The new ban system is actually retarded..

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Re: The new ban system is actually retarded..

Postby xkoeckiiej on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:44 am

Ive said "what a retarded game" for 2 weeks 70% of the matches (to check it for banning)
Nothing happened so far
Guess im lucky
xkoeckiiej
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej
Region: EU

Postby IJx on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:22 am

The system was created in attempt to help to realize the dream of returning to supersonic acrobatic rocket-powered battle-car fields where good sense of sportmanship, honor and respect of the opponent and team mates was a standard model of behavior. Many people do not understand how much it affects your state of mind to play only on servers where nobody promotes aggressive behavior or verbal harassment, where the overall mood remains friendly at all times. That is the reason I miss the alpha, we had absolutely no 'toxicity' and if somebody behaved that way, the behavior was discouraged by others.

Now, if you choose to repeat the offense of verbal harassment, for example, it is only natural the system takes you underneath a watchful eye after repeated offenses, and one report may just be enough to remind you to stop the behavior that is no longer welcome in the game. Choose you to continue resisting this change of behavior from an unwelcome guest to a respectable player, you may do so at your volition and risk of being banned.
#whereismyCosmic
IJx

PSN ID: IJayfunk
Steam ID: IJ

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:02 am

spoons wrote:Can i just start typing everything with stars ingame, whilst still being toxic i am only doing what a moderator considers ok, who is totally in agreement with the banning system.

You can do whatever you want, but I wouldn't recommend it.
For a less risky approach, you can TRY "Psyonix is banning people for that".
It probably won't go over really well though, and will likely just cause that person to go crazy with their behavior, to test out your claim.

spoons wrote:I mean at the end of the day its the word itself that matters right? not whats actually meant by the whole context of whats said.

As someone else mentioned, the words are only triggers for the auto-ban system.
You can still be banned for being verbally offensive to others, regardless of the actual words used.
Those reports have to go through the manual review system though, so you won't see the results as immediately as you will with the auto-bans.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby E_M_E_T on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 am

If it smells like dogshit wherever you go, check under your shoe
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby spoons on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 am

Lumikai wrote:
spoons wrote:This banning system is so ass backwards because im still just the exact same asshole i was before i just don't use profanity.
Psyonoix trying to modify peoples behaviour and failing miserably.

They have modified your behaviour though, you don't use profanity in game anymore. If the goal is to clean up Rocket League then dissuading people from using profanity is surely a step in the right direction? You not using profanity show's the system is having a positive impact.

Also, the manual report checking and bans are still used. The auto-ban just get's the most toxic with the least self-control. So keep being an asshole and getting reported, and I expect eventually you'll be banned even without profanity.

I generally never used profanity, maybe a handful of times in points where something really frustrated me. Im generally pretty clever with being toxic to the point it would probably be unbannable in most cases if reported because its always generally neutral enough to not be considered toxic but written in a way that who ever its directed at knows exactly what i mean. Usually a perfect way to bring their profanity out and then i just report them. With some of the responses i have gotten out of people I'm almost certain they will have been banned. Its like a whole new game within the game.
spoons
Acrobatic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:48 am

spoons wrote:Im generally pretty clever with being toxic to the point it would probably be unbannable in most cases if reported because its always generally neutral enough to not be considered toxic but written in a way that who ever its directed at knows exactly what i mean.

"It doesn't work on me" isn't a good enough argument, to me, to justify scrapping the entire system, rather than enforcing it against the people it DOES work on.
That's like saying "I always turn on red without stopping anyway, so we should just get rid of all traffic lights".
NoOne-NBA

Postby Lumikai on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 am

spoons wrote:I generally never used profanity, maybe a handful of times in points where something really frustrated me.

Yeah, so this system isn't really targetting you. The auto-ban system isn't meant to prevent all toxicity, it's just one weapon of a few and is being used to stamp out profanity/racism etc in chat.

spoons wrote:Im generally pretty clever with being toxic to the point it would probably be unbannable in most cases if reported because its always generally neutral enough to not be considered toxic but written in a way that who ever its directed at knows exactly what i mean.

If your level of toxic is so subtle that a human reviewing all of your reports doesn't think you are of concern or worthy of a ban, then you're probably not the same level of troll that most of us care about getting rid of. You may get a rise out of the odd person who rages easily, but you can do that by just playing badly in this game.
Lumikai
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby wsupchris1222444 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:04 am

Tentacles wrote:PoS thinks it is ok to throw around words like "retarded".

The removal of Neo Tokyo has improved the game for the majority of players
wsupchris1222444
Acrobatic

PSN ID: wsupchris1222444
Steam ID: wsupchris1222444
Region: US

Postby fluxation on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:45 am

It is a competitive environment and they are expecting people not to get angry and swear at eachother it makes no sense, there is a mute button there for a reason, but they would rather ban people from saying 'bad' words because they are thought police.
fluxation
Supersonic

Steam ID: flux//
Region: EUW - UK

Postby fluxation on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:51 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:There was nothing "arrogant" in that post.
It was all friendly advice that you can take or leave at your own peril.

I was specifically telling you about the perma-ban that is staring you in the face because it didn't appear you knew that, based on your "30 day" comment.
Then I gave you advice on the best way to avoid that ban.

It's all up to you, from that point on.

How is telling someone to shut the fuck up and play not arrogant? if anything it's obnoxious, I feel offended by you saying that to me.
Psyonix pls ban him he's hurting my feelings :(
fluxation
Supersonic

Postby fluxation on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:54 am

Lumikai wrote:
spoons wrote:This banning system is so ass backwards because im still just the exact same asshole i was before i just don't use profanity.
Psyonoix trying to modify peoples behaviour and failing miserably.

