Developers not worried about optimization because of greed

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Developers not worried about optimization because of greed

Postby jackattack121 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:13 am

This game could be a truly amazing Esport. I feel like the developers have become so enveloped by greed that they only tend to focus on making new crates to make people buy keys for cosmetic items. Optimization seems to have gone out of the window. Physics haven't been perfected (least of my worries). I get kicked from Xbox for 15 minutes because my game crashes, so I play another game. My friends have almost quit the game all together because of this. I've tried to play on PC, but the game requires me to hardwire my pc to the internet (maybe the maps and models are too complicated)? I've tried speaking to customer service, but their customer service mimics that of a huge company like Comcast (basically the worst customer service available). This game could be absolutely amazing, but the dev's have become too focused on making money instead of improving their game. In conclusion, fix your f'in game before you worry about monetizing the s*** out of it, because people will be more likely to spend money on something that they like. If not, some other as*hat is going to make a game that is the same thing with better dev's and customer service that will destroy this game. It will take over, and you will be left wondering why your sh** crates haven't made your game as big of a success as it could be.
jackattack121
Supersonic

Steam ID: hatefulhawk

Re: Developers not worried about optimization because of gre

Postby N7Mith on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:25 am

They have done plenty optimization efforts. Some work better than others, and there are plenty issues to work out still. But greed is not (completely) focussing their attention elsewhere.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Volodesi on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:35 am

I can run the game at 250+ FPS if I remove the cap. So i'd say it's damn well optimized.

Not to mention. Pretty much every major patch has adjustments to the maps to help with FPS.

When I lived in Iowa, I had connection issues. It ended up being Media Com's problem... I called them up and we got it fixed. I am not living in Minnesota and using Comcast and I haven't had much of a problem yet. Also live in an apartment, so congestion could be an issue. But I have yet to see it.

Xbox One version does have optimization issues. But that is handled by 3rd party company. As it is a port.

If you can't play without being hardwired on PC. You should download an app that looks at WiFi Signals and make sure you're not broadcasting on a congested channel. I use WiFi Analyzer for Android.
Volodesi

Postby Tentacles on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:03 pm

The game is probably optimized fairly well except on consoles. But the terrible servers ruin this game bad.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Skaldy on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:45 am

This game is an amazing piece of work, and it even runs OK on old hardware with low video options. I hope they upgrade the Unreal engine one day though.

Most player dissatisfaction is usually the fault of Windows Update, WiFi, ISPs and the internet in general. Actual Psyonix server problems are much less common.

And, as a low-ping player, I think their ping compensation algorithm is too generous but I can accept the need for it in order to maintain player counts in some regions. Similarly, the server tick rate is debatable but understandable.
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Region: EU

Postby Volodesi on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:12 am

On the subject of server tick-rates...

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/c ... r/dguny50/

Psyonix_Cone wrote:
"Man this is a bigass thread, I'm sure this comment will get lost. Servers run physics at 120hz, just like clients. They actually "tick" at 60hz, which means on average they run 2 physics frames per tick. This is also true for clients that are running at 60 fps.

Replays are recorded at 30hz. Replay playback tries to fill in the gaps as best it can using a combination of prediction and interpolation. Client replays are not the exact same data that is recorded in server replays. It's a recording of the data that the server live-streamed to the client. This means it doesn't record the really bad stuff from client prediction, but it's also not a perfect copy of the server's data. The server's data arriving on the client suffers from compression, network jitter, and dropped packets, so there is a loss of information. Ideally the replays that clients save would just be a copy of the server's replay, but that would require downloading the replay from the server at the end of the match. Hopefully one day we'll be able to do that, or maybe even something better.

Just glancing at the linked gifs - looks like the behavior when a high-latency client mis-predicts the out come of a collision. Due to latency the client just simply didn't have all the information he needed to make a correct prediction. This is always especially bad on kickoffs where the outcome is pretty unpredictable in general, and made worse by players drastically changing their input moments before impact. I'm curious what the latency is in "Example 1", just counting in my head it looks like 200-300 ms.

Volodesi

Postby Prophet 999 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Volodesi wrote:I can run the game at 250+ FPS if I remove the cap. So i'd say it's damn well optimized.

Not to mention. Pretty much every major patch has adjustments to the maps to help with FPS.

