Hours to Rank

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Hours to Rank

Postby BlueTripMLG on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Hey there. I have almost 600 hours in this game. I've wasted so much time. I play keyboard mouse and have tried unsuccessfully to switch to an Xbox controller. I'm gold 1 at best and silver 1 at worst. I usually play like gold 1, but if I get super triggered, I drop. I feel completely useless having such a low rank when people have much higher ranks with half the time. Hell, I saw a post about a guy with 500 hours who was in the top hundred (this probably isn't true). I feel addicted to this game and feel like I should be so much better. I have devoted so much time and yet am so complete shit. Please tell me how many hours you have and your rank so I can feel more depressed.
And if you say I'm doing this for attention, why in hell would I post something about how shit I am so people can just laugh?
:redmad:
BlueTripMLG
Supersonic

Steam ID: BlueTripMLG
Region: Steam

Re: Hours to Rank

Postby Rufmeister on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 pm

BlueTripMLG wrote:Hey there. I have almost 600 hours in this game. I've wasted so much time. I play keyboard mouse and have tried unsuccessfully to switch to an Xbox controller. I'm gold 1 at best and silver 1 at worst. I usually play like gold 1, but if I get super triggered, I drop. I feel completely useless having such a low rank when people have much higher ranks with half the time. Hell, I saw a post about a guy with 500 hours who was in the top hundred (this probably isn't true). I feel addicted to this game and feel like I should be so much better. I have devoted so much time and yet am so complete shit. Please tell me how many hours you have and your rank so I can feel more depressed.
And if you say I'm doing this for attention, why in hell would I post something about how shit I am so people can just laugh?

One of the best ways I feel I've improved is by watching pro teams or pro players on Yourube or Twitch and then go into free play and practice them myself! I have 2,000 hours across all platforms but my most recent account has the ranks below...
Rufmeister

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby BlueTripMLG on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:20 pm

That was a quick reply. I'm surprised you didn't take it down because of the cursing. Thanks for the response.
BlueTripMLG
Supersonic

Steam ID: BlueTripMLG
Region: Steam

Postby Tentacles on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 pm

I've seen a rocketeer over 1000+ hours in silver and I've seen a semi pro at super champ. Hours mean nothing.
Tentacles
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby E_M_E_T on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 pm

posts don't get taken down for cursing... my post history is pretty good evidence for that.

you'll get better a lot faster if you switch to controller. The entire concept of a mouse does not align well at all with 3-dimensional control of a car, and there's no way around it without using a controller. The biggest difference is probably the fact that on keyboard, the button for throttle is the same as tilting forward, and reverse is the same as tilting backwards. The fact that you can have a joystick in one hand and the throttle on the other is better for driving simply because it's more intuitive and practical. There's also no good way of moving your camera manually, and if you want to be really good at the game you need to be able to look anywhere on the field, and that's where the second joystick creates a large advantage for controllers.

Go to training, do some freeplay or some packs once you've fully tried it. It's 100% better than trying to play with random people online. Playing against bots is actually better still because they are predictable, consistently at a very specific skill level, and you can more easily gauge your improvement. As with anything in life, really, you need to be patient to get better. Don't judge yourself based on the number of hours you have, because in the end no one else cares.

Trust me, I know how difficult it is to change control schemes. Hell, changing from hold-cam to toggle-cam took a few weeks of playing every single day before it started to feel natural, and that's just a preference change of ONE BUTTON! If you've never played a racing game with a controller, you're going to have to start all over mechanically. You're going to rank down obviously, but you'll get back up much quicker than the first time because now you have a better understanding of tactics and rotation than others who are just getting the game for the first time.

