Toxic Developer

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Toxic Developer

Postby TheVictim on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:18 am

a developer that caters to the overly sensitive, self repressed, socially incapable "do nothing but complain from my computer chair" twitter generation is a developer that is toxic to the gaming industry as a whole.

just disable the chat all together if you cant handle it, whats the point?

you are not social heroes you are b level game developers. do not bring YOUR irrational ideals and social prejudices into the gaming world.

either open chat or disable it all together you are not even remotely qualified enough to be policing this.

if you're going to start being this petty you might as well ban goal scoring now because if you just give in every time someone complains you're just gonna have to get rid of the score board eventually. people hate it when i beat them.
TheVictim
Supersonic

Re: Toxic Developer

Postby AlexCuse44 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Okay...
AlexCuse44
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Postby JacobThePigeon on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 pm

The current automated ban system is clearly in need of some touch ups, I agree.

But your entire argument is based on assumptions, can't deny that.

The primary purpose of the ban system was to eliminate the use of certain words such as N****r, F****t, and other racial and/or discriminative terms that were deemed unusable by the developers. Using these words will get you banned almost immediately, if I recall correctly. Words such as F**k or S**t, and I believe the more general ones such as a*s can be used without an immediate ban, but I believe if reported can/will result in a ban.

Like I said, it needs to get worked on, but it takes time.

Patience is a virtue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby zGreenMachine- on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Before the new ban system there were endless threads about how toxic people are in chat and how nobody ever seems to get banned.

Mega Help Thread by Petoskey97
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby Alias on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 am

JacobThePigeon wrote:The current automated ban system is clearly in need of some touch ups, I agree.

But your entire argument is based on assumptions, can't deny that.

The primary purpose of the ban system was to eliminate the use of certain words such as N****r, F****t, and other racial and/or discriminative terms that were deemed unusable by the developers. Using these words will get you banned almost immediately, if I recall correctly. Words such as F**k or S**t, and I believe the more general ones such as a*s can be used without an immediate ban, but I believe if reported can/will result in a ban.

Like I said, it needs to get worked on, but it takes time.

Patience is a virtue.

A beautiful thing happened the other day. I was splaying a 1v1 with a dude and he was being toxic. I reported him for his name which was close to obscene at the start of the game but didn't tell him. He ended up winning by 1 goal. At the end of the celebration screen he says FU [email protected]@t bla bla bla and leaves before he thinks I could report him. Bam Banned. I let him know via his profile. Dude was livid. Sometimes this game is so worth it.
Alias
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Alias

Postby Tentacles on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:01 am

Ha tru tru
Tentacles
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby OsoMako on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:18 am

Meh, these threads are getting tiresome. I guess the system is working.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby littlebigleg on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 am

it must be working,thats 2 pretty long sessions ive played ,And been toxic free so far,Good job Psyonix
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby TheVictim on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:35 am

lol i love how you weak people just welcome oppression. its cowardly.

big brother will take care of you, no worries.
TheVictim
Supersonic

Postby littlebigleg on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:47 am

TheVictim wrote:lol i love how you weak people just welcome oppression. its cowardly.

a tad ironic with that user name lol
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby TheVictim on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:02 am

littlebigleg wrote:
TheVictim wrote:lol i love how you weak people just welcome oppression. its cowardly.

a tad ironic with that user name lol

thats the point.
TheVictim
Supersonic

Postby JacobThePigeon on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:52 pm

*gets banned for swearing in rl*

"oppression"

This is a video game dude, calm down lol.

You break ToS you can/will be punished for it. That's how it works for every official game, company, and business.

This system was made specifically to prevent discriminative comments towards other players via in-game chat. Taking away your ability to swear in a game isn't oppression, sorry.

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

Postby Tentacles on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Freedom of speech is a huge thing around the world. Psyonix just shat all over it.
Tentacles
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: Tentacles

Postby littlebigleg on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Freedom of speech does not translate to freedom to be a dick to random people playing a computer game lol
littlebigleg
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby zGreenMachine- on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Tentacles wrote:Freedom of speech is a huge thing around the world. Psyonix just shat all over it.

