Starbase ARC and Wasteland Redesigned as Standard Arenas

Official announcements and news relating to Rocket League.

Re: Starbase ARC and Wasteland Redesigned as Standard Arenas

Postby Tentacles on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:18 am

Stlaymore wrote:P.S. Please modify winstreak system soon, it's too unforgiving.

This.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby OsoMako on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:07 am

I'm going to have some time to compose my thoughts on this. Some quick ones though:

1) Why remove non-standard arenas on casual? Casual has been ruined enough by the recent AI replacement bugs, now it's going to be forced to be as boring and toxic as competitive? If I wanted that, I'd be on competitive already.

2) Saying Rocket Labs is a bad playlist is like saying agriculture doesn't work -- except that you plant your crops and then ignore them for over a year, never tending to the issues that everyone makes you aware of with them. Oh and now they're dead? Wow, what a big f'in surprise.

3) Maybe you'll notice that new things in Rocket League draw a lot of interest for a few weeks, then die off. Does that mean they're bad? Maybe. Or maybe the developers don't focus enough on providing long term replayability for ANYTHING new that they release. When's the last time they released a new map for a different mode? Have they EVER? They've "ported" over different skinned maps ... but nothing unique.

4) Totally agree with N7Mith on a separate non-standard ranked playlist. At least test it out!
Steam Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby UnknownMaster21 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:00 am

OsoMako wrote:I'm going to have some time to compose my thoughts on this. Some quick ones though:

1) Why remove non-standard arenas on casual? Casual has been ruined enough by the recent AI replacement bugs, now it's going to be forced to be as boring and toxic as competitive? If I wanted that, I'd be on competitive already.

2) Saying Rocket Labs is a bad playlist is like saying agriculture doesn't work -- except that you plant your crops and then ignore them for over a year, never tending to the issues that everyone makes you aware of with them. Oh and now they're dead? Wow, what a big f'in surprise.

3) Maybe you'll notice that new things in Rocket League draw a lot of interest for a few weeks, then die off. Does that mean they're bad? Maybe. Or maybe the developers don't focus enough on providing long term replayability for ANYTHING new that they release. When's the last time they released a new map for a different mode? Have they EVER? They've "ported" over different skinned maps ... but nothing unique.

4) Totally agree with N7Mith on a separate non-standard ranked playlist. At least test it out!

+1.

I do not play much anything else than competitive, but due this announcement, and because no regular starbase arc on casual/ranked playlists, It will be last time I touch on those playlists and switch to other fun modes, such as DropShot, Hoops and Rocket Labs. ( 4 vs 4 will be an exception though. )

When time arrives, gameplay at mentioned playlists will be reduced for me.

But, I will see whole rocket league community will be split in two sides.
Neo-Tokyo, Starbase ARC, Wastelands...
...Those are reason I STOPPED playing ranked
UnknownMaster21
Acrobatic

Steam ID: UnknownMaster21
Region: EU

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:52 am

Stlaymore wrote:
Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:Another change largly driven by the privileged top %. As if it wasn't clear before, Psyonix only care for the pros and those at the top with the potential to move over. The rest of us are just to be milked for keys, once again for the benefit of the top few.

May as well not bother with any new maps if it's just reskins from now on. No point. Can throw the money saved at the pro players, seem to focus everything else on them, so may as well give them so extra.

I doubt this change was for the top%. After the standardized Tokyo update, many people were asking for the same to happen to these two maps, and not just in the forums. Many people here have said that these maps were on their disliked list. And, as the developer said, they gathered this information from their like/dislike system's data.

Devs also specifically said they were introduced for pro play, but were not embraced. Same as neo tokyo, one of the reasons it went was lack of use in pro play. It's not just this one issue, it's clear e-sports/the pros wants/opinions hold far more weight than the general community. Psyonix don't even fix bugs until the pros complain.

Proton boost. People complaining about it tanking fps when used. Nothing. Pro player says proton boost is effecting them (lachinio iirc) and suddenly psyonix are looking into it.

Demos & bumps broken since the game came out. People complained, Psyonix done nothing, while the shills just claimed it's latency. A broken demo/bump happens on lan at RLCS, and oh look at that, Psyonix are looking into it. Fix didn't work, but Psyonix never moved on it until it happened at rlcs.

As for community complaints, well the community has been complaining about a lot of things, that funny enough don't effect the top players and to the shock of no one, haven't been addressed.

Smurfing. Community is constantly complaining about it and what's been done, fuck all, that's what. Before any one gives me the "it's hard" excuse, plenty of pros openly smurf, so do plenty of youtubers and streamers, you could start there. Don't have to be well nothing is ever going to work 100%, so may as well not bother.

