The new ban system is actually retarded..

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Re: The new ban system is actually retarded..

Postby generatedname on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:10 am

I get pissed off by players pretty regularly who only use the arrow keys to talk.

They can't hit the ball once but if I miss a block then they spam "wow wow wow" like a sarcastic 13 year old.

Give a terrible pass then spam "Take the shot!".

"Nice Shot!" on a miss. "What a save!" on a miss.

Most toxic players are not typing a word. This ban system is majorly punishing the victims of the toxic sarcastic kids ruining the game.

Is there a plan to identify quick chat abuse? Should we just remove all communication from the game?
generatedname
Supersonic

Steam ID: generatedname

Postby generatedname on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:23 am

Lumikai wrote:
Haarek wrote:Why not mute people for saying "bad" words?

Why not avoid typing "bad" words?

Regardless of what the punishment is, how are you so bad at 'not' typing something? I mean, you don't need to do anything to not type something, it's the easiest thing.

the evolution of "bad word" is slippery. what's offensive tomorrow is not what's offensive today. banning someone for saying bad words is essentially removing the written word from the game. there wasn't even a warning given to let me know which word I need to avoid saying so I have no clue why I'm banned right now and probably nothing I say to anyone about anything will be acceptable by the end of the year with how fast our language is becoming offensive to everyone.

a ban for language that they hard coded in is such a passive aggressive move. there are other options:

don't allow the text to be shown if it contains the words from the list.
filter the words from the text.
give players the option to see the filtered words or not (profanity filter has been around, and worked like a charm, in online games since online games were a thing).
stop letting potty mouths type text
and others I'm sure that I cannot think of right now. the point is, the ban is uneccessary and displays a flaw in the devs' critical thinking and ethics. this decision needs to be reevaluated.
generatedname
Supersonic

Steam ID: generatedname

Postby littlebigleg on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:58 am

the easiest way to not get a ban would be to stop being a dick to strangers in an online game.pretty simple really .
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby evokno on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:14 am

OP is so rude and really strong on the Internet, also really irresponsible since there are a lot of children that play the game and don't comprehend the repercussions. Imature.
evokno
Supersonic

PSN ID: evokno
Region: EU

Postby spoons on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:15 am

littlebigleg wrote:the easiest way to not get a ban would be to stop being a dick to strangers in an online game.pretty simple really .

Not really, you can be a dick in far more creative ways than typing 20 words. You just have to be a dick with half a brain...
spoons
Acrobatic

Postby littlebigleg on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:21 am

spoons wrote:
littlebigleg wrote:the easiest way to not get a ban would be to stop being a dick to strangers in an online game.pretty simple really .

Not really, you can be a dick in far more creative ways than typing 20 words. You just have to be a dick with half a brain...

if thats what rocks yer boat kid
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:45 pm

generatedname wrote:don't allow the text to be shown if it contains the words from the list.
filter the words from the text.
give players the option to see the filtered words or not (profanity filter has been around, and worked like a charm, in online games since online games were a thing).
stop letting potty mouths type text.

That doesn't actually address the underlying problem though, which is people incessantly bitching at their teammates.
I don't want to see somebody calling their teammate a "worthless ******* ******" the entire game, any more than I want to see them do so with the words uncensored.

My solution to this problem would be to institute chat bans of increasing length, prior to the full game bans.
I would couple this with a visible marker, informing everyone else in the game that a particular player is currently unable to use text chat, as well as having an utterly obnoxious reminder pop up on the banned player's screen, every that player tries to use chat while banned.

It's not that hard to not be a dick to other people.
If you can't master that, maybe this isn't the game for you.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby OsoMako on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:05 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:My solution to this problem would be to institute chat bans of increasing length, prior to the full game bans.
I would couple this with a visible marker, informing everyone else in the game that a particular player is currently unable to use text chat

I like the idea of shaming the offending player a bit for being toxic. Does that make me toxic? Hmm ... :frown:
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby PocketFullOfSunshine on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 pm

I'm just going to post this now whenever I see a thread related to the auto ban system: https://i.redd.it/vqdy6y2p55ny.jpg
PocketFullOfSunshine
Acrobatic

Postby midnightgreen20 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:16 am

I'll still propose the idea that having player-created lobbies would be a much more effective fix to this problem. Let the players sort out the toxicity themselves
midnightgreen20
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midnightgreen20
Region: United States

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 am

midnightgreen20 wrote:I'll still propose the idea that having player-created lobbies would be a much more effective fix to this problem. Let the players sort out the toxicity themselves

That's been my suggested solution, from Day 1.

I run a group who gets together a couple times a week, to just play and have fun together.
The problem we have, with the current server setup, is that nobody can see us when we put up a private server.
That means nobody can "accidentally" find our community, and decide to join.

We never had a problem with toxic players in CarBall because a group of us owned literally all the servers that played it.
That let us ban whomever we wanted, whenever we wanted, for whatever we wanted.
To a lesser extent, the Low-Grav Instagib community I belonged to in previous versions of Unreal Tournament, also had control of a large portion of the available LGI servers.

The admins on those servers were in close contact, on a regular basis, and would share user names and IPs for banned players.
If you came into any server in our ring, and created a disturbance there, you got banned from ALL the servers in our ring.
People are much nicer, when faced with a community wide ban like that.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Rawket Legger on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:05 am

Turn off the chat. Just turn it off. Impossible to get another ban, and you can focus on playing the game.

If you're not having fun and resort to calling other gamers retarded, you're playing the wrong game.
Rawket Legger
Supersonic

PSN ID: Kixylix
Steam ID: kixy
GamerTag: Kixylix

Postby midnightgreen20 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:34 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
midnightgreen20 wrote:I'll still propose the idea that having player-created lobbies would be a much more effective fix to this problem. Let the players sort out the toxicity themselves

That's been my suggested solution, from Day 1.

I run a group who gets together a couple times a week, to just play and have fun together.
The problem we have, with the current server setup, is that nobody can see us when we put up a private server.
That means nobody can "accidentally" find our community, and decide to join.

That's why it should be private to join but not private to view in the browser. Then if someone may be interested they contact the admin and are invited in.
midnightgreen20
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midnightgreen20

Postby spoons on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 pm

littlebigleg wrote:
spoons wrote:

if thats what rocks yer boat kid

See you are already getting it. Using kid as the pejorative instead of the go to throw away profanity that everyone uses. You already understand how to be a dick very well.
spoons
Acrobatic

Postby littlebigleg on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:03 pm

your not a kid? your joking with me now?
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Hayaweh on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 am

What about just not saying anything, playing the game....

There's a keyword here. Game. Too many people take it way too seriously.
Hayaweh
Acrobatic

Steam ID: [NB] Hayaweh
Region: United Kingdom

Postby TheVictim on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 am

yes it is the lamest and weakest policy in gaming yet. congrats psyonix. its clear to us now that you have no real vision .
TheVictim
Acrobatic

Postby TheVictim on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:13 am

Hayaweh wrote:What about just not saying anything, playing the game....

There's a keyword here. Game. Too many people take it way too seriously.

yeah like when they get mad and report people for a word. lol too seriously is right.
TheVictim
Acrobatic

Postby TheVictim on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:25 am

also, FYI to all you completely misinformed people

"retard' is NOT profanity. please see the definition here;

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/retard

"Delay or hold back in terms of progress or development."

so yeah, get over yourselves.
TheVictim
Acrobatic

Postby littlebigleg on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:35 am

NOUN

Pronunciation /ˈriːtɑːd/
informal, offensive
A person who has a mental disability (often used as a general term of abuse).

you should read your own links
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion