Phone App

Post your suggestions for improving the game!

Phone App

Postby NY11725 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:20 am

Just throwing this out there. Would be great to one day see a forum app for iOS and Android, or even just Android :mrgreen:

Just if you do, please use Tapatalk 2's layout, and not Tapatalk 4's layout because 4 stinks compared to 2.
•© NY11725 •©

Ryan094 wrote:I act like a 5 year old

Ryan094 wrote:I have no life... :cheesygrin:

Ryan094 wrote:Oh my god, I'm so incredibly stupid. :lol:
NY11725
Jeutron
Jeutron

PSN ID: NY11725
Region: US

Re: Phone App

Postby RAHTRICKRAH on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:15 pm

What's the issue with viewing the forum in the browser? Or do you have fat chipolata fingers and therefore lack the dexterity and intricacy to do so?

Try a HTC One.
RAHTRICKRAH
Acrobatic

PSN ID: Guess

Postby Psyonix-Cone on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Viewing these forums is god-awful on my phone (Nexus 4). Random text sizes, tiny buttons.
Psyonix-Cone
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Postby BC4LIFE on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 am

Why is Windows phone always ignored :( Is the OS hard to make content on or what? It's a good OS in my opinion, works very well with a phone. I have an Android device though.

I will upgrade the quality of my sig soon.
BC4LIFE
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: RCmies
Region: EU

Postby TruSolja on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 am

Because most people buy Apple, or Droid, in that order. Microsoft doesn't have a lot of marketshare in the smartphone business. So most app developers make their apps for iOS first, then Droid, and finally MS, if it sells really well and they think its worth porting over. Obviously there are exceptions to that, of course. As for browsing the forums on my phone...mine (iPhone 5C) looks very similar to browsing from the PC, but interacting with the site is a nightmare because the buttons are tiny and I have to zoom in to be accurate.
Image Image Image Image
TruSolja

PSN ID: TruSolja
Steam ID: TruSolja
GamerTag: YourHolySavior

Postby digdog22 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:48 am

No need for an app, unless it was connected with BC1 or RL in some way. A dual platform of sorts. That's not something that's necessary though.
digdog22 = klipsch_ = viingtdeux
digdog22
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: digdog22
Steam ID: viingtdeux
Region: US, EU

Postby ollyp23 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:53 am

RAHTRICKRAH wrote:What's the issue with viewing the forum in the browser? Or do you have fat chipolata fingers and therefore lack the dexterity and intricacy to do so?

This guy.

Atomic Man
oneill_clan wrote:The 10 seconds remaining countdown by the crowd....incredible!!!!!
ollyp23
Ryanistic
Ryanistic

PSN ID: ollyp23

Postby Hot Koolaid on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 am

Is the forum really that exciting that you would want to be on it while you're out? I'm fine with just waiting till I get home to check on my computer.
I'm a beast in that regard
Hot Koolaid
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: HOT__Koolaid
Region: Both

Postby mikhd002 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Psyonix-Cone wrote:Viewing these forums is god-awful on my phone (Nexus 4). Random text sizes, tiny buttons.

you have the same phone as me, with the same problems.

I agree with this though.
Hot Koolaid wrote:Is the forum really that exciting that you would want to be on it while you're out? I'm fine with just waiting till I get home to check on my computer.
made by el-trickser
mikhd002
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: mikhd002
Steam ID: mikhd002

Postby IdleHacker on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:51 pm

TruSolja wrote:Because most people buy Apple, or Droid, in that order.

Umm, Android had a 79% worldwide market share last I heard....might want to re-check your order
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. - Benjamin Franklin
Integrity has no need of rules. - Albert Camus

Helpful links - Rocket League FAQ - Forum Icon legend
IdleHacker
ARC Beta Tester
ARC Beta Tester

PSN ID: IdleHacker
Steam ID: jeff_carter

Postby IdleHacker on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Hot Koolaid wrote:Is the forum really that exciting that you would want to be on it while you're out? I'm fine with just waiting till I get home to check on my computer.

You don't have to be out to use your phone...
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. - Benjamin Franklin
Integrity has no need of rules. - Albert Camus

Helpful links - Rocket League FAQ - Forum Icon legend
IdleHacker
ARC Beta Tester
ARC Beta Tester

PSN ID: IdleHacker
Steam ID: jeff_carter

Postby Hot Koolaid on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:17 pm

IdleHacker wrote:

If that is the case you can use a computer or tablet.
Hot Koolaid
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby RAHTRICKRAH on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Hot Koolaid wrote:
IdleHacker wrote:

If that is the case you can use a computer or tablet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
RAHTRICKRAH
Acrobatic

PSN ID: Guess

Postby JadaSki on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:44 pm

I have used the normal website for so long on my various devices, im not sure i would use the app xD
Psyonix-Jerad wrote:We're going to have a slumber party to watch it in our jammies.
JadaSki
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: PlutoniumFalcon
Region: USA

Postby TruSolja on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:39 pm

IdleHacker wrote:

Umm, Android had a 79% worldwide market share last I heard....might want to re-check your order

Sorry, I wasn't implying more people buy Apple vs Droid phones, I was referring to developers preference to make iOS first based on app sales alone. For every 1 iPhone model running iOS, there are 10 Droid phones. Droid is a software like Windows, it's not hardware specific like iOS is. More apps are build on iOS first for a number of reasons, mainly sales and development/testing being cheaper since iOS is very limited to maybe a dozen devices at a time max? Whereas Droid can be on hundreds of devices, so it can be very tricky to create "perfect" software, if that could even exist. For the same reason that multi-platform games don't cater to the individual hardware and are susceptible to more bugs than exclusive development on one system.
Image Image Image Image
TruSolja

Postby Hot Koolaid on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 pm

TruSolja wrote:
IdleHacker wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't implying more people buy Apple vs Droid phones, I was referring to developers preference to make iOS first based on app sales alone. For every 1 iPhone model running iOS, there are 10 Droid phones. Droid is a software like Windows, it's not hardware specific like iOS is. More apps are build on iOS first for a number of reasons, mainly sales and development/testing being cheaper since iOS is very limited to maybe a dozen devices at a time max? Whereas Droid can be on hundreds of devices, so it can be very tricky to create "perfect" software, if that could even exist. For the same reason that multi-platform games don't cater to the individual hardware and are susceptible to more bugs than exclusive development on one system.

ARC squadron came out on Android first
Hot Koolaid
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby TruSolja on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:17 am

Maybe Psyonix uses/likes Droid phones? Believe me I'm aware of that, I had to wait a while to play it.

I can name 10 exclusive Android apps while we are at it. I'm just talking in general, folks. Wowzers.
Image Image Image Image
TruSolja

Postby mikhd002 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:50 am

TruSolja wrote:Maybe Psyonix uses/likes Droid phones? Believe me I'm aware of that, I had to wait a while to play it.

I can name 10 exclusive Android apps while we are at it. I'm just talking in general, folks. Wowzers.

To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, android is easier to initially develop for. Google's app approval process is much faster than Apple's, and there is an in built system for Beta testing etc. There is also no need for specific developer privileges and the android SDK is freely avaliable. Also android uses JavaScript in a fairly simple way, although since psyonix uses the UDK, I doubt that affected them much.
made by el-trickser
mikhd002
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: mikhd002
Steam ID: mikhd002

Postby TruSolja on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:59 pm

BINGO. It is in fact easier to develop for Android. It's open source. Apple, however, is very, very, very proprietary.

It won't make up for the -3 reputation I lost for being liking Apple in this thread, but I will upvote you for your helpfulness. :lol:

EDIT: -4. Haters gonna Hate!
Image Image Image Image
TruSolja

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:05 am

TruSolja wrote:Maybe Psyonix uses/likes Droid phones? Believe me I'm aware of that, I had to wait a while to play it.

Wat.

ARC came out on iOS about 6 months ahead of android. And using UE3 had everything to do with it, because while UE3 "supports" android, it was hardly shippable at the time, and it took a lot of additional work on our part to get it to a state that is acceptable for release. "Support" and "It works perfectly" are two very different things. Though, market forces had more to do with that decision than tech issues. We were featured on iOS for a while, which won't happen for a game released on Android at the same time. We were featured on the Play store for a time as well. It's also on the Amazon store, and nvidia shield thing, and pretty much whatever other things exist. We were featured on those as well. Timing is key.

It's not on the windows store because MS charged double what other markets did at the time, even though we had a "working" windows RT build ready to go.

We even had a Vita build for a time, but it barely worked at all. UE3 "supports" vita, but the rendering is messed up and we didn't have time to deal with that.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Psyonix-Jerad
Region: US/EU

Next

Return to Suggestions