Tentacles, that semipro you saw at superchamp was most likely a smurf. I see the occasional Pro or Semi-Pro at Champion 2 and 3 and they are always smurfs
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby littlebigleg on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:15 am

BlueTripMLG wrote:Hey there. I have almost 600 hours in this game. I've wasted so much time. I play keyboard mouse and have tried unsuccessfully to switch to an Xbox controller. I'm gold 1 at best and silver 1 at worst. I usually play like gold 1, but if I get super triggered, I drop. I feel completely useless having such a low rank when people have much higher ranks with half the time. Hell, I saw a post about a guy with 500 hours who was in the top hundred (this probably isn't true). I feel addicted to this game and feel like I should be so much better. I have devoted so much time and yet am so complete shit. Please tell me how many hours you have and your rank so I can feel more depressed.

set yourself realistic goals,im a rocketeer and have been for a long time,i am a gold player ,getting to platinum was my holy grail in doubles and i managed it very briefly,So my season has been a total success to me personally.And thats all that really matters at the end of the day
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby OsoMako on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:14 am

Cursing is fine, generally. Just don't curse AT others, i.e. don't be a dick.

I've way too many hours at 2500 and only champ in one rank right now. I could get it in a few more, and probably get Champ 2 if I really buckled down, but I don't like trying that hard at the game anymore. It's too stressful. I like to play well, but I like to have fun with it as well. I'm not going pro, so I should have fun with the game because it is a game.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby UnknownMaster21 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:22 am

Hmm.... I have played soon 1500 hours but I am most likely stuck at Diamond 3 - Champion 1, while probably my real rank is somewhere middle of Diamond 1. My problem for gameplay is that I am horrible to use ball cam, so seeing the ball/opponents from dead angle requires lots of predicts. Another factor indeed is that I am way too unstable. I play one game like Silver-Gold rank guys, but sometimes, although rarely, can face anyone and make the games tight.

I have looked before how pros play, but as they use ball cam constantly, I learn a lot, but can't adapt it at all. So, need to find other strong methods to improve yourself, regardless of any.
UnknownMaster21
Supersonic

Steam ID: UnknownMaster21
Region: EU

Postby xkoeckiiej on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:38 am

OsoMako wrote:Cursing is fine, generally. Just don't curse AT others, i.e. don't be a dick.

I've way too many hours at 2500 and only champ in one rank right now. I could get it in a few more, and probably get Champ 2 if I really buckled down, but I don't like trying that hard at the game anymore. It's too stressful. I like to play well, but I like to have fun with it as well. I'm not going pro, so I should have fun with the game because it is a game.

Doing the same thing, some "pro stuff nationally like belgium/dutch lans but thats just lots of fun to do.
1k~1.2k hours in the alpha, was top 10 powerrankings for lil while.
Now at approx 2900 hours with 18-20 hours per 2 weeks.
Having waaay more fun now than i had back then.
xkoeckiiej
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej
Region: EU

Postby PMGS247 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:00 am

Everyone has a different learning curve and skill ceiling. I'm probably somewhere around 1500 hours...my rank tends to swing between high gold and low plat. I could dedicate myself and get better but at this point that would just burn me out...not that I haven't always been playing for fun but at this point I'm over the grind to improve; watching hours of youtube and spending hours in free play are no longer fun.

At 600 hours though you're still in the prime spot for grinding improvement. You're out of the super fast improvement curve, but still early enough in your playing time to not be risking a burn-out. Great suggestionsin this thread, tough to add much other than you should switch to controller. It gets worse before it gets better...I'd guess at 600 hours deep it would take a few weeks to a month playing a couple hours a day just to get back to as good as you were with kb/mouse. I guarantee 12 months from today you will be a higher rank with controller than you would be with kb/mouse, but I also guarantee you'll absolutely SUCK for the first 1-2 months before you catch up/surpass where you are now. If you haven't given the controller least a month, it's much more likely that you just have to dedicate more time and take your lumps in the learning curve than it is that you're the 1 in a thousand case where your brain just can't handle controllers.
PMGS247
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: PMGS247

Postby N7Mith on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:56 am

I'm scared to find out how many hours I actually put in this game while still being stuck at platinum. Must be close to 4000.
:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Extraordinarily Talkative
Extraordinarily Talkative

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby OsoMako on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 am

N7Mith wrote:I'm scared to find out how many hours I actually put in this game while still being stuck at platinum. Must be close to 4000.

I'm definitely getting resentful of my hour count. It's nearing that of actual pro players, so anyone who looks me up with the intent of berating me has plenty of hours of ammo to work with. Doesn't mean I'm going to make my profile private, just annoys me a bit. :?
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Return to General Discussion