The matchmaking is fine.

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

The matchmaking is fine.

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Yep, it's fine.

http://i.imgur.com/4YNu2Zv.jpg

1v1, apparently that's the best the mm can do. Literally needs to find a single player and it just can't be bothered to do a decent match. Before the usual suspects come in, we'll get the usual excuse out of the way. No, I wasn't on a win streak and no it's not balanced because it was 2:1, I forfeited before the 3rd went in as I was clearly outclassed and no, "learn from it" is no excuse for that match up.

With teams, especially mixed rank, fair enough, if can be hard. 1v1 and the mm just can't be bothered to put any effort and of course I still take a div down because it still takes basically the same points away.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Re: The matchmaking is fine.

Postby Tentacles on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Get that winstreak sun. The div down is the best part. Rip balance.
Tentacles
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Roll up, roll up, see the amazing matchmaking.

http://i.imgur.com/LCaHYuo.jpg

Literally the first 1v1 I played. 2000 or so players in the play list, once again the mm does that. Funny enough, not once has it gone, well you can play a platinum 1.

So I guess the mm is just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. No excuse for that in 1v1.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby spoons on Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Plat 3 v Diamond 2? Thats like 2 levels ahead.

That really isnt that bad lol.

I guess you want to play someone in your exact division every time?

News flash, if you cant beat that rank you probably dont deserve to be there.
spoons
Acrobatic

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:54 pm

News flash, I never said I deserve to be there.

And no, I don't expect to play the exact same rank every single time. I'll even give the game a pass for team modes where it has to try it's best to balance. 1v1, where it has to play find a single player and the best it can do is 2 ranks up. Huge difference between plat 3 and diamond 2 in 1s.

I suppose a champ 2 playing nothing but GCs is fine as well. Most of the gcs are pros and top players in general, but ah it's only 2 ranks.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby wsupchris1222444 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:18 pm

spoons wrote:Plat 3 v Diamond 2? Thats like 2 levels ahead.

News flash, 2 complete levels ahead is a major skill gap
The removal of Neo Tokyo has improved the game for the majority of players
wsupchris1222444
Acrobatic

PSN ID: wsupchris1222444
Region: US

Postby Jandeboi on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:25 pm

spoons wrote:Plat 3 v Diamond 2? Thats like 2 levels ahead.

Dude, thats 2 whole ranks above him, yeah its bad.
I myself am (well was) Diamond 2 on 3v3, and I'm being put against like diamond 3. Yeah, thats not a big deal. The big deal is that I get some plat 3 players on my team that just get outclassed so hard.

I dont know what kind of ranking system they use on rocket league but god dangit it sucks horse poo sometimes.
Jandeboi
Supersonic

Steam ID: KusipääJande

Postby YourWorstEnemy on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Lol at all the guys who say "maybe you don't deserve to be in that rank". Grow up. What this guy is saying is that he shouldn't be matched with someone not even in the same division. That's total bs. I'm with ya op
YourWorstEnemy
Supersonic

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 pm

So, not really played 1v1 for a while, jump in for a game or two and nothing has changed. Once again being match with players 2 ranks above me. Diamond 1, fair enough, diamond 2, jog on psyonix.

http://i.imgur.com/JJRczRh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YdUKoFx.jpg

And no, I wasn't on a win streak. Really is it that hard? 2500 or so players on, even splitting across regions and ranks, a 1v1 playlist, the game has to find one other player to play with and apparently it can only manage diamond 2 over and over again and of course losing still tanks your points.

Diamond 1 fair enough, rank above me. Diamond 2, ridiculous. 1v1 it doesn't even have to deal with trying to average the team because psyonix does nothing about boosting and yet still, even with that out of the way, a fair match is asking too much. Not that it would make it any better, but it never seems to do it the other way and put someone two ranks below me.

I wish their was a game like this from a competent dev. If this game was in a more congested genre (like say fps), then psyonix would be forced to fix it or the game dies.

Would also be nice to see someone from Psyonix in a topic criticising their game. Quick enough to show up on reddit when someone is calling them the best devs ever, yet never turn up to topics criticising the game.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:08 pm

So which one of you fine people want to justify this

http://imgur.com/a/Bs59d

Diamond 1 vs platinum 2. Of course I get a div down and to top it off, the guy was on a winstreak. So I get on a winstreak=play well above my skill. This fella gets on a winstreak and is allowed to punch down?

Your matchmaking is a disgrace.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby E_M_E_T on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 pm

oh stop it with the complaining, come back when you're a champion 1 or 2 and you get plat 3s on your team, then you'll understand REAL bullshit
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 am

Oh well, say no more. If it's worse for champions, then I guess everything is fine and no one else can complain.

I'll stop complaining when Psyonix take time away from their grueling schedule of releasing crates and fix the game instead.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby xkoeckiiej on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 am

E_M_E_T wrote:oh stop it with the complaining, come back when you're a champion 1 or 2 and you get plat 3s on your team, then you'll understand REAL bullshit

We shouldnt give them attention anymore lol.
Cant get a proper constructive discussion with them anyhow, so no point in replying to them.
xkoeckiiej
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej
Region: EU

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:48 am

Proper constructive discussion like "champions have it worse, so be quiet". Very constructive that.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby OsoMako on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30 am

Technically Champions do have it worse since there are fewer similar ranked players to match with them, so they see the thing that you're seeing more often.