It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Verbal abuse/harassment is grounds for termination in most workplaces because they occur in privately owned places of employment and employees must agree to the rules enforced by their employers. Psyonix is legally allowed to police their own product however they choose. You agree to their ToS to play their game and if you violate it they can ban you from playing their game.

I do think it would be better to outright censor certain words across all platforms (with an option to not censor?) and bans should begin with chat bans before moving to matchmaking bans.

Mega Help Thread by Petoskey97
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby midnightgreen20 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Again, can't we just make a bigger push for player created lobbies instead of all of this nonsense? If Psyonix actually took time to come up with an actual solution to the problem, this would be way more efficient than this banning bullshit they are trying to push on the game.
midnightgreen20
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midnightgreen20

Postby JacobThePigeon on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:09 pm

midnightgreen20 wrote:Again, can't we just make a bigger push for player created lobbies instead of all of this nonsense? If Psyonix actually took time to come up with an actual solution to the problem, this would be way more efficient than this banning bullshit they are trying to push on the game.

You can already create your own lobby/party and create a private match. If you were thinking ranked player-created lobbies, that's a no-no. That leaves too much room for failure. Examples including, but not limited to point-farming, fixed games, easy rankups/boosting, easy deranking, and more.

I believe the easiest solution would be to put a pause on the automated banning system, and introduce the console version's word censoring/filtering that simply stars out the word, and of course there should be a toggle for it.

I believe the most efficient solution would be to rework the current system to stay automated, but make the first offense an in-chat warning in red text, along with a temporary chat ban. The second offense would result in a longer temporary chat ban, third offense more severe, so on and so forth.

Just my two cents.
@Dirkened

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

Postby midnightgreen20 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:31 pm

JacobThePigeon wrote:
midnightgreen20 wrote:Again, can't we just make a bigger push for player created lobbies instead of all of this nonsense? If Psyonix actually took time to come up with an actual solution to the problem, this would be way more efficient than this banning bullshit they are trying to push on the game.

You can already create your own lobby/party and create a private match. If you were thinking ranked player-created lobbies, that's a no-no. That leaves too much room for failure. Examples including, but not limited to point-farming, fixed games, easy rankups/boosting, easy deranking, and more.

I believe the easiest solution would be to put a pause on the automated banning system, and introduce the console version's word censoring/filtering that simply stars out the word, and of course there should be a toggle for it.

I believe the most efficient solution would be to rework the current system to stay automated, but make the first offense an in-chat warning in red text, along with a temporary chat ban. The second offense would result in a longer temporary chat ban, third offense more severe, so on and so forth.

Just my two cents.
@Dirkened

No, you cannot create your own lobby. You can create a single match, but not a full lobby. That is something that they need to actually create in this game, but most likely won't.

It is the best and easiest solution to the problem because it puts more control in the players' hands. Right now, you are hoping automation does its job correctly. But that is not something that will ever really come to fruition.
midnightgreen20
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midnightgreen20

Postby JacobThePigeon on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 am

midnightgreen20 wrote:No, you cannot create your own lobby. You can create a single match, but not a full lobby. That is something that they need to actually create in this game, but most likely won't.

It is the best and easiest solution to the problem because it puts more control in the players' hands. Right now, you are hoping automation does its job correctly. But that is not something that will ever really come to fruition.

Oh, you mean community servers. I agree, I would love to see community servers for Rocket League.

I still don't understand how this will fix the issues in casual and ranked playlists, because community server Administrators would only be able to administrate within their own community servers, because Psyonix won't just hand out banning ability for official ranked and casual playlists.

What exactly do you mean by full lobbies?

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

Postby Skaldy on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:22 am

Auto-ban is working just fine IMHO. Unranked is more relaxed, and Competitive is more focussed.

The problem with censoring words instead, or having red warnings, is that trolls will rapidly seek word variations that are not covered. The combination of an initial 24-hour ban and a hidden word list is intentional - it discourages ANY abuse going forward.

There's been a drop of around 3% in the Steam player count, but I expect "normal" players can happily live with that.
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Region: EU

Next

Return to General Discussion