...according to everyone's response than I should have been paired with plat 2s, not got gold teammates. It's these little details that ruin MM IMO.

That's not what was being said.
People were saying you were getting close to being matched AGAINST Plat 2s.

YOU were IN Plat 1, nearing Plat 2, your teammates were likely nearing Plat 1.
You got matched against 3 players who were somewhere in the Plat 1 range.
Depending on exactly where in Plat 1 those three players were, that was a very even matchup, as shown by the final score.
Either team could have had the higher overall rank points in your example.

At any rate, those are the matches I play this game to get.
I don't care if I'm on the split skill team, or the evenly skilled team, as long as the match is good.
I lost FIVE overtime games in a row the other night, to drop back out of Platinum, and considered that a particularly successful night.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby N7Mith on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:50 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:At any rate, those are the matches I play this game to get.
I don't care if I'm on the split skill team, or the evenly skilled team, as long as the match is good.
I lost FIVE overtime games in a row the other night, to drop back out of Platinum, and considered that a particularly successful night.

It sure gets the blood pumping :) I don't understand the need to be salty when it's such a close game. The other day I had an epic 0-0 game that ended after 8 minutes. Everyone was playing well, good rotation, good shots and great saves. We lost, and immediately one guy on our team started calling us noobs and blaming me for missing the last shot, etc etc. People are so childish.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby G-Lew41 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:20 am

Those that don't like the ranked system all have one thing in common : they don't care at all about the quality of the games; they only care about their own rank and they actively seek out ways that the matchmaking system has wronged them while ignoring the obvious. The only thing anyone should care about when it comes to matchmaking is whether or not they are being put into quality games. Tentacles, you lost 3-2. The game literally could not have been any closer. And you're complaining about the matchmaking system, and this is the example you chose to demonstrate your point? Come on, dude.

You've been averaging over 2 posts per day on this forum for 20 months - and 95% of those posts contain some complaint about this game. Why the hell are you still playing it?
G-Lew41
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: G-Lew41

Postby Tentacles on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:52 pm

^ Yes and no, I do care about my rank and if my MMR says I can play against champion 3 and I win I do feel like I should have that badge. The game in question was extremely close because I made it close I play at champ level(when comcast allows it), but if it was a normal plat 1 that game would have been a blowout. Also, I believe rank in this game should mean something, however, in the current system it means nothing. MMR should match rank end of story.

As for your last question Rocket League is still my favorite game even though it's highly flawed it's easy to tell that the devs are indie. I will keep giving my 2 cents in hope that my favorite game will become perfectly balanced for all.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby G-Lew41 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:27 pm

You shouldn't care what your rank is or what ranks you are getting paired with. That's the point that you keep missing. You're making irrelevant arguments until you demonstrate that you are consistently playing games that are not competitive. I'll get on board with you at that point.

MMR does match rank for the most part. It just doesn't for those on the verge of leveling up an entire rank (not just a division) or down an entire rank. This is a good thing. This prevents the case of someone leveling up a rank only to drop again after just a game or two. This has been explained to you several times now. If your rank equaled your MMR at those transition stages, you'd just be here bitching about dropping in rank after losing just one or two games - and you know you would be. In fact, I bet you HAVE bitched about it in these forums because that's the way it used to be.
G-Lew41
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: G-Lew41

Postby Tentacles on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:59 am

G-Lew41 wrote:You shouldn't care what your rank is or what ranks you are getting paired with. That's the point that you keep missing. You're making irrelevant arguments until you demonstrate that you are consistently playing games that are not competitive. I'll get on board with you at that point.

MMR does match rank for the most part. It just doesn't for those on the verge of leveling up an entire rank (not just a division) or down an entire rank. This is a good thing. This prevents the case of someone leveling up a rank only to drop again after just a game or two. This has been explained to you several times now. If your rank equaled your MMR at those transition stages, you'd just be here bitching about dropping in rank after losing just one or two games - and you know you would be. In fact, I bet you HAVE bitched about it in these forums because that's the way it used to be.

Just because something isn't important to you(which you are probably lying about otherwise you wouldn't play ranked), doesn't mean it can't hold value to many other people, you just sound ignorant. I believe rank should be more important than MMR, you don't. No need to get your panties in a twist.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Next

Return to General Discussion