When I lived in Iowa, I had connection issues. It ended up being Media Com's problem... I called them up and we got it fixed. I am not living in Minnesota and using Comcast and I haven't had much of a problem yet. Also live in an apartment, so congestion could be an issue. But I have yet to see it.

Xbox One version does have optimization issues. But that is handled by 3rd party company. As it is a port.

If you can't play without being hardwired on PC. You should download an app that looks at WiFi Signals and make sure you're not broadcasting on a congested channel. I use WiFi Analyzer for Android.

As someone who is well versed in networking, servers, and the like, and who plays on Steam and Xbox, I will vouch for horrendous performance on Xbox.

It appears to have a memory leak. After 30-60 minutes it starts getting choppy and frame drops, all while I maintain a low ping in 20s to 40s.

Ive had laggy games when selecting incorrect regions and this is definitely different. It feels like Im playing with a severely inadequate video card. I have probably 10-15 individuaps I play with who have all experienced this, and it is only fixed with a hard reset on xbox, which would resolve memory leak issues. This all seemed to start with the new hyperspeed items from season rewards and crates.
I don't always ragequit, but when I do, I do it in ranked.
Prophet 999
Community Helper
Community Helper

Steam ID: Prophet4321
GamerTag: Prophet 999
Region: US

Postby Hayaweh on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:43 am

Haha. Well. How do you keep working on a game if you don't monetize it? You need money to keep working on it. And server maintenance + ports + dev + PR + office rent + etc.. costs a fair amount of money... But once again. I can see some people that won't even do the effort of looking on the internet about a subject before spitting on it. :|

For your PC issues, blame it on your Wifi more than anything. I had issues when I was in Wifi and that was not the fault of the game. If it was, it would struggle the same over cabled...
As for the Xbox. You're not the first one to say it runs not amazingly.. But well. It's a more limited hardware as well.. And it depends on if Psyonix is directly responsible for the work done on the port. Which I highly doubt! :)
Hayaweh
Acrobatic

Steam ID: [NB] Hayaweh
Region: United Kingdom

Postby PocketFullOfSunshine on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:48 am

Volodesi wrote:I can run the game at 250+ FPS if I remove the cap. So i'd say it's damn well optimized.

Hey, watch your language. If you were to say such a word in-game you could be banned! Please refrain from using that kind of language here, especially as a moderator!
PocketFullOfSunshine
Acrobatic

Postby Volodesi on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:21 am

PocketFullOfSunshine wrote:

Hey, watch your language. If you were to say such a word in-game you could be banned! Please refrain from using that kind of language here, especially as a moderator!

No I wouldn't. :roll: I say damn and shit all the time in-game. It's pretty obvious what you can and can't say in-game.
Volodesi

Postby Rufmeister on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:28 am

Volodesi wrote:

No I wouldn't. :roll: I say damn and shit all the time in-game. It's pretty obvious what you can and can't say in-game.

What a save!
Rufmeister

Steam ID: Rufmeister
Region: US-West

Postby PocketFullOfSunshine on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Volodesi wrote:

Directly from support:

"I can confirm though that the list of banned words includes offensive words and short forms from multiple languages and includes such things as racial slurs, homophopic terms or sexism as well the standard "swear words"

Allyce
Rocket League Support"

Check yourself before you wreck yourself. #fail
PocketFullOfSunshine
Acrobatic

Postby N7Mith on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 am

You still have to reach a threshold and be reported to get banned though.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:39 am

PocketFullOfSunshine wrote:If you were to say such a word in-game you could be banned!

"COULD be banned" is the operative phrase in that post.

As the auto-ban system has been explained, it requires three components to earn a ban.
1) You must offend another person, to the point they report you.
2) You must have used a word that is on the list of unacceptable words.
3) You must have used that word enough to cross the banning threshold for that particular word.

If you use an "offensive" word in company that is not "offended" by it, you won't get reported.
If the word you used isn't on the list, the report has to be manually reviewed, which may or may not result in a ban, depending on how offensive the reviewer finds your comments.
If you used an offensive word, but haven't used that particular word enough to cross the threshold for it, you won't be banned...yet.
Once you do cross that threshold though, you will get a ban for that word.

The big thing to take from this is to not be a dick to people.
Nobody I know is going to report you for saying "Sometimes I really hate this ******* game", even if you don't censor the words.
If you call your teammate a "worthless ******* noob", we'll report you in a heartbeat, even if you DO censor the words.

It's the attitude we don't want in our games, and are "offended" by, not the words.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Return to General Discussion