Boosting. Psyonix do fuck all again. Take rewards away from a few tokens accounts, but that does nothing about all the games ruined by it. Paid boosting services of course have top 100 players doing it, so psyonix turn a blind eye.

Bad mm. I'm not talking about the usual "my teamates are bad". But the game will frequently match you 2+ ranks above even in 1v1 where it's not trying to balance teams and no, "winstreak" was not happening at the time. Players are still abusing the mm with massive party differences. Psyonix had a solution (match by highest member) and rolled it back because they listened to those abusing it "oh, I'm superstar and my friends are only prospect and we can't play now" and Psyonix bought it. Champion matchmaking has been rolled back for some unknown reason as well or is just broken.

Winstreaks=broken.

None of those problems affect the top % of players, so funnily enough, Psyonix ignore them despite the community consistently complaining.

Even asking Psyonix for something is wishing on a monkeys paw. Community constantly asks for a customisable Batmobile, we finally get one in the Mantis, but of course, can't just buy it, nah, it's gotta be a crate item.

Seems like anything we do get is just trickle down from if it effects e-sports/pros. Stuff that the community complains about for a long time, but has 0 effect on top % of players, just sits there.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby Doomstrike on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Labs is dead because there is no rewards. Make labs a seperate ranked playlist with it's own rewards and I guaranty you will see lasting increase in population. I'd play labs non stop if there was a reason to play it
Doomstrike
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: Doomstrike
Steam ID: meDoomstrike
Region: Canada West

Postby zGreenMachine- on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:Community constantly asks for a customisable Batmobile

This is a licensing issue. It's the same reason why Sweet Tooth and the Delorean can't be customized as well.
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US CST

Postby Phylush on Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:18 pm

FINALLY, goodbye non-standard maps!
Phylush
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Phylush
Region: US

Postby Fish_Goes_Moo on Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:42 pm

zGreenMachine- wrote:

This is a licensing issue. It's the same reason why Sweet Tooth and the Delorean can't be customized as well.

Don't cut the rest of it off. " we finally get one in the Mantis". It's quite obvious I was talking about the hitbox size/shape and turning of the car and not literally the Batmobile but no, someone is talking negative about Psyonix, so lets just be pedantic and bring up the license issue because he didn't say "a car with the same hitbox shape and turning radius as the Batmobile" and just said customisable batmobile, despite it being blatently obvious from context what is meant. Anything to deflect criticism away from Psyonix.
Fish_Goes_Moo
Acrobatic

Postby zGreenMachine- on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Fish_Goes_Moo wrote:
zGreenMachine- wrote:

Don't cut the rest of it off. " we finally get one in the Mantis". It's quite obvious I was talking about the hitbox size/shape and turning of the car and not literally the Batmobile but no, someone is talking negative about Psyonix, so lets just be pedantic and bring up the license issue because he didn't say "a car with the same hitbox shape and turning radius as the Batmobile" and just said customisable batmobile, despite it being blatently obvious from context what is meant. Anything to deflect criticism away from Psyonix.

Ok, you're right about me cutting that off, my bad. I have issues with cars being in crates only now too. But with an attitude like that I don't see reason to respond to any more of your points because I know all I'm going to get back is attitude and insults.
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby midnightgreen20 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:37 am

Pretty questionable decision IMO. Psyonix is leaning too heavily into the competitive side of things, because people don't want variety in the maps. They'd rather keep it all the same for the sake of trying to compete in tournaments. Only problem with that is it removes the possibility for a good counter pick when it comes to maps. That actually made some of the earlier tournaments quite exciting.
midnightgreen20
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midnightgreen20

Postby Tentacles on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:48 pm

midnightgreen20 wrote:Pretty questionable decision IMO. Psyonix is leaning too heavily into the competitive side of things, because people don't want variety in the maps. They'd rather keep it all the same for the sake of trying to compete in tournaments. Only problem with that is it removes the possibility for a good counter pick when it comes to maps. That actually made some of the earlier tournaments quite exciting.

I don't think it's questionable when they take into consideration the massive amount of dislikes on those maps in ranked.
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby N7Mith on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:58 pm

Tentacles wrote:
midnightgreen20 wrote:Pretty questionable decision IMO. Psyonix is leaning too heavily into the competitive side of things, because people don't want variety in the maps. They'd rather keep it all the same for the sake of trying to compete in tournaments. Only problem with that is it removes the possibility for a good counter pick when it comes to maps. That actually made some of the earlier tournaments quite exciting.

I don't think it's questionable when they take into consideration the massive amount of dislikes on those maps in ranked.

True :(
But they also have the number of likes, surely those will speak enough for the supporters of the maps to warrant a seperate playlist.

:::Still mourning the loss of Neo Tokyo:::
N7Mith
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Tentacles on Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:34 am

N7Mith wrote:
Tentacles wrote:

True :(
But they also have the number of likes, surely those will speak enough for the supporters of the maps to warrant a seperate playlist.

I love the maps, just not in competition. It sucks so many people quit when they pop in casuals. If only we had community servers....
Tentacles
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

Postby iNomNomAwesome on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Oh I love tasting all of the salt in this thread. After having to put up with these terrible map designs for so long because of the whining of a few people, now the rest of us finally get to enjoy the game and let the casual players run back to their Rocket Labs playlist.
iNomNomAwesome
Supersonic

PSN ID: iNomNomAwesome

Postby zGreenMachine- on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:37 pm

iNomNomAwesome wrote:now the rest of us finally get to enjoy the game and let the casual players run back to their Rocket Labs playlist.

How dare the developers try to incorporate some variety and new concepts into the game. Screw the casuals who happen to enjoy something different!

oh wait, I rather enjoy Labs :(
zGreenMachine-
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby CelePlayz on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Not pls get Startbase Arc off the maps, we've talked about this.
Everyone disliked the Starbase Arc map because how easy it was to score by jut hitting it on the wall without the ball off the wall you can score, it's annoying how that happens. Pls take the doubles map of it off...
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Idk what I said,
And nor did you.
I suck as you can see below :(
CelePlayz
Supersonic

PSN ID: CelePlayz
Steam ID: mlgpeppapig360
GamerTag: CeleGod
Region: EU

Postby E_M_E_T on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:30 am

I know it's not very useful to say this now, but if Rocket League came out with 5 or 6 uniquely shaped arenas, no one would complain. Psyonix created a contradiction to their own philosophy by promoting a "standard" from the very beginning, and now we all have to pay for it. The reason why no one complained in SARPBC is because every map was different. Some were more popular than others, but everyone understood that this was all part of the game. When Rocket League originally released with 10 versions of the same map with no "non-standard" maps, it gave everyone the impression that any new unique map would be treated casually. If we actually had a selection of different shapes to choose from, there would actually be a point in having map bans/picks in competitive play, adding a new dimension to tournament strategy. Now, whenever someone loses on wasteland or starbase, people just blame the map instead of trying to improve themselves. I guess they're going to be rewarded for being self-centered.

It's been two years and we literally have a grand total of three unique maps. Just as people were starting to give them a chance, Neo Tokyo gets removed. Rocket Labs maps were given a chance, but the loud few who cried wolf somehow were the ones that people listened to.

Gambit saw this disaster happening before anyone, and in hindsight, I was blinded by the promises that Psyonix made during the alpha.
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: USW... but idrc

Postby Desirsar on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 am

E_M_E_T wrote:I know it's not very useful to say this now

Nah, totally useful to point out, and as often as a thread or game developer comes along where it is relevant. It's too late for Rocket League, but Rocket League 2076 might benefit from remembering this. Psyonix knows now, and hopefully every other developer notices and plans for this as well.
Desirsar
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Desirsar

Postby JacobThePigeon on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:21 pm

E_M_E_T wrote:I know it's not very useful to say this now, but if Rocket League came out with 5 or 6 uniquely shaped arenas, no one would complain. Psyonix created a contradiction to their own philosophy by promoting a "standard" from the very beginning, and now we all have to pay for it. The reason why no one complained in SARPBC is because every map was different. Some were more popular than others, but everyone understood that this was all part of the game. When Rocket League originally released with 10 versions of the same map with no "non-standard" maps, it gave everyone the impression that any new unique map would be treated casually. If we actually had a selection of different shapes to choose from, there would actually be a point in having map bans/picks in competitive play, adding a new dimension to tournament strategy. Now, whenever someone loses on wasteland or starbase, people just blame the map instead of trying to improve themselves.

I couldn't agree more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - JacobThePigeon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - Steam Image | Allied-Gaming Image | Luxury Auto Body Image - -

JacobThePigeon
Community Helper
Community Helper

PSN ID: JacobLePigeon
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:110014782
Region: Canada (US-E)

Postby King_Sean313 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Different arenas make the game interseting, if all of the arenas are going to be same why make new ones. Players cant keep crying about everything because its not going their way, you have to adapt to the enviorment your in and not treat every match like its the same. It makes things less competitive and boring. I commend new arena layouts. Nobody cried on SARPBC
King_Sean313
Supersonic

PSN ID: King_Sean313

PreviousNext

Return to Official Messages