The difference is that they carry it upon themselves to protect their rank and don't cry when they fail to do so, whereas you just lose yours and whine. If you won any of those games, you'd get plenty of points to reward you for it. And you can't just lose none for losing a game, so yeah, you'll div down from it sometimes. Just see it as an opportunity to play against a higher tier player. Sometimes you win and get a fat stack of points. The higher level player has way more to lose than you do.

Really though, a two rank difference isn't insane -- even for a 1v1.
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:36 pm

OsoMako wrote:Technically Champions do have it worse since there are fewer similar ranked players to match with them, so they see the thing that you're seeing more often.

Ok, they have it worse. So only the champions matter then, as long as the champions are suffering worse than everyone else, it's fine and no one else should say anything.

OsoMako wrote:

The difference is that they carry it upon themselves to protect their rank

So that's why so many smurf then? Even here, champions openly admitted to smurfing to protect their rank, rather than just deal with it.

OsoMako wrote:and don't cry when they fail to do so, whereas you just lose yours and whine.

So what your saying is, don't complain? The matchmaking is poor, but we shouldn't complain and just learn to deal with it and just keep giving Psyonix a free pass for everything.

Why bother having this forum then? May as well close it down as practically every topic here can be "whining". Alternate maps, whining, slow car/input bug thread thingy, whining. Servers....whining.

Just gotta deal with everything, game is fine.

OsoMako wrote: If you won any of those games, you'd get plenty of points to reward you for it. And you can't just lose none for losing a game, so yeah, you'll div down from it sometimes. Just see it as an opportunity to play against a higher tier player. Sometimes you win and get a fat stack of points. The higher level player has way more to lose than you do.

You don't get a fat stack of points though. I've won against higher rank players, you don't get rewarded anywhere near enough. You get 2-3 points more than if it's the same rank.

OsoMako wrote:

And the win streak? That play was on a winstreak (I checked), why are they getting to punch down on a winstreak? And I'd disagree for 1v1, it's large. Even if the skill difference in 1s was not that big, it's still bad. Other modes where it's trying to balance a team of mixed ranks, can be cut some slack , a mode where it needs to find a single player and the best it can do is 2 ranks higher.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby PocketFullOfSunshine on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 pm

OsoMako wrote:The difference is that they carry it upon themselves to protect their rank and don't cry when they fail to do so, whereas you just lose yours and whine.

When moderators agree that the community is toxic yet they engage in toxic behavior :lol:
PocketFullOfSunshine
Acrobatic

Postby wsupchris1222444 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:48 pm

PocketFullOfSunshine wrote:
OsoMako wrote:The difference is that they carry it upon themselves to protect their rank and don't cry when they fail to do so, whereas you just lose yours and whine.

When moderators agree that the community is toxic yet they engage in toxic behavior :lol:

lol, I'll admit though they do give us a long leash before getting warned, suspended or banned
The removal of Neo Tokyo has improved the game for the majority of players
wsupchris1222444
Acrobatic

PSN ID: wsupchris1222444
Region: US

Postby Hayaweh on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:45 am

OsoMako wrote:Technically Champions do have it worse since there are fewer similar ranked players to match with them, so they see the thing that you're seeing more often.

The difference is that they carry it upon themselves to protect their rank and don't cry when they fail to do so, whereas you just lose yours and whine. If you won any of those games, you'd get plenty of points to reward you for it. And you can't just lose none for losing a game, so yeah, you'll div down from it sometimes. Just see it as an opportunity to play against a higher tier player. Sometimes you win and get a fat stack of points. The higher level player has way more to lose than you do.

I don't want to seem negativist. But you will at beast win what, 1 more point? You get completely outclassed, may with on a fluke, earn 1 more point.
If you lose, you lose exactly the same amount of points, if not more.
Happened to us with my usual 2v2 mate. We're both Diamond 2. We lose quite badly because well, there was a champ and a champ 2. We defend ourselves, but still. Then you see that you lost a div and 11 or 12 points. It just hurts.

I'm really sorry. But I just can't get the logic behind the matchmaking and I'm a game dev, usually understanding game mechanics and envisioning how things work is my thing to do. But when seemingly I see tens and tens of people not understanding it and seeing the same things I do. All I can say is that there's something wrong.

I don't know, maybe they did the stuffs and forgot to press the release button on it? Or pressed it and it broke and it never got pushed?

But regardless, the matchmaking and the Elo system currently is not stable, nor is it fair.

And as E_M_E_T mentionned. It's not better at Champion. So isn't everybody agreeing that something is wrong? I can't care less at the tier at which is happens and that you want to wage war on who's got the biggest and who's got the worse problem in the world. But the real issue is that the issue is being noticed at every ranks (aside of GC because there's no higher)...

On another note:
I see that Mr.Grand Champion is once again only here to bash at people claiming that the matchmaking's equations are not correct. I can see that he still does not understand how different it is for him, since he's at the top. (And I know it's no use to discuss with him since we "Cant get a proper constructive discussion with them anyhow, so no point in replying" to him. :)
Hayaweh
Acrobatic

Steam ID: [NB] Hayaweh
Region: United Kingdom

Postby xkoeckiiej on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 am

Straight on the money.

E_M_E_T wrote:oh stop it with the complaining, come back when you're a champion 1 or 2 and you get plat 3s on your team, then you'll understand REAL bullshit

Id rather have that, after 15 min of waiting , than no game at all.
xkoeckiiej
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej
Region: EU

Next

Return to General Discussion