They have modified your behaviour though, you don't use profanity in game anymore. If the goal is to clean up Rocket League then dissuading people from using profanity is surely a step in the right direction? You not using profanity show's the system is having a positive impact.

Also, the manual report checking and bans are still used. The auto-ban just get's the most toxic with the least self-control. So keep being an asshole and getting reported, and I expect eventually you'll be banned even without profanity.

I also refrain from using 'bad' words now, I am just really sarcastic which gets people as equally annoyed and you can't get banned for it :) So im still toxic but because I'm not using trigger words im not banned.
fluxation
Supersonic

Postby fluxation on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:57 am

Tentacles wrote:I can see why OP got banned, PoS thinks it is ok to throw around words like "retarded". Get banned more, your intolerance is disgusting.

Triggered b0ys, another snowflake, what ever happened to sticks and stones, grow up. What would you do is someone said that infront of you, call the police?
fluxation
Supersonic

Postby fluxation on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm

I would honestly prefer they just perma ban me from using chat, I genuinley can't refrain from being toxic when I get angry, like when my team mates who are doing much worse than me are flaming me with: what a save and nice shot's, after every attempt.
fluxation
Supersonic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:17 pm

fluxation wrote:How is telling someone to shut the fuck up and play not arrogant?

Re-read my original post.
There is nothing arrogant about it.

Firstly, I wasn't TELLING him to "shut the **** up".
I was SUGGESTING he adopt the same policy I'm already using myself, which is the "shut the **** up, and play" method.
That method, which requires that you refrain from posting anything that could even be misinterpreted as offensive, and concentrate on playing, has been very effective at preventing further bans.
I guess I could have told him "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", but I'm not my Mom, sorry.

Anybody who sees suggesting somebody do the same thing I'm already doing, to prevent undesirable repercussions for their behavior, as "arrogant", is going to have a hard time in this world.
That's doubly true if they don't learn to factor in the intent behind statements like this, rather than simply parsing the words within the statement itself.
That intent was clearly stated in the original post as well.
I was trying to help the guy avoid a situation he finds undesirable.

For the record, actively trying to help other people find more happiness in life is pretty much the exact opposite of "arrogant".
NoOne-NBA

Postby Lumikai on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:49 pm

fluxation wrote:I also refrain from using 'bad' words now, I am just really sarcastic which gets people as equally annoyed and you can't get banned for it :) So im still toxic but because I'm not using trigger words im not banned.

You can still get manually banned if you're toxic. Just not auto-banned.

fluxation wrote:I would honestly prefer they just perma ban me from using chat, I genuinley can't refrain from being toxic when I get angry, like when my team mates who are doing much worse than me are flaming me with: what a save and nice shot's, after every attempt.

You can do this yourself, just unbind the chat key binding in options->Controls->View/Change Key bindings.
Lumikai
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Tentacles on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:57 pm

fluxation wrote:
Tentacles wrote:I can see why OP got banned, PoS thinks it is ok to throw around words like "retarded". Get banned more, your intolerance is disgusting.

Triggered b0ys, another snowflake, what ever happened to sticks and stones, grow up. What would you do is someone said that infront of you, call the police?

No, I'm a man I would beat their ass. 1v1 me kid IRL.
Tentacles
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:58 pm

fluxation wrote:I genuinley can't refrain from being toxic when I get angry, like when my team mates who are doing much worse than me are flaming me with: what a save and nice shot's, after every attempt.

To quote you back at yourself...
fluxation wrote:Triggered b0ys, another snowflake, what ever happened to sticks and stones, grow up. What would you do is someone said that infront of you, call the police?

You can see the irony there, can't you?
NoOne-NBA

Postby CelePlayz on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Retarded is a very strong word to use, regardless or online or in real life because someone could actually have previous history of brain damage or anything very bad and it could also offend a normal person just as much, so you got banned, it's ur fault for using that word. Your ban was a good ban, nice one, mods!
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Idk what I said,
And nor did you.
I suck as you can see below :(
CelePlayz
Supersonic

PSN ID: CelePlayz
Steam ID: mlgpeppapig360
GamerTag: CeleGod

Postby E_M_E_T on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:20 pm

fluxation wrote:

Well yeah, if some stranger came up to me and started screaming profanities in my face, I'd do something about it. I might not NEED to call the police, but I might anyways because that usually scares away the shallow bullies. I've done it before, and it works; plus, when a local guard comes by to check it out, they're happy that even the mention of their name scared away the toxicity. Because in real life, you can't just bully people and get away with it. There are real laws in place and real charges for real offenses, like endangering the public or disturbing the peace. Perhaps that's why you'd rather just project your own immaturity onto everyone around you online.

All jokes aside, stop posting multiple times in a row. Don't you know how to use a forum? Maybe not, you barely have 10 posts. Just click the edit button and add to your original post. Better yet, read the whole thread before you comment! WOW! (I'm a genius, no need to thank me)

With your first 3 posts, you already lost many people's respect. With 10 posts, I'm not so sure you're going to be playing Rocket League for much longer... and not by choice. I am sure of, however, that when you are no longer in online multiplayer, everyone else will have a more peaceful, fun, and productive experience.
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby zGreenMachine- on Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:57 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
fluxation wrote:I genuinley can't refrain from being toxic when I get angry, like when my team mates who are doing much worse than me are flaming me with: what a save and nice shot's, after every attempt.

To quote you back at yourself...
fluxation wrote:Triggered b0ys, another snowflake, what ever happened to sticks and stones, grow up. What would you do is someone said that infront of you, call the police?

You can see the irony there, can't you?

Savage!
Mega Help Thread by Petoskey97
GC before S5 ends? it's not